Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Renovating a fowler  (Read 1101 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Renovating a fowler
« on: February 26, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »
Renovating a fowler(posted in caplock long arms) 1830 ish converted to flint.
Also making a curly maple stock for my GPR flintlock,lots of curl
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Renovating a fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »
I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress!   :applaud
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Re: Renovating a fowler
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
I am getting back to this critter but first ,the stock I’m sending these pics to be perused and commented on as to any guesses as to who may have owned or used it or perhaps have ,”taken” from whom? it it was originally flint by the proofs Birmingham around 1800-1810 and percussioned my guess around1830-1840,but we’ll look at the stock for now. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  note on pic 8 a hint of blue paint!!!
 There are at the lock two brass tacks and generally looks to have been rode hard for many years and put up wet.looks like a wedge and missing escutcheons,must have started as a decent little English fowler,I have found other weapons on line with the same lock name of “Philips” ( Birmingham search found at least three Phillips of that time,possibly related) and a search found a set of Nautical officers pistols with brass barrels and the same “Phillips”  lock ( flintlocks) so my guess is a fairly well known manufacturer or lock maker. Two ramrod pipes are gone. Forgive me if some of this is repeated in other posts,I started it awhile ago and traveled another trail for awhile,as some of you know ,having finished that I still have thinking on this one!
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609