Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Remington Navy models  (Read 1595 times)

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
Remington Navy models
« on: April 29, 2023, 09:11:35 PM »
Does anyone know if the original Remington 36 cal. Navy New Model revolvers had a smaller frame than the 44's? If so, how much smaller and where was it reduced? I would think not the grip part, that is already sort of little for most people's hands. I have a new Uberti navy and it has (or sure seems to have) the same frame as my old 44 Uberti.
I would like to think the reproductions are a copy of the originals, but maybe that's not the case.
Did the U.S. Navy actually buy 36 caliber revolvers or is that just a name that's applied to them? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to buy a different size gun - actually what would the Navy use revolvers for anyway?
Just wondering on a cold, rainy day.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Remington Navy models
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 11:08:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the original Remington 36 cal. Navy New Model revolvers had a smaller frame than the 44's? If so, how much smaller and where was it reduced? I would think not the grip part, that is already sort of little for most people's hands. I have a new Uberti navy and it has (or sure seems to have) the same frame as my old 44 Uberti.
I would like to think the reproductions are a copy of the originals, but maybe that's not the case.
Did the U.S. Navy actually buy 36 caliber revolvers or is that just a name that's applied to them? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to buy a different size gun - actually what would the Navy use revolvers for anyway?
Just wondering on a cold, rainy day.

Jim, this link gives an explanation of the reasoning behind Army and Navy Revolvers; (You'll have to scroll down to; Exploring the Weapons of the Army and Navy

https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/army-revolvers-vs-navy-revolvers
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 07:08:06 PM »
Thanks Joe, some good information there.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »
Agreed on the article, but it speaks to the Colt revolvers, where your original post asks about the Remingtons.  Hopefully someone can come up with information about them also.

Thanks for the link, Joe.  Another thing i have read, and I can't substantiate it, is that the Navy was named that because of the roll stamp on the cylinder depicting the naval battle of Campeche.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 10:13:24 AM »
I ordered two books  -
Remington Army and Navy Revolvers by Donald L. Ware
Remington Handguns by Charles Lee Karr
Haven't gotten them yet but I think they are going to be helpful.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 10:07:43 PM »
Cool!  After you have perused them and found out what the difference is, be sure to update this thread so we can all join you in knowledge!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
Those books are both real good, I've learned at least some stuff so far (summer projects get in the way).
 It seems like the frame size difference has to do with the cylinder length. The opening in the frame has to fit that length.
 A new model 44 has a 2 inch cylinder, and the 36 belt models are 1 7/8 long, but the navy (36 cal) regular models are 2 inches, so I think the frame for them would be the same as the 44.
The barrels for the 44 are 8 inches and the 36 cal. barrels are 7 3/8.
My Uberti 36 has these dimensions, so maybe they are fairly close to the originals.

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 05:37:45 PM »
I just thought of another difference - the 36 cal. navys have a loading plunger of that diameter all the way back, which means that the hole in the frame is also small like that.
The Uberti navy has a plunger with the end turned down smaller but the rest is 44 size. I suppose that part of the frame isn't correct then.
I would love to have an original of each!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 04:32:01 PM »
Jim, all that takes is availability and money.
Good luck.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 08:56:30 PM »

Once upon a time, the US Army ordered .44cal C&B revolvers.

When the US Navy ordered, .36cal was specified.

To differentiate them at a glance, the .36 Navy cylinders were engraved with a naval scene.

IIRC, the frames were all the same size, so the smaller bore made for a slightly heavier revolver due to the barrel thickness greater than the .44 barrels.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »
The Remingtons didn't have any scenes on the cylinder, but the Colts did. Both the 36 and 44 Colts had pictures of some ships in battle. They're usually real faint and hard to make out.
According to the Remington book, a New Model Army (44) weighs 2 lbs 14 oz, and a New Model Navy (36) weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. The barrel is shorter on the 36.
The frames do seem to be the same size, except for that little area around the rammer (I think, but not sure).
The army bought a lot more 36 cal. revolvers than the navy did, but then the army bought a whole lot more revolvers anyway.
I don't know why I am so interested in the Remingtons, maybe just because the Colts are more popular and I like being different!

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 04:02:17 PM »
I don't know why I am so interested in the Remingtons, maybe just because the Colts are more popular and I like being different!

Perhaps because the Remingtons have the top strap on the frame which would make them more rugged, plus having a place to mount a rear sight (instead of the notch in the hammer which the Colts have.  Colt would have continued making their revolvers with the same frame if it wasn't a better design!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
I owned a New Model Army .44 years ago and it was one heckuva pistol.  But I have never seen or read about a .36 model.  They must be rare, and if so, would command a price up to the stratosphere. 
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 08:32:44 AM »
I've since learned that the 36 and 44 cylinders are both 2 inches long, but the 36 cylinder is smaller in diameter. This means that the cutout in the frame is smaller in height, making the entire frame a little smaller. The reproductions don't do this, unfortunately.
I've never seen an original 36, a nice one would be way to expensive for me! Some of them got converted to cartridge guns, which sort of spoils them, at least to me.