Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Camera  (Read 1397 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Camera
« on: October 17, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
Who the heck needs a target camera system?  I do, for sure - and so do many other shooters for target work or just setting up a firearm.  More and more gun ranges are adding target cameras, too, particularly for longer distance shooting lines. 

What's the big deal, why do I need one?  For starters, two reasons - at longer distances it gets harder to see bullet holes in paper, and at really long ranges even very expensive spotting scopes can't see hi-power rifle bullet holes particularly if there are dozens of holes already on the face, and then there's the matter of mirage and/or inclement weather. 

The 6-24x50 scope on my 6mm target rifle has no problem with bullet holes on clean paper at 200 yards but fails beyond that distance.  On the other hand, my Sharps .45-70 has iron sights.  Yep, need a spotting scope even at 100 yards, and for distances past 300 yards I'd need to spend a good four figures on a spotting scope that would poop out if there was mirage or other weather issues.  Not so with a target cam - you get to see the target face as if you were right there downrange.  With the touch of your smartphone or tablet or computer screen, you'll see just where that last bullet landed no matter how many holes are in the target face, or see that last bullet splatter on a steel plate - can't do that with a spotting scope.   

Over the last few years I've used a number of different target camera systems - Caldwell, Bullseye, and Target Vision - all worked well for my intended purposes. 

The basic Caldwell system is bare bones and can do about 300 yards, but their long range system is purported to do one mile.  I used their long range camera out to 500 yards with good success.  Even so, this cheap system is $300 and its software is basic and lacking.

The Bullseye and Target Vision long range systems are excellent, with decent to very good software applications, and their price tags are in the $600 and way up range.  Bullseye has a "sight in" camera system that will do 300 yards - I tested it out and it works well, with a street price of about $200.  Both of these target systems offer excellent images.

Enter the Desert Precsision Gunworks Target Camera.  Kenny has created a truly  Great camera system that is quite affordable!   I like it so much that I've ordered another.  It will render images at 1080P and at distances of over two miles.  I've tested it out to 700 yards and it works flawlessly.  It's a tremendous value for $200.  It will blink the last shot fired and save images as well.  The transmitter unit can be put on any camera tripod (not included) and it's powered by an 18650 battery, as is its companion base receiving station.  While the base station can run on its battery for a good continuous 8 hours, the camera battery is the one doing all the work transmitting images to the base station, and its battery will quickly use up juice as target distances increase.  So, for the camera I use a cheap portable power pack and get a good 8 hours of continuous use.  Like all other target cameras, it works off its own wi-fi internet and only requires line-of-sight access.   The Eagle Target Cam software application for Android, IPhone, or PC, is a download. 

Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Cam

View of the 200 yard line from the target pit ...

Setup in the pit ...

Shooting a Sharps .45-70 black powder paper patched bullet cartridge rifle with iron sights off cross sticks @ 200 yard shooting line ...

Image taken by the Eagle Target Cam @ 200 yards - even holes in a dark matte black target face show up. 
This is exactly what you'd see on your computing device; and better yet, the last shot taken will be blinking ...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
Reminiscent of Basil Bradbury's target range.  He had buried 100 yards of 8' culvert several feet into the ground, originating at his basement.  The shooting room was heavily soundproofed.
At the other end of the culvert was a roller with heavyweight paper on it.  At the touch of a button, the roll would advance to an unused section.  There was a projector installed at the end which would display a selection of targets: animal, 10 ring, novelty, etc.  And finally, there was a closed circuit TV setup so one could see where they were hitting on the targets.  Obviously, if a person wanted to shoot closer ranges, they could simply pick up a portable shooting bench and carry it up to the 25 or 50 yard range marked on the wall.  And there was a heavy duty ventilation fan installed to keep all the nasty black powder smoke cleared from the tunnel.  When I was there to visit with him, maybe 1990????, he invited me back to shoot on his range and stay in his guest house.  I just never got there before he passed away.  Too bad, he was a great guy.  I would have really enjoyed getting to know him better.
If you are not familiar with who he was, he published Black Powder Hunting magazine as a retirement project after leaving Peterson Publishing Co.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
In essence, a wi-fi target camera is a portable closed circuit TV system. 

Some guys, like Idaho Lewis, are into really long range trad muzzleloader shooting at incredible distances and that's where a target camera really shines. 

However, 200 or even 100 yard shooting at paper or steel makes viable sense to go with camera system and the cost is that of a low end spotting scope that will be useless beyond 200 yards, whereas the camera will be good to distances well past 1000 yards (think: the Gibbs muzzleloaders of Creedmoor).

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »
But... then I would need to get a smart phone, rather than my flip phone! :Doh!  And my desk top PC wouldn't fit the bill, even if I had an extension cord long enough.  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Unless yer doing some serious long distance with any manner of firearm, I see NO need for a target camera.

The definition of "long distance" will be a personal matter that's based on the firearm, it's sight system, and of course the distances to put up a target.

I have a .50 flint kit I'll be screwing together and will definitely be shooting out to 200 yards with a max of 300 yards come next Spring.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 08:27:22 PM »
So Rob, has the .50 flint kit gone together. and are you out to shoot it long range?  Spring is cruising by fast....  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
Weather hereabouts has been nothing short of COLD and WINDY.  Spring ain't sprung on me .... yet.