Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Not another dang patent breech gun!!!  (Read 957 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Not another dang patent breech gun!!!
« on: February 28, 2022, 09:30:25 AM »
Yup, could not be refused at the price paid (zero!), a Lyman Trade rifle in .50 bore, 28" tube, single trigger (which I do prefer over a set trigger, for a muzzy gun).

There was a big ding in the forestock on the lock side that I filled in with layers of CYA mixed with some walnut dust, came out okay.  I pulled the lock and ordered an L&R RPL-05 to replace it. 

I witness marked and pulled the bbl, but even with my bbl pulling tools the breech plug wouldn't budge.  This gun reportedly had at best only a dozen patched balls through the bbl, and though it was well cleaned and maintained for storage, that BP residue got into the plug threads and seized it up real good.  Got out the steamer and after barely a minute of steaming down the tube the plug broke free.  The bore and plug ante-chamber were like new, so I Nikal anti-seized the threads and sent the plug back home.   

I've installed near a dozen RPL locks in Lyman guns and the replacement for this was no different.  A lotta wood needed removing to get the more robust RPL-05 into the Trade's stock lock mortise.  I use Prussian blue on the lock to discover where the wood needs removing, but because the lock mortise was stained dark it wouldn't show up well if at all.  I even tried red lipstick but that didn't work well either.  So I was flying kinda blind as to where to Dremel and chisel but having done this a bunch in the past it all worked out well.

I cast up 70 .490" balls, just waiting for warmer weather to fire the gun up.  Life is good, so far!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
Re: Not another dang patent breech gun!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »
The patent breech plug ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »
I wouldn't mind finding a Lyman Trade Rifle (in .54 cal.) for the price you paid for your's.  :bl th up  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 10:37:59 AM »
I think I'm gonna ship the bbl out to Bobby .... you know why!