Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Some info on flintlock shooting  (Read 2333 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Some info on flintlock shooting
« on: July 09, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
https://www.chuckhawks.com/flintlocks.htm
 Interesting read I don’t agree with all of it but good info is present
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Some info on flintlock shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »
Interesting, yes.  Do I agree with it all?  No. 

The copyright is dated 2005 and 2016.  He mentions that the Corps of Discovery was being celebrated so that would be the right time frame for when it was written (2005).  Maybe he has changed his viewpoint somewhat?  Anyway, it was a good read.  Thanks for posting the link!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:13:25 PM »
Yeah,as I said I did not agree with everything he wrote but  there was good stuff.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 06:37:17 AM »
Yeah,as I said I did not agree with everything he wrote but  there was good stuff.
Yeppers!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
I'm on the same page as you fellers... I agreed with some of it, and dis-agreed with some of it. I'll also add that it seemed to me he went out of his way to be a "pot stirrer" in relationship to some not helping others for fear of giving them their secrets???

I have never been a party to that last part above.

In fact, I have only seen those who do get into a bit of trouble on the firing line with their piece not working properly - get help from all directions (including myself). Why you could pack a bus with those folks that come down the line to help out a fellow shooter in this hobby from what I've seen, and experienced.

I guess my friends and I take is a bit different view on helping a fellow shooter when in need.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
 I Hear ya!I also have seen and been party to,a greater tendency to help those who want to shoot muzzleloader perc. Or flint or if a wheelock hey! Teach me! Years ago I saw an article on a modern rendition of a wheelock.( this was ,if I remember right,which I don’t! Had to be maybe in the seventies?) it used a system more in line with a lighter and used a lighter flint with a wheel ,thus probably getting more shots per change than pyrite ,it seemed a very positive article for the gun,but not traditional,at least not completely.Anybody else remember this?

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
I'll also add that it seemed to me he went out of his way to be a "pot stirrer" in relationship to some not helping others for fear of giving them their secrets???

I agree whole heartedly! Haven't done that much shooting with others. It always seems like I am on my own, but those shooting folks I know go out of their way to help someone else.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:14:12 AM »
That’s true too,not many guys get into black powder muzzleloader shooting in my club,I have one friend who has a Dixie gun works flinter who wants to get shooting it but he doesn’t have the motivation about it that I do,a friend who passed on maybe 15 years ago enjoyed it and left me his .36  but as  a whole we seem to be sort of lone wolfs till we gather at a rondevous or shoot,huh?Never thought about that!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »
I'll also add that it seemed to me he went out of his way to be a "pot stirrer" in relationship to some not helping others for fear of giving them their secrets???

I have never understood the people who are hesitant to share their "secrets" with others.  What the heck are they worried about?  That someone might become a competitor with them?  Geez, I always welcomed that, as it always made me shoot better.  I always enjoyed shooting with this one fellow up in Coeur D'Alene.  He was pretty good and when we shot together, I always made it a point to be right next to him.  That made it much more competitive, and I believe it brought my scores up, and visa versa, too.  He has been at the great target range in the sky for many years now, but every time I shoot in competition, I think of him and the incentive he gave to me.  Always good memories.  I spoke with his widow not too long ago and recalled that thought to her and she agreed with me about that.  Also said that he had shared that same thought with her.
So, help the greenhorns, you'll be all the better for it.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
I've always been eager to share what I know about flintlocks and get others to join in.  Sadly, I've run into very few muzzleloaders, especially the flint shooters, at the ranges where I was/am a member.  Met one guy a while back at the range who was really curious about my flint guns.  He said he owned a couple of cap guns and took down my phone # and said he'd like to get together and shoot; never heard from him again.  Thankfully I do have a couple of flintlock fanatic friends like me and one is local while the other has visited from NY.  Both like to go with me and shoot.  But one is undergoing radiation and is not feeling well enough to get out much currently.  He's also a gifted builder.  The other one has to travel a long way so it's only an occasional thing.  I've seen more inline/sabot shooters than anything else, and they'll shoot 4 or 5 shots and leave (fortunately).
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 09:46:01 PM »
Mayhaps a100 years from now some guys may get together and rediscover the art and science of traditional muzzleloading.our builds will be considered 2nd gen. Originals.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 08:18:57 PM »
Mayhaps a100 years from now some guys may get together and rediscover the art and science of traditional muzzleloading.our builds will be considered 2nd gen. Originals.

That is very possible. When you think about it, archery (although no longer completely of the traditional or even primitive schools, it has stood the test of time - so why not traditional muzzleloading? I think there will need to be a "special event" type situation to make it happen, (such as we had the movie "Davy Crockett and the TV show Daniel Boone" (and of course some other early and later media interests) - I think much will depend on the "wants & needs" of days gone by... What form this will come in is anyone's guess? What event(s) will drive folks to an earlier time period, (which to this day many say "simpler times" which is way off base as there was nothing simple about living and surviving 150+ years ago,,, but I feel there will always be those who crave the interest of the old ways...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
Please note that ***MOST EVERYTHING*** about flintlock firearms is highly personably subjective.

As you gain flintlock experience you will figure out what works best for you, and not someone else. 

Take anyone's gospel concerning the building, feeding, shooting, and maintaining of rocklocks with a hefty dose of what's written above.

Above all, have fun.   :*:    :wave

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
Except me, of course... :lol sign :Doh!
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
Except me, of course... :lol sign :Doh!

Yessir, you are the most definite exception!   :luff:   :wave   :*: