Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Changing Sights  (Read 1054 times)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Changing Sights
« on: January 19, 2023, 03:08:51 PM »
The Pedersoli .45 Cal Kentucky rifle I bought off Gunbroker last year shoots 6" low at 50 yards. This normally would be an easy adjustment EXCEPT this rifle has tiny brass sights. I am talking really tiny, like .19" above the top plane of the barrel tiny. They look more decorative than functional. So I have ordered new sights from TOTW. The new sights have slightly larger dovetails than the rifle has. My question is simple, Which do I modify? Cut the rifle to match the sights or the sights to match the rifle?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Changing Sights
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 05:10:01 PM »
This is one of those personal choice things. Were it me, I'd modify the sights over enlarging the dovetails,,, but at the end of the day - it's your choice.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 05:20:43 PM »
Ditto what Joe said.
But on the other hand, what you have there is a standard metric dovetail.  If it were me, I would enlarge the dovetails on the barrel for one reason.  If you should ever want to change sights again and get a sight set the is standard 3/8" dovetail, you won't have to repeat the procedure.  File it once and be done with it.
I think the metric is about .360" and the standard is .375.  There is not a lot of filing to be done on the barrel.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 06:15:38 PM »
I'd be inclined to enlarge the dovetails for the same reason Smoke gave.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »

If the sight you ordered isn't steel, I would think it would be a lot easier to file it, ILO the barrel - if it gets messed up, it's a lot easier to get another sight.
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »
The sights I ordered ARE steel but a much softer steel than my barrel so I'm modifying the the sight first. Much lower financial pain if I screw it up! In future I can modify the barrel, if needed. Thanks for the help! :hairy
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 10:41:18 AM »
If in the future you do decide to enlarge the dovetails in the barrel, here is a thought on the file.
Get a triangular one that has a smooth side.  Use the smooth side against the barrel.  As a guess, I would think Brownell's might have such a thing.
Yes, I just looked it up and indeed they do have such a thing.  A little pricier than I would have thought, but what else isn't?
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/60-dovetail-standard-slot-sight-base-files-prod698.aspx
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 03:35:36 PM »
Or, make your own with a regular 3 sided file and grind down one side.  Just go slow so you don't take the temper out of the steel.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025