Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My New CVA Mountain Rifle  (Read 2564 times)

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
My New CVA Mountain Rifle
« on: February 06, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »

I ran across this NIB/un-fired .50cal CVA Mountain Rifle that was online for very reasonable (if not cheap) price.

Despite the low BIN (buy it now) price, there were a couple of even lower bidders trying for the steal - so I eliminated them via using the EASY button (BIN).

It was delivered today, and I must say that in over 40 years of receiveing firearms shipped to me, this was the best-wrapped/secure parcel I ever received.

Curiously, it was made w/o a patchbox like most CVA Mountain Rifles I've seen have - So when I bought it, I also ordered a german Silver patchbox from Track that is close to the same finish/color of the factory furniture.

Now, I gotta get some .50cal RB's or conicals (I just have to measure the rifling twist rate before ordering)

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: My New CVA Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
I started out with a couple CVA Mnt Rifle Kits and a CVA Kentucky Rifle kit - way back when... IMHO, they were / are good rifles... Depending on how far back they date, you may have a little trouble with the main spring, but I believe DGW still has replacements (but I wouldn't swear to that)...  Enjoy them!!!  (oh, and my Mnt Rifle's have the patch box)... :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:51:32 PM »

T Y

I haven't weighed it, but with the 32" (typo edit) x 15/16" bbl, it feels about 8-9lbs - heavy, but not too heavy (unlike my .50cal A&H 32" x 1" flinter).

The brass front sight is easy to see, but I'm going the have to do something about the rear sight's visibility (it's color blends in with the blued barrel), like a white paint outline on the notch.

The lock is surprisingly petite.  :applaud

I'm also thinking of stripping & browning the barrel...……….

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 03:23:32 PM »
How is the barrel marked? any mention of Spain on the barrel?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »

I ran across this NIB/un-fired .50cal CVA Mountain Rifle that was online for very reasonable (if not cheap) price.

Despite the low BIN (buy it now) price, there were a couple of even lower bidders trying for the steal - so I eliminated them via using the EASY button (BIN).

It was delivered today, and I must say that in over 40 years of receiveing firearms shipped to me, this was the best-wrapped/secure parcel I ever received.

Curiously, it was made w/o a patchbox like most CVA Mountain Rifles I've seen have - So when I bought it, I also ordered a german Silver patchbox from Track that is close to the same finish/color of the factory furniture.

Now, I gotta get some .50cal RB's or conicals (I just have to measure the rifling twist rate before ordering)

I see that your CVA Mountain Rifle also doesn't have the same trigger guard most of'em had.

If that rifle was mine, I don't think I'd be adding a patch box to it as your rifle might be a "rarity" of sorts. (just sumpthin' to think about)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 04:20:16 PM »
That’s a unique mtn rifle for cva. Neve4 seen that tg on a mtn rifle. But it does look as though it’s got curl in the stock👍What does it say on the barrel?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 05:10:05 PM »

The barrel's Spanish, so it's not an early USA bbl.

Regardless of the maker/marking, the proof's in the pudding, so I'll see how it shoots.

When I googled CVA Mountain Rifle & clicked on "images", I found several that have a pewter TG, BP & nose cap like mine.

So, odd - but not unique/

I also know of a gun shop that has one on consignment, with the same TG/etc, that could use restoration - since the barrel finish is fairly gone and one of it's RR thimbles is crudely epoxied to the bottom of the bbl.

IIRC CVS big bores (.54/.58 cal) had no patchboxes, either.

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:19:35 PM »
That's a good lookin' rifle gun!  :hairy
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »
They're good rifles and good shooters. I still have mine. It was my second ML and the first one that would hit anything.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Certainly is a good lookin rifle gun!   :bow

Many of you old-timers may remember "Snake Eyes".
Snake Eyes bought my last CVA Mtn Rifle many years ago, and I have missed that gun!
Over the years I've had two of them, they were great shooters, both of 'em.
The one I sold first didn't have a Patch Box, and i felt that to be a distraction, compared to other one with its Silver Patch Box, nice pewter end cap, nice double pins, and what I believed to be a real Walnut stock...it eas just more eye-catching than anything I had had up to that time....a very "purdy" gun....
Then, back in the early days of the TMA, the subject of CVA Mtn Rifles came up, and I posted a picture of my Mtn Rifle, and mentioned I just might be selling it....well the PM and emails started coming in and, since I had known Snake Eyes for some time, he ended up with it........cheap too!

Now, after seeing this one, and Rondo mentioning the fact the Trigger Guard looked a little different, I "think" I have to agree. But, dadburn it, for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what my 1st Rifle had for a trigger guard, but I do remember thinking it was different. Not ugly, just different.
I'm pretty sure that guard was nowhere near what the rifle I sold Snake Eyes had, and it also did not have that whirly twirly trigger guard the T/C has.
I believe it was more subtle, but again I can't remember the details. Plus the computer those photos were on is loong gone, at least five or more computers back, so a picture seems out of the question since Photobucket is also gone.

Congratulations on a good buy!
I think you and your rifle gun are going to a lot of fun together.

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »

I surely will ! !   :toast

A forum member offered me 100 .490" round balls, and I bought them @ 75% less for the shipping that Track wanted.  :applaud

Since I already have all the rest of the makin's - I'll soon be off to my gun club to see how it shoots.
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline killer

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
Nice rifle. I just picked up one myself. Mine is a 58cal and had a brand new unfired barrel on it.  Some one redid the rifle and put fake curl on it but it doesn't look bad. Its a shooter. The old fella that redid it and put the new barrel on passed away before he could use it.

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »

Here are better pics of the gun I bought - much better, taken by the seller.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890751280
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
Nice grab! I bet that’s a maple stock looking at that figure/ curl. You got a keeper :*:
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 09:55:33 PM »

T Y !   :)
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America