Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 55 grain fixed measure  (Read 3662 times)

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: 55 grain fixed measure
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
The loop is a piece of copper , flattened, filed to shape, hole drilled, slot cut in bottom of cylinder and tab soldered into slot.
 Could just solder tab to bottom of you don't want to cut a slot.
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online KDubs

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 08:30:59 PM »

Not sure if this link works.
 If not search you tube for.  Diy easy to make black powder measure for flintlock muskets and cannon.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 08:17:00 AM »
The link works just fine, Kevin!  :hairy

And I'll add it is worth every minute to watch!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
Two ounces of powder and a 10 ounce lead ball??????
Man, that puppy sure did buck and snort!!
Even I would hate to have his lead bill.
I thought that the idea of using a copper coin as the base plug was great.  Could even use a dime or a nickel, whatever would fit. 
I am thinking more like a shot dipper rather than a powder measure.  I am more than happy with my adjustable measures for powder.  And I just can't fathom the idea of spending whatever they want for a new Irish valve and measure from Pedersoli.  They are sure getting pricey.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 11:14:44 AM »
 :hairy yeah buddy
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 11:25:22 AM »

Since the OP already has an adjustable measure, he can adjust it to throw 55gr and throw the load into whatever he wants to shorten, then marking the new measure at the end of the thrown charge for shortening.
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »

Since the OP already has an adjustable measure, he can adjust it to throw 55gr and throw the load into whatever he wants to shorten, then marking the new measure at the end of the thrown charge for shortening.

Annnd how does one cut that tube if the marking is above the powder throw, on the inside?

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 07:37:02 PM »
Hey Smokey. Have you tried looking on ETSY? I have seen a fair amount of various sized measures there. And some of the vendors even offer custom made sizes.

Good Luck!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »

Annnd how does one cut that tube if the marking is above the powder throw, on the inside?
Once you have your preferred powder charge in your new powder measure, take a wooden dowel and stick it in the measure on top the powder and mark the dowel at the top of the portion that is to be cut off, then remove the dowel and put it along side the new powder measure and line the mark up with the end that needs cut off, then simply mark where the end of the dowel is on your new powder measure and cut on your mark. (might sound complicated but it's not)

Cut your new powder measure off using either a tubing cutter or a hacksaw, depending on what material your new powder measure is made of. 

A little fine sandpaper or Emory cloth will smooth the end up nicely.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 08:23:51 PM »
Rondo, you took the words right out of my... computer?   :lol sign  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 08:44:00 AM »
"... remove the dowel and put it along side the new powder measure and line the mark up with the end that needs cut off, then simply mark where the end of the dowel is on your new powder measure and cut on your mark. "

I can't picture this from your description. I get the part about making a mark on the dowel. But lining it up with the brass measure ..... ??

Let's look at the dowel. I hold it vertically, with the measured mark facing up. Let's call that end the TOP of the dowel. Now, I line it up with the measure. Does the top of the dowel line up with the open end of the measure?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »
"... remove the dowel and put it along side the new powder measure and line the mark up with the end that needs cut off, then simply mark where the end of the dowel is on your new powder measure and cut on your mark. "

I can't picture this from your description. I get the part about making a mark on the dowel. But lining it up with the brass measure ..... ??

Let's look at the dowel. I hold it vertically, with the measured mark facing up. Let's call that end the TOP of the dowel. Now, I line it up with the measure. Does the top of the dowel line up with the open end of the measure?

I think you got it!  :hairy  :bigsmile:  :toast

All you're doing is transferring the top of your powder charge to the outside of the new measure so you know where to make your cut.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 02:31:40 PM »
AHA Huzzah.

At this stage it'd be cheaper to accept Kevin's offer, but I want to learn how to do this! Then *I* can be the one to making powder measures.
Thanks for the help!!

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »

For future reference, empty/spent metallic cartridge cases with the neck/shoulder removed make lightweight BP measures, compared to solid brass measures.

Here's a few of the more popular case capacities for BP charges for reference:

.22LR = 5gr
.380ACP = 10gr
.30 carbine = 20gr
.38Special = 23gr
.45ACP = 26gr
.357Mag = 27gr
.38-40/.38WCF = 40gr
.45Colt = 41gr
.30-30 = 42gr
.30-06 = 70gr
.45-70 = 83gr

Note: The above capacities can be reduced via shortening the altered case to suit.

The values for bottleneck/tapered cases such as the .30-30 and .30-06 are for cases trimmed at shoulder to leave just the straight walled case remaining for making a measure.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 06:31:28 PM »

For future reference, empty/spent metallic cartridge cases with the neck/shoulder removed make lightweight BP measures, compared to solid brass measures.

Here's a few of the more popular case capacities for BP charges for reference:

.22LR = 5gr
.380ACP = 10gr
.30 carbine = 20gr
.38Special = 23gr
.45ACP = 26gr
.357Mag = 27gr
.38-40/.38WCF = 40gr
.45Colt = 41gr
.30-30 = 42gr
.30-06 = 70gr
.45-70 = 83gr

Note: The above capacities can be reduced via shortening the altered case to suit.

The values for bottleneck/tapered cases such as the .30-30 and .30-06 are for cases trimmed at shoulder to leave just the straight walled case remaining for making a measure.

Good info... I've made many different powder measures from the above chart using the necked down cartridges. I just plug them with a piece of dowel / drill a hole through the extended dowel for a piece of leather to hang from / and cut off and polish up the primer end. They work great! Have even made a few from the 45/70 straight cartridge cases (same method). They work, that's the main thing.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska