Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: #11 Percussion Caps?  (Read 3132 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: #11 Percussion Caps?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »
Last May or June, I started looking around for some shot in preparation for going up to attend a couple of RDV's in Idaho.  Here on the Central California Coast, that is at best an endangered species.  Ain't to be found for any price.  And I kinda doubt if I would have purchased any shot for $50 for a 25 pound sack.  I sure don't care that much for shotgun shooting.
On the other hand, I never got around to shooting any smoothbore matches up there, so it was a moot point anyway.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »
Natchez Shooting has CCI #11 currently.  Have to buy 1000.  Price is high, but I think that is going to be standard when and if these items become readily available again.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
Last May or June, I started looking around for some shot in preparation for going up to attend a couple of RDV's in Idaho.  Here on the Central California Coast, that is at best an endangered species.  Ain't to be found for any price.  And I kinda doubt if I would have purchased any shot for $50 for a 25 pound sack.  I sure don't care that much for shotgun shooting.
On the other hand, I never got around to shooting any smoothbore matches up there, so it was a moot point anyway.

John (Bigsmoke)
Not caring that much for Shotgun shooting,  I totally understand.
However, when the well ran dry on lead shot here in the Columbia Basin I was shooting 200 shots each weekend at registered Trap Birds, and registered as a AA Shooter.
Without shooting at least 600 to 800 birds before the competition,  I can hardly keep my rating, lost it too many times already, and it takes 3 registered matches to bring it back up....some call it sandbagging, and it's just not my style 
But that is all a hoss of a different color, and for another day.
Yes, $50 bucks for a 25# bag is ridiculous, and it'll never happen again.
As far as my.69 smoothie, and my .62 smoothie,  50# of 7-1/2's will likely last me the rest of my life, and I have a lot more than that on hand.
Best regards.  Stop by sometime when you're in this neck of the woods.
Coffee is always on and the Bar is open.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »
Check out. . . . .

Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader

They got the makings for 10 and 11 caps.
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2022, 07:18:58 PM »
I picked up a cap maker that I haven't tried yet. Too many projects, too little time.

So how has that cap maker been working out for you?  I've been thinking of getting one myself.  Is it from the Sharpshooter outfit?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2022, 10:43:13 PM »
I believe there are some YouTube video's out there that show how to make the caps from a pop can (w/ the cap forming punch) and where to get the mix... There are even some showing how to use the caps of a toy cap pistol (but they don't seem to be very reliable).

Don't get me wrong / I love my cap lock rifles - but there's a lot to be said for the flintlock. Of course flintlocks need "real" black powder all the time / and percussion can use either real, fake, or both. I've known people to duplex load real and fake black powder - but I have no use for that route at all.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »
Just wondering if the cap problem has gotten any better (my guess is that it hasn't)? You can bet we'll be paying a higher price for everything right now, with all this inflation and supply in demand, (the latter always in question when this kind of stuff happens to our economy...)

I'd recommend;

Get (or make) a good flintlock rifle or pistol (whichever you prefer / or both) if you're not going to make your own caps.

Stock up on powder - you never know when it will dry up.

If you're only shooting (25 to 50/60 yards) most the time, cut back on your powder charge if you haven't already. There's certainly something to be said for having and shooting a small bore flintlock such as .32 / .36 / or .40 caliber... Even a .45 caliber will give good results from 25 to 50 yards with a 40 / 45 grain charge - just like a .40 caliber will with 35 to 40 grains... (Naturally there will have to be some sight adjustments).

Seems like all we've been doing for the last 10 out of 14 years is shooting on a budget with more ammo related shortages and higher prices than ever before...

Plan a' head during the good times, 'cause without a doubt, there will be bad times with shortages that should never happen in America - but it does...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »
I'm thinking I may need to get some more flints, but I have enough powder and lead to last me until I can't shoot any more.  I'm still thinking about getting one of those cap maker thingies but what size to get is a question.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 05:22:20 PM »
#11 is for the Rifle Nipple's, and #10 are for Revolver Nipples (although I just get the #11's and pinch them a' little bit before putting them on a Revolver Nipple. Have never had an issue going that route.  :bl th up

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 06:36:40 PM »
I've gotten fortunate enough over the decades to sometimes decipher the writings on the wall.  I'm good on cap's so I haven't been too awfully concerned, therefore haven't tried the cap maker.  However!  I recently checked my other box of "caps" and found it to be dwindling!  Guess I'm going have to grab a shovel and dig some more!   :bigsmile:

Not doing a very good job of posting pictures, sorry
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2022, 08:20:12 AM »
Those look like the railroad ballast around here. I think I'll try to "mine" for some myself.  Then comes the learning curve on flaking them!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life