Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I NEED a new bow!  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
I NEED a new bow!
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »
I started shooting in the back yard again a while ago.  After 50 shots my right (pulling arm) shoulder started making ticking sounds which I ignored.  After another 20 shots it was getting painful.  Since then it takes fewer and fewer shots before I start hurting at which point I stop.  I'm thinking of getting another bow of around 40 lb. as that is the lowest Ohio will allow for deer and seeing if that will do me any better than the 50 lb. draw I use now.  I'm thinking of getting one from Miller's Longbows in Divide, Montana (they aren't on the Web, so don't bother looking).  His prices aren't bad.  Does anyone have any experience with these bows?  They are selfbows of hickory with rawhide backing; I'm attracted to his Modoc style.

Thanks,
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: I NEED a new bow!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
I've bought 4 bows from Steve Donker (in Cheyenne, WY) over the last 3 or 4 years. Steve doesn't have a website either, but his business is called The Twisted Limb and he can be found on Facebook.
If you're interested, I can get some contact info for you,.... my wife has hid his phone number for the time being (I guess she thinks I've bought enough bows for awhile LOL).  :bl th up 
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
David Miller's longbows are Excellent, I had one years ago and it was worth the wait.

I recently got a mild r/d 3pc T/D longbow, "Black Hunter", from Mandarin Duck in china, 60" and 45@28.  It sports bamboo cores under black glass, and a dark gray and black laminated riser.  The bow was $150 and shipping was $20, arrived in states in two weeks. 

I started archery in '53, my dad made lemonwood longbows, POC arrows, bowstrings of linen and a bit later on with that new fangled Browning B36 polyester string fiber.  Over the decades I've kept track of all the bows I've had, both for tournaments and hunting, and the current number is 122.  Yes, I'm a bow-a-holic of sorts.  I don't build bows, just arrows, strings, quivers, etc.

Back to the china bow ... I can not say enuf good things about it.  Many decades ago I realized the value of bamboo cores, and that was a prime reason for taking a chance on this bow's purchase.  Super smooth, no stacking out to 30" (though my draw length has dropped over the decades to a current 28").  It spits out big fletched woodies in the 500 to 570 grain range with speed, authority, and most of all, Stability.  I like it so much, I've ordered another. 

And to boot, I have a TimberHawk T/D longbow on order that will arrive in July, maybe. Do I need to sign up for bow-a-holics anonymous? :)

Online KDubs

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 09:47:15 AM »
Rob,
 We probably need to hold an intervention
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 12:17:00 PM »
Rob,
 We probably need to hold an intervention
Kevin

Probably better hold one for me as well. I recently booked a Gould's turkey hunt for next year in Mexico and decided I had better have a new recurve for the excursion because, you know, all my other bows are worn out. I picked out the woods a few weeks ago and it is in the construction phase right now by my good friend, Mike Dunnaway, of Wild Horse Creek Bows. It will have a birdseye maple riser, hard maple limb cores, and kingwood limb veneer. Gonna be pretty!

Darren

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
I've bought 4 bows from Steve Donker (in Cheyenne, WY) over the last 3 or 4 years. Steve doesn't have a website either, but his business is called The Twisted Limb and he can be found on Facebook.
If you're interested, I can get some contact info for you,.... my wife has hid his phone number for the time being (I guess she thinks I've bought enough bows for awhile LOL).  :bl th up

Say Rondo, wasn't one of them bows made from Osage and backed by a rattlesnake skin that Steve wrestled into bow backing?

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »
It seems there are two bowyers in Montana named Miller; this one makes them from hickory with rawhide backing, $200 + shipping.  I just sent him my check, we'll see what I end up with.  Thanks all for your comments.  I may check out that Chinese bow also if this doesn't work out.  I am wanting a self bow without glass, just because....  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 02:26:26 PM »
I started archery in '53, my dad made lemonwood longbows, POC arrows, bowstrings of linen and a bit later on with that new fangled Browning B36 polyester string fiber.
My word Rob, you are OLD!  In 1953 I was watching the girls at Mid Pacific School (I would walk through the campus on my way home from Manoa Grade School) shooting during P.E. and wanted to do that.  I finally did when I got a Ben Pearson fiberglass bow set from my parents for my 16th birthday in 1960.

I'm not a Bowaholic; that bow lasted me many years. In 1966 I bought an Indian recurve when I went up to Alaska for college and I still have it.  Some years ago I bought a Bear Montana and that has been what I have used at least weekly since except for this past Winter.  Picking it up again has been painful at 50 pounds so I want to drop down to 40 and see if that does any better.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 04:53:38 PM »

Say Rondo, wasn't one of them bows made from Osage and backed by a rattlesnake skin that Steve wrestled into bow backing?

Yessir,.... my Osage bow is backed with deer sinew and rattlesnake skins, the other three bows are Osage as well, two of those are backed with linen, and the third is backed with rawhide.  :)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:14:01 PM »

Yessir,.... my Osage bow is backed with deer sinew and rattlesnake skins, the other three bows are Osage as well, two of those are backed with linen, and the third is backed with rawhide.  :)  :bl th up

I was pretty sure there was some rattlesnake backing involved in one them bows. I shot a couple of Steve's bows at one of the doings a few plus years back, and I was very impressed with them.  :hairy

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 09:30:04 PM »
Got a letter from the bowyer, the new bow will ship around June 7th.  Excitement and anticipation are building!!! :bigsmile:
(I went with his Sudbury copy.)

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 06:42:19 PM »
The new bow arrived, and it is a beauty (to my eyes, at least)!  45 pounds at 27".  I made some new arrows also a while back so I am all set to shoot.  Except that 2 weeks ago I planted a bunch of small arbor vitae trees for a future hedge and somehow messed up the middle finger of my right hand.  :scared: It is still too painful when I put pressure on it to even think of pulling a bow string.  Curses!  ;banghead;  I may have to get the doc to look at it if it doesn't stop hurting soon.  :pray:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
The bow shoots as well as I am able, and probably better.  Not being center shot, it is very sensitive to the spine of the arrows.  45-50 lbs. spine throws them w-a-y to the left.  I got a dozen of 40-45 lbs. and another 12 at 35-40 lbs. and both do a whole lot better.  Made 6 of each up with self-nocks and 125 grain field points and that pulled the POI back to where it should be.  It is noticeably slower than the Bear Montana but that's okay.  I'm having a ball flinging arrows.

I need to take some photos to post....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life