Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Scoring Mike Fink target  (Read 975 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Scoring Mike Fink target
« on: July 21, 2023, 01:35:34 PM »
Oh great Nessmuk please define what constitutes a 4. Is it a shot from the thin line separating 6 from 4 all the way to the uppermost thick black line that is the back of the rim, or is it from the 4/6 line to the closest thick black which would be the front of the rim?
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Scoring Mike Fink target
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 10:12:00 PM »
Ooh, good question!  We await the determination with baited breath!   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 11:34:16 PM »
You're so right, WH, that would mean + or - 4 precious points!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 12:20:41 PM »
When I volunteered for this I didn't know I would be imbued with superior judgement, or so you must think. I hope you don't mind if I apply my common sense instead. The Mike Fink cup is a drawing of typical old tin cup, much like the one  I'm holding right now. The middle bands are slightly raised rings circling the cup and thicker rings encircle the top and bottom.

So imagining a 3d cup, any broken line scores the higher number including the thicker sides. Judging from the drawings angle, we are all taller than Mike so the top back lip also counts.

Now the bottom line, the object is to hit the cup off Mike's head, so as long as you break the edge of the bottom it's 10 points. Killing Mike is immaterial except maybe to Mike's cutthroat crew who may come after you.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 04:20:42 PM »
Thank you, that answered my question and I get 4 more points that I wasn't sure of.   :bigsmile:  Much like you, I did way better this year than last and that was a real surprise.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 07:14:53 PM »
Thank you, oh Great and Worthy Nessmuk!  From now until the Internet is gone we can refer back to this post and get clarification.  It is now a part of the historical record for future generations.  :toast
 :bigsmile:
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 08:16:23 PM »
When I volunteered for this I didn't know I would be imbued with superior judgement, or so you must think.

Nessmuk, "you 'da man!" Now Winter Hawk joins me in recognizing the superior powers you earned as NMD. Keep up the good work and we'll keep shooting those targets. But, please, no more Perils of Pauline!  ;)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 11:04:39 PM »
Perils of Pauline has been deleted, never to be repeated. You guys don't need to butter me up, I'm sticking with this for the duration.

:yessir:   :yessir:   :yessir:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend