Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Need help procuring powder  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Need help procuring powder
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:13:58 AM »
I just booked a Gould's turkey hunt in Mexico for May 2022 and I would love to do it with a flintlock smoothbore if I can get some powder there. My outfitter said if he could find some near El Paso, he could get it across the border. Do any of you all know of a place in that area where I can get some 3F and 4F powder? I know it's a long way off but I'd just as soon figure out this puzzle with lots of time to spare.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

Online KDubs

Re: Need help procuring powder
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:11:51 AM »
Is it illegal to bring BP into Mexico.?
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
Darren, If worse comes to worse, you could contact a gun shop in El Paso and alert them to the fact you were having powder shipped to them and would be picked up by your outfitter.  Then have Powder, Inc. or whoever you want to that ships small quantities of powder to ship it there with the notation on the package to hold for so and so.  But, hopefully, there is someone in El Paso that sells powder.
Sounds like an extensive Google search is coming on for you.  And, you can surely simplify your life by just using one grade of powder for both priming and main charge.  The difference in ignition time is difficult to notice, especially with Fffg.
And finally, have a fantastic hunt and we will expect one of your wonderfully crafted stories, along with some photos of the event.  Please.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:48:27 PM »
'

IMO, you might want to direct your question to the nearest Mexican Consulate or the Mexican Embassy in DC.
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
Well, the outfitter said he can get the powder across the border so getting it into Mexico is taken care of.  It's just getting it to Darren.  I recently bought 10 pounds of Fffg from Back Creek Gun Shop (http://www.blackpowderva.com/), after striking out with Maine Powder House; Coonie's said they won't sell less than 25 pound lots.  Good folks to deal with and they didn't skin me on shipping either.

Not too long ago, if you ordered powder from Maine, Coonies, Track etc. they paid for shipping and hazmat fees if you bought 25 pounds; not so anymore, dang it!  Ah well, it is what it is, as the saying goes.

Incidentally, Jim Baichtal is a great muzzle loader aficionado, and has hunted in Mexico several times so it can be done.  I know that, for flying to hunt in the Alaska interior (he lives in Thorne Bay on Prince of Wales Island in SE Alaska) he would fill some huge black powder cartridges (.50-120?) with the powder he would use on his hunts, with the bullet a tight fit in the case.  In effect, he made dummy cartridges.  But these were acceptable in his luggage for flying where carrying loose powder, even in an unopened can, is not allowed.  Then when he was in camp he could pull the bullets to use the powder in his m/l guns.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 06:11:41 PM »
Clever idea... :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 11:52:08 PM »
I will repeat, talk to Powder, Inc.  They do sell powder in 5 pound lots.
They do have  Swiss, and some of the other brands, but are out of GOEX.  They expect to have more the end of April, so they say.
I have heard of people loading black powder into shotgun shells as well.  Makes more sense if you are going to hunt turkey.  Looks better, eh?

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 03:21:19 AM »
Graf's had Goex in stock as of yesterday. Ship 4 or 5 pounds, I don't remember which.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
Last time I hunted in Canada the outfitter said that people wanting to hunt with BP would load 45-70 cases to the maximum with BP and then loosely seat a bullet on top.

Seems importing bulk powder was illegal but you could bring loaded ammo. Once on site the hunter pulled the bullets and reclaimed the BP. This might work for you.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks, all. Yes, the outfitters are telling me to just reload some shotgun shells with BP so that's what I'm going to do.

Darren