Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Basic starter kit for sewing leather??  (Read 1994 times)

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Basic starter kit for sewing leather??
« on: October 16, 2021, 03:52:33 PM »
Help me get started with very basic starter kit.  What do I NEED to begin doing some small leather projects?
I have some leather scraps that I am going to use for practice.
I'm buying, Needles. Linen thread. Beeswax and an awl.

Is there anything absolutely vital that I'm missing?  Thanks.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Basic starter kit for sewing leather??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:12:34 PM »
Pardon my naming of items, cannot recall the exact names of them.
I like to use a little gouge to cut out the line of the stitching.  Works best on veg tanned leather.  It's adjustable as to where the line is cut out in relation to the edge of the leather.
Then there is a device with a wheel that looks quite like a pair of spurs.  You run that along the line you cut with the adjustable gouge with a bit of downward pressure.  That gives you evenly spaced stitch marks.
You will want some sort of thimble to ease the pressure of the needle against your finger.
A pair of pliers helps somewhat in pulling the needle through the leather, especially if you have three or four layers of leather to go through.
I also like to use Barge Cement to glue pieces together before stitching.  That really helps.
I also used to use a belt sander with about 40 or 60 grit paper on it to even out the edges.  Then there is a tool called??? that will trim the edges after you sand them.  Then a burnisher (looks like a small wooden pulley.  Spin that on a drill press or a lathe and lube it with beeswax and that gives a very nice finished appearance.  I have even taken a 3" long piece of dowel and cut a groove in it with a rat tail file.  That works just as well.
All I can think of right off hand.  All that stuff should be available from Leather Factory or Tandy or ????
Have fun,
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
Yep that all about sounds right.
 If youre making small to medium sized projects and plan on hand stitching then a stitching pony is a nice thing .
 Kind of a third hand,  you can make one, I did, it buy them .
 If you cant find the stitching wheel John spoke of , you can get pricking irons to lay out the stitch , Looks like a stubby fork .
 I went a head and bought a Chinese hand crank cobbler sewing machine. Around a 100$ . use it all the time unless I need that hand stitch look. 
 Yes get a groover, makes for a nice stitch line.
Have fun. Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
Most of my stitching is done using a "Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl" (https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-SEW110-BRK-Sewing-Awl/dp/B0049W6XRE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hand+sewing+awl&qid=1634498282&sr=8-3) which has the thread in the handle.  I have also had one which had the thread spool between the handle and the needle (https://www.amazon.com/Awl-Inflatables-Leather-Upholstery-Stitching/dp/B07YYH33PQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hand+sewing+awl&qid=1634498282&sr=8-2) and I think that may have been easier to use  as the Speedy Stitcher sometimes gets thread jams in the spool.  A leather punch (https://www.amazon.com/Puncher-Leather-Suitable-Cardboard-Posterboard/dp/B09BYWY1SK/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&hvadid=78134172369786&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=leather+hole+puncher&qid=1634498691&sr=8-27) is handy; I sometime use the smallest hole to punch out for the stitches in heavy leather.  I still haven't gotten a stitching wheel, just eyeball how far apart the stitches are.  A groover would be nice too....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »
a Leather hole punch is also useful if you plan on doing any lacing.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 08:30:05 AM »

From personal experience: One thing to always do is to push the leather out of the hole punch barrels when you are done with it.  Otherwise, the leather will sit in there and absorb moisture from the air and pretty soon the cutting edges are rusted and won't cut worth a darn.  A paper clip, nipple pick,even a toothpick will work well for this.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »

From personal experience: One thing to always do is to push the leather out of the hole punch barrels when you are done with it.  Otherwise, the leather will sit in there and absorb moisture from the air and pretty soon the cutting edges are rusted and won't cut worth a darn.  A paper clip, nipple pick,even a toothpick will work well for this.

~Kees~

Now that's a great tip Kees! never thought about that, see your never too old to learn new tricks! :hairy
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 07:17:09 PM »
What Beaverthing said. :hairy
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life