Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My new bow from Harvey Archery  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
My new bow from Harvey Archery
« on: February 22, 2022, 08:18:39 PM »

I came across Warrick Harvey and Harvey Archery on Facebook when I saw some of his risers made from various stabilized burl woods. I started looking at his photos and saw that he used amboyna burl in a few bows. I have been in love with that particular wood for a long time but had never seen it used in a bow. I had heard that some bowyers used it in risers but never as limb veneer because they couldn't get pieces big enough. But there it was, on limbs and in handles.

So I fought temptation as long as I could but then I noticed he made knives as well and then I caved. I commissioned an all-amboyna burl bow and a matching knife to go with it. Seeing as Warrick lives in South Africa, I thought it was also fitting that he use some local material in the bow. He accommodated me by putting gemsbok horn on the back of the riser and the limb tips. I think the total time from me placing the order to him finishing the bow was 3 weeks!

Bow specs: It is his Crowned Eagle model which is a hybrid longbow. The bow is 60" long and pulls 53#@28". The limb core is bamboo and the belly veneer is spalted bamboo. I asked why he didn't use the same veneer on both sides of the limb and he said he always used bamboo on the belly for performance purposes. The back limb veneer is amboyna burl and the riser is also amboyna burl. You can see the gemsbok horn on the riser and tips. Warrick said he should have the knife done next week. I look forward to seeing it as well.

I hope she shoots as good as she looks!

Darren

Offline Winter Hawk

Re: My new bow from Harvey Archery
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »
That is some beautiful wood!  Does he have a web site, and if so, could you post it?

Hope to see some photos of the new knife as well, once you have it in hand.  I bet it will be prettier than the Morkniv I just ordered....  :luff:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline KDubs

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 02:06:19 PM »
well aint she purdy.  very nice.
 looking forward to a shot report.
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 02:12:23 PM »
That is some beautiful wood!  Does he have a web site, and if so, could you post it?

Hope to see some photos of the new knife as well, once you have it in hand.  I bet it will be prettier than the Morkniv I just ordered....  :luff:

~Kees~

Kees, he does have a website but there's nothing really on it. If you want to see all his cool stuff, you have to go to his Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Harvey-Archery-1209134285843059

Prepare to get your wallet out because you're gonna want to get one!

Darren

Offline Bearhntr

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 06:41:56 PM »
Very nice!  Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 09:28:42 PM »
None of my custom bows have the same veneers on the front and back of the limbs.  Years ago I had Black Widow build me a PSAX with different veneers.  They said they had never done that before.  I like a darker veneer on the back and a lighter veneer on the belly.

Cool looking bow.  Give us a report when u get it.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
None of my custom bows have the same veneers on the front and back of the limbs.  Years ago I had Black Widow build me a PSAX with different veneers.  They said they had never done that before.  I like a darker veneer on the back and a lighter veneer on the belly.

Cool looking bow.  Give us a report when u get it.

I received the bow a couple of weeks ago. The phenolic I-beam in the handle makes it a little heavier than I expected but assures that there is no hand shock at all. It fits well in my hand and shoots very quiet. She's a keeper!

Darren