Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: spare parts pistol  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
spare parts pistol
« on: May 05, 2023, 10:05:48 AM »
A few years ago, I made a single shot pistol using a L-R mule ear lock and a 9 inch piece of cut-off 36 caliber 13/16 rifle barrel. I carved a stock of cherry wood and had enough other stuff laying around to make a sort of chunky looking pistol. It works great and doesn't even look so bad, but the accuracy is not so good. Resting it at 35 - 40 yards I'm lucky to keep them all on a large piece of paper. I think the trouble is that barrel has a 1-48 inch twist, which is too slow for a pistol. I'm using .350 balls with a ticking patch, the same as I use on the 36 rifle - which shoots with nice accuracy.
Any good ideas (besides throwing it in the pond)?

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: spare parts pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 06:18:29 PM »
How much powder are you using? Maybe try decreasing it a bit.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:15:44 PM »
I've used 20 grains of black powder and up to 30.  20 seemed sort of anemic, 25 had a nice crack to it.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 07:22:53 PM »

If you've already played around with patch thickness, and/or the muzzle end of the barrel is where you cut it, I'd re-crown it.  :pray:
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 08:54:13 PM »
The muzzle end has been cut, but I have a lathe and turned a nice (at least nice looking) crown and carefully de-burred it. When I find a patch on the ground, it's not cut or burned, in fact they could probably be used again.
Most pistol barrels have a much faster twist than 1-48, with this the ball would make less than 1/4 of a revolution before leaving the barrel. If I could find a 13/16 fast twist barrel in 36 - 40 cal. I would replace this one to try it, but pistol barrels seem to be in short supply now.
I would love to have a Pedersoli Cook underhammer target pistol - but........

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 08:43:49 AM »
I would keep increasing the load, to try to match the velocity to the twist.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 06:45:29 PM »
I would keep increasing the load, to try to match the velocity to the twist.

That's what I am thinking as well.
I would start at 30 grains of Fffg and shoot 5 shots from a good rest.  Then 5 more shots at 35 grains.  Then 5 more at 40 grains, etc.
At some point your group will stop decreasing and start to increase.  Then you can experiment with different thicknesses of patching, lubes, ball size, etc. 
Only change one thing at a time and don't worry about where it is hitting until you have all the variables ironed out.  Then adjust your sights.
OR
You could send the barrel to someone like Bobby Hoyt and have him rebore the barrel and cut more pistol friendly rifling in it.  From a .36 cal, you would probably need to go up to a .45 to accomplish that.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 08:38:21 PM »
Rice Barrels shows a 13/16 36cal pistol barrel on their site, and I emailed them about it a few days ago. So far no answer - maybe they don't use emails much?