Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Sizing a ball bag  (Read 2370 times)

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Sizing a ball bag
« on: January 30, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
What do you think? .54 round ball. 25 of them or so. Will that fit into a 4inch x 2 inch ball bag? 

I'm either going to make one or buy one.  I could use some ideas. I'm not going wild for the ball bags I see online. It's too hard to tell if they're any good for the photo alone.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Sizing a ball bag
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »

First, I would respectfully suggest glomming a paper bag, cut it apart, and glue yourself up a few different bags before determining the number of balls each will hold, then decide which fits yer druthers.

Secone, could you please post some pics of your endeavors...  :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
If you want to buy one, check out what I have listed in the trade blanket and then ask the fellas here about the quality, most of them own at least a couple, min size for 25 530 balls, 4 " tall by 2 &1/2 wide
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »
Beaverman said:
If you want to buy one, check out what I have listed in the trade blanket and then ask the fellas here about the quality, most of them own at least a couple, min size for 25 530 balls, 4 " tall by 2 &1/2 wide
I have some of Beaverman’s bags and they are well made, sturdy and well worth the price! :bl th up
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online KDubs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »
perfect timing for this post.
 Ive been practicing some wet forming leather,  specifically ball bags for my .54.
 4 x 2.5   got it.
 kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 08:13:23 PM »

First, I would respectfully suggest glomming a paper bag, cut it apart, and glue yourself up a few different bags before determining the number of balls each will hold

Thank you. Good advice. Also, to be clear, I'm talking about making a flat bottomed, draw string pouch that I can use to hold balls. Not a molded ball bag.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 10:12:00 PM »
I've got a couple of bags from the Beav a good while ago and they still work just fine. :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 10:12:42 PM »
perfect timing for this post.
 Ive been practicing some wet forming leather,  specifically ball bags for my .54.
 4 x 2.5   got it.
 kevin

Minimum 2.5 i'd go 2.75 for the sewn line as the width will shrink as it's formed, and a 5/8" plug to accommodate 45 to 56 cal
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 03:19:47 AM »
Beaverman said:
I have some of Beaverman’s bags and they are well made, sturdy and well worth the price! :bl th up

Same here!
When it comes to anything Leather, Jim's name should be "LeatherMan"....
And that's a fact, Jack!    :laffing

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
What do you think? .54 round ball. 25 of them or so. Will that fit into a 4inch x 2 inch ball bag? 

I'm either going to make one or buy one.  I could use some ideas. I'm not going wild for the ball bags I see online. It's too hard to tell if they're any good for the photo alone.

A 25 count round ball bag ought to serve you well. They are not hard to make - but if you don't have the material on hand to make a ball bag, it's best to just buy one. It'll be a whole lot cheaper going that route.

Now if you want to test yourself with a little leather work, by all means - make one...  :shake

NOTE: To me, a ball bag is nothing more then a leather draw string bag that feeds my "ball board" which dangles from the front carrying strap of my shooting bag... It's not a wood plugged "pear shaped" bag... I thought I should clarify this...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »
To me, a ball bag is nothing more then a leather draw string bag ... It's not a wood plugged "pear shaped" bag...

Yes, sir, we're talking about the same thing. I want a small pouch that sits in my possibles bag.  It can be leather, or some other stiff fabric. That way, I can reach into my bag to retrieve a ball. Load from the bag.  That's the plan.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »
To me, a ball bag is nothing more then a leather draw string bag ... It's not a wood plugged "pear shaped" bag...

Yes, sir, we're talking about the same thing. I want a small pouch that sits in my possibles bag.  It can be leather, or some other stiff fabric. That way, I can reach into my bag to retrieve a ball. Load from the bag.  That's the plan.

You could make one from pillow ticking - I've seen quite a few of them, or just any old medium to heavy duty cotton material... The material doesn't need to be water proof & canvas is a bit to stiff IMHO for use with a draw string. A lite leather works good. Hobby Lobby is a good source for material. And it don't need to be pretty - just practical for its intended use.

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »
I'm not even certain it needs drawstrings, Joe. It's just going to sit in the bag and an open top may make it easier to use. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »

If you (or anyone else) would like a bit of free 10 oz. canvas to make such a ball pouch/bag, just holler, I've got some scraps and I'll send you some.  :bl th up  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
I'm not even certain it needs drawstrings, Joe. It's just going to sit in the bag and an open top may make it easier to use.

I've seen that application before - no reason at all it won't work, because it does.

Rondo (the post above me) has a good offer... Take a look.  :shake