Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TOW cap box on GPR  (Read 1317 times)

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
TOW cap box on GPR
« on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »
Greetings all,
Looking for some guidance please. I'm trying to install a TOW Hawken cap box kit on my GPR. What I had a question on is how the single flat spring should be installed. The kit is cast steel and there is a cam lever on the lid. It seems like a nice quality kit, just not sure how the spring and cam are supposed to interact to keep the lid secure when closed yet allow it to be still when open . Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you,
PRB3

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: TOW cap box on GPR
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
I don't know if the following will be of any help, but I'll post it.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
Sorry, but I can't help you as I have never done it. Are you working with the PB HAWK 2-I, or PB HAWKEN 3-I? I have wanted to do a capbox install on my GPR but thus far haven't the courage to do it. Please try to show how your work goes along with some pictures and tips, and maybe your work will push me to do it. I wish you success!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 12:47:45 PM »

On the cap box I recently installed on my CVA Mountain Rifle, the flat spring is secured to the underside of the faceplate, just behind the forward cap box screw.

My cap box lid opens rear to front - IDK about the spring for a lid that opens/pivots from the side.

When installed, the rear end of the flat spring on my box extends a bit to the rear of the hinge/pivot point.

The bottom of the hinge/pivot is contoured in a way to enable it to hold the lid in both the open & closed position after the spring is installed - w/o any adjustment or particular care (I just screwed the spring on after first seating the lid.).

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 12:43:55 AM »
Ohio Joe, Flintstone, PetahW,
Thank you all for you replies and time. The cap box is the PB HAWK 2-1, its the kit that comes with all screws and hinge pins and spring. The lid and plate are cast steel, seems like a nice kit just will need alot of fitting and finishing but that's part of the fun right? I will post updates. Thanks for the video Ohio Joe, great resource.
 Petah W I have not tried mounting the spring as you described...thank you I will give that a try and see how it goes
Thanks again everyone
PRB3

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »

It looks like the Track PB-HAWK-2-1 is a side opener "pineapple" box with a torsion wire lid spring, which I have no experience with.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/813/1/PB-HAWK-2-I

However, looking at it, I would bet that the long leg of the spring is the lid pivot, with the offset leg riding between the inside of the lock plate and the stock wood.
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »
Petah W,
That makes sense, and thank you again for your insight. The picture from Track doesn't show the spring well but its about 3/8 wide with a pre punched hole on the long straight end. The lid has a cam in the center that would be extending down towards the bottom of the cavity. So im thinking the spring is ether is anchored on the wall of the cavity on the bottom so that the cam rides along the bent side or as you suggest it anchors under the plate and extends to the cam. I will keep at it, thank you again I really do appreciate the help
PRB3

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »

It seems that the hole in your spring is meant to anchor into the wood under the cap box frame.

My Google-fu found this on the American Longrifles forum:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24940.0

"I have not seen the TOW casting, but if it copies the hand forged ones Art Ressel had made, it is a simple spring. 

The spring is inlet in the bottom of the box cavity and held in place with one screw.

The lever on the box lid just cams over  a "hill" on the spring. 

Principle is same as a frizzen spring and the lever on a frizzen"

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 04:25:57 AM »
Petah W,
Thank you for the reference, I think what I'll do is assemble the cap box and set up a cavity in some scrap wood just to try the spring different ways before I start digging in on the rifle, once I get started on it I'll post what I figure out
PRB3

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »
Here is a post by Captchee I copied off another site.  The drawing isn't all that clear as he was recovering from brain surgery (why he had palsy) at the time.  Trying it on scrap wood first is an excellent idea.  Don't ask why I say this....  :Doh!  :laffing  :o

~Kees~

Open the document first....

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
Winter Hawk,
Lol..I think we've all been there...Great drawing ! Thanks for posting that, gives me another direction to take! Is Captchee ok? I've not been on the site for awhile, hope he's doing well, thoughts and prayers.
PRB3

Offline PRB3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
All,
So I think I will start by fitting the steel hinge together, then attach the cap box to some scrap, dig out a cavity then see which way the spring fits best...thank you everyone for all the great info! I will post updates ....

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
Looking forward to the progress with this, good luck!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"