Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: How much tin?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
How much tin?
« on: August 02, 2023, 03:09:51 PM »
I want my balls to be smooth and shiny, not all wrinkly, How much tin to add to pure lead to get good fillout. I understand temp makes a difference but a little tin should go a long way toward good balls/
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: How much tin?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Adding tin to the mix will make the balls harder.  Harder = more difficult to get started in the barrel.
The reason the balls are wrinkly is that the lead is too cold.  Up the heat a little bit and see the difference it will make.  Of course, when they start to turn blue, they are too hot.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 08:31:43 PM »

What John said.  :hairy  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online KDubs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 08:41:20 PM »
x 3, I've found the same to be true. YMMV
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
Bill if your dead set about adding tin, PM uncle Russ, he's made boolits for many MANY years and probably the most learned old fart on this forum when it comes to casting!

Russ, ya know we love you ya old pot licker! :yessir:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 10:41:05 AM »
Yep, you are just running your lead too cold. I personally prefer a frosted ball, as you get more consistent fill out, with fewer voids,

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks folks, the help is appreciated.  I'm not new to casting, though I started late in life, it was over 30 years ago.  Round ball, well that's different, if you remember the scene from The Patriot where Mel is melting soldiers in a ladle and casting in a bag mold, that's my round ball experience. A Rapine mold and a stick handle ladle. Neither Mel nor myself had pretty balls! I do know that as little as 1% tin in the mix helps with unmentionable bullets, increasing Brinnel hardness by .3 and was wondering if anyone here had already experimented with adding tin for round ball.
Your time and wisdom is appreciated, truly!
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 06:21:51 PM »
As an alternative, Lt. James Forsythe, author of The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles, mentioned adding mercury when casting ball for his 14 bore (.69 cal) double rifle.  I am sure he had his rifle bearer do that rather than doing it himself.  NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 08:39:19 PM »
 :Doh!  :lol sign  :hairy

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 09:50:59 PM »
Did the mercury harden the lead some? Never heard this one before.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 12:03:05 PM »
Yes, Hank, it sure did.
Forsythe was a leading proponent of slow twist barrels and using heavy charges of powder to push the ball downrange.  He was stationed in India and was really into hunting dangerous and large game.  So, he wanted a hard ball to penetrate their thick skin.
If you can find it, The Sporting Rifle and it's Projectiles is an interesting read.  He makes his case for bore size firearms quite well.
John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 04:07:43 PM »
+4.

My preference is to get the lead as hot as possible - within reason of course - and cast.  If they are "frosty" looking they will be good ball.  I've fired WW cast ball in my smoothbore and a couple of rifles and it can work well.  In fact my favorite smoothbore load with a bare ball worked extremely well.  STAY AWAY FROM MERCURY!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 04:37:08 PM »
As an alternative, Lt. James Forsythe, author of The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles, mentioned adding mercury when casting ball for his 14 bore (.69 cal) double rifle.  I am sure he had his rifle bearer do that rather than doing it himself.  NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!
John (Bigsmoke)
He probably didn't know the danger of mercury.  When i was in grade school we had some mercury in class and it was fun to watch little balls form on the desk top.  We also made our coins nice and shiny with it, and that was in the early 1950s.  In fact, mercury was used as a medicine up until recently.  So Forsythe would not have known how harmful it is.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 06:05:26 PM »
John (Bigsmoke)
He probably didn't know the danger of mercury.  When i was in grade school we had some mercury in class and it was fun to watch little balls form on the desk top.  We also made our coins nice and shiny with it, and that was in the early 1950s.  In fact, mercury was used as a medicine up until recently.  So Forsythe would not have known how harmful it is.

~Kees~

They still use mercury in medicine. Read the label on flu vaccine.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »
I have yet to get the flu vaccine (ever), so haven't had the chance to read the label....   :laffing
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025