Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Modified My T-C Lock  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Modified My T-C Lock
« on: September 25, 2021, 09:40:19 PM »
The hammer strike on my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter has been, what shall I say? exuberant, to say the least.  Flints didn't seem to last very long.  A couple of weeks back I, with much trepidation, cut a loop off the main spring.  Actually, it was more than one loop by the time I was able to snip it with diagonal cutters.  That made the hammer strike somewhat wimpy and I clamped a piece of steel in my vice to hold the end of the spring, grabbed the cut off end and pulled to stretch it a bit, then reassembled the lock.

Today I shot my September postal shoot target and the lock performed splendidly.  No flash in the pan or failures to fire.  The flint was still nice and sharp, and sparking well by the time I had fired a dozen shots.  :applaud An added bonus is that the trigger pull is lighter now.  Time will tell if it continues to function the way it did today.  :pray:

On a side note, it took me a little over an hour to shoot twelve shots, five at the postal target and another seven from a sitting position.  So it looks like it takes me 6 minutes to load, shoot and wipe the bore.  A speed demon I ain't!  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Modified My T-C Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 11:12:04 PM »
The hammer strike on my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter has been, what shall I say? exuberant, to say the least.  Flints didn't seem to last very long.  A couple of weeks back I, with much trepidation, cut a loop off the main spring.  Actually, it was more than one loop by the time I was able to snip it with diagonal cutters.  That made the hammer strike somewhat wimpy and I clamped a piece of steel in my vice to hold the end of the spring, grabbed the cut off end and pulled to stretch it a bit, then reassembled the lock.

Today I shot my September postal shoot target and the lock performed splendidly.  No flash in the pan or failures to fire.  The flint was still nice and sharp, and sparking well by the time I had fired a dozen shots.  :applaud An added bonus is that the trigger pull is lighter now.  Time will tell if it continues to function the way it did today.  :pray:

On a side note, it took me a little over an hour to shoot twelve shots, five at the postal target and another seven from a sitting position.  So it looks like it takes me 6 minutes to load, shoot and wipe the bore.  A speed demon I ain't!  :laffing

~Kees~

No need to be a speed demon Kees...  :o :laffing

You're not alone in the loading time. I too have slowed down with my loading time on purpose - simply to enjoy my Range time more. I do find a slower pace much more relaxing.  :shake

Good thinking on that spring! I'll have to keep that in mind.  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:46:28 AM »
Winter Hawk:  Does your lock have the "modified-new" T/C cock (hammer)?  When I swapped out the cock on my Renegade with the "new & improved) cock I had much better ignition and flints lasted much longer.  However, there was no change in trigger pull, but the Renegade has set triggers.  You can still get the "new & improved" T/C cock from the Gun Works store.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »
It's the old style.  I swapped out to the newer one on the PA Hunter I sold to Mr. Smoke but it was just as bad (or good) as the original.  I then put a L&R RPL lock on it which made a world of difference, although it also hit the frizzen "with authority".  So as long as this one works well enough I won't change it.  But I have Suzi's number in case I change my mind!  :laffing

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
SLOW??  Twelve shots in one hour would make me think I had a semi-auto flintlock!  Generally it takes me 2-3 hours to shoot 15 to 20 shots.  You're thinking you're slow?  I need to teach you what slow actually looks like.  :luff:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.