Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: At long last, it's percussion  (Read 2417 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
At long last, it's percussion
« on: May 01, 2023, 03:30:01 PM »
A few years ago, I purchased a T/C PA Hunter from Kees.  He had upgraded the rifle and I really liked what he did.  First and foremost, he had Bobby Hoyt rebore it to .54 caliber.  Then he updated the ignition system from the stock T/C flintlock to an L & R RPL flintlock.  And then, if that wasn't enough, he had Bobby Hoyt construct a 20 gauge barrel for the firearm.  Man, how could it get any better?  Than for some reason, he decided to sell the rifle  and without even consulting with the home treasurer, I said, "Yep, I'll take it."

I don't know how many times I have done this dance before, and over the years and the times I did it, it has cost me dearly.  But once again, I thought I would switch over to flintlock and be happy and satisfied with it.  And, this time, I have honestly tried to accept that's what I am going to shoot.  Well, sorry, but that just wasn't going to happen.  I tried, I honestly tried, but it just didn't work.

So, last year I ordered an L & R RPL percussion lock for the rifle and not wanting to rush a good thing, I fiddled around until the first of April to do the modifications.  It was going to be converted with a drum.  Not having a mill, or even a drill press anymore, I chose to have a gunsmith make the transition.  Trying to find a gunsmith that will work on a muzzleloader in central LaLaLand was a chore in itself.

Anyway, the rifle was finished yesterday and I picked it up last night.  I am pretty happy with the job and glad to have a percussion rifle to shoot.

And, while he was at it, I had the guy install the touch hole liner from the original barrel into the smoothbore barrel.

The good news there is it increased the diameter of the touchhole a good amount.

But, there is always some sort of problem that needs to be overcome.  The hammer of the T/C RPL percussion lock is offset about a quarter of an inch.  And that is not going to work all that well.

So, I am thinking: 

1) bend the hammer cold? 
2)  Heat the hammer and bend it hot? 
3)  Use you brain and pick up the phone.

I chose option 3 and called L & R.  I talked to Tim and he suggested using the hammer off of their Leman lock which doesn't have that offset.
The solution's in the mail.
Finally, I am going to get a chance to use up some of the RWS caps and genuine GOEX tin can powder I have been stockpiling.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
Re: At long last, it's percussion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 04:20:39 PM »
That's a nice looking rifle!    I like the looks, the history and the romance of the flintlock, and even the mechanical dance as the flint in the cock strikes the frizzen . . . but . . . I'm with you that my preference for shooting is the caplock. Additionally, it appeals to me because it is nearly at the pinnacle of muzzle loading evolution. To my thinking, the Williamson derringer system gets my vote for the best of the BP world as it could shoot both loose powder with ball, ignited by a cap, or those newfangled cartridges. I wonder if Williamson ever tried to adapt his lockwork to a small caliber rifle.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 05:39:19 PM »
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but is that a washer under the nipple?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 05:49:42 PM »
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but is that a washer under the nipple?

Nope.  But you made me look, anyway.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 08:22:50 PM »
Me like  ;)
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 10:12:52 PM »

Nope.  But you made me look, anyway.
[/quote]

Now you see one of the reasons I don't shoot the postals. :Doh!
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 10:14:34 PM »
Me like  ;)
Kevin

Want to take a couple of shots with it next month?

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 10:41:06 PM »
Well you can certainly bring it along.
 Should be a good time .
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 10:06:12 AM »
The rifle looks quite good, IMO.  Did you have any trouble with the flint lock on the rifle?  I prefer flint and that's what I shoot but I still have three percussions I really like.  Good shooting!  :bl th up
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 10:48:56 AM »
The rifle looks quite good, IMO.  Did you have any trouble with the flint lock on the rifle?  I prefer flint and that's what I shoot but I still have three percussions I really like.  Good shooting!  :bl th up

No, the lock works just fine, although it is a little harsh on flint wear.  It seems to be hitting a little bit square on.  I guess one could tweek the angle of the cock downward just a bit, but it would still be a flintlock.  And I really don't care for  flinters.  And that's just me.  I have sure tried to change my mind over the years, but that never really worked.

John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 08:21:25 PM »
That was a hell of a thing to do to a good rifle!    :bigsmile:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 02:08:44 PM »
Well, Kees, maybe so.  Or maybe no.
I can understand your concept of my going from  flint to percussion on the rifle.  What a horrible thing to do.
But on the other hand, I really do not like flint rifles.  So it was a wonderful thing to do.
However...
I did retain the flint lock and will use it with the smooth bore barrel.  So, it's still a flinter, kinda.  And, the touch hole liner off the rifle barrel is now installed on the smoothbore barrel, so its ignition should be better.
And, L & R did send the hammer off the Leman style lock right out and I installed it Thursday.  It lines up just fine now.  So, all is well.
John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 10:02:45 PM »
Another question: does the drum have the same diameter & threads where it screws into the barrel as the touch hole liner had?  In that case all is not lost, for if you want to shoot it flint you could just unscrew the drum and reinstall the liner and flint lock.  Dixie used to sell one of their rifles that way so you could have the best of both worlds.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 10:11:39 AM »
Kees,
No, we went from 1/4-28 up to 5/16-18 (I think).  I figured it would be better to have a little more meat on the threads.
IIRC, I seem to recall that touch hole liners are available in that size also, but I also recall hearing that it is not a good idea to change back and forth as over time, it would alter where the drum stops when tight.
John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
So, here it is all put together with the new hammer.

And a front on view of the position of the new hammer relative to the nipple.

Much better, I think.

John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life