Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New to the Game  (Read 745 times)

Offline MCoop

• TMA Forum Member
New to the Game
« on: December 10, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
I’m pretty new to the game and had this rifle given to me.  I had to adjust the trigger to make it safe, but other than that it functions great, I can shoot 1.5” groups at 50 yds.  I was so confident with it that I shot a deer with it this year. 
My question is,  can anyone give me any background on this rifle just from looking at it ?  Is it mass produced or custom. 
It is a 50cal and on the inside of the Lock plate it says Dixie.  I’m assuming that means Dixie Gun Works. 
That is about all I know about this rifle. 
Any input you may have is appreciated.

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Re: New to the Game
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
Hey MCoop, I'm sorry I can't help with the rifle identification. But I can tell you that's a fine looking rifle and buck. The late flintlock season here in PA starts on Dec. 26, and I sure would like a buck like that to come visit me and my smokepole. Would you share with us what components you are using to obtain those 1.5" groups. By the way, welcome aboard.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline MCoop

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 05:58:34 PM »
Absolutely !
I’m using the rifle shown. 50cal Flintlock with a 39” octagonal barrel.
Im shooting Hornady .490 ball with a .010 ticking lubed patch and 80 grains on Goex 1F main charge and Goex 4F in the pan. 
I only used the 1F Goex because that is what I had and it obviously worked.  I have since acquired some 2F Schutzen but I don’t know if I want to change my combo.  I guess it can’t hurt to try. 
To acquire the 1.5” group I am shooting from a bench with a good rest to put the rifle on.
From what I’ve been told, 1F isn’t what I should be using, but it worked and believe it or not, this is the first combo I tried in this rifle.  Beginners luck I guess.

As for the buck, I wasn’t looking for a buck when I went out.  I was looking for a big doe or spike for my first deer with a muzzleloader but when he walked out right behind a big doe (right at 50yds), well, there was no decision to be made.  I took him. 
I hadn’t felt that excited about taking a shot in a long time. 
I can’t say that I won’t still use modern rifles, but I am hooked on this Traditional Muzzleloader stuff. 
I guess the stars aligned just right for me and muzzleloading.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 08:16:46 PM »
You'll find that the 2F powder will burn cleaner than the 1F, and is more precise when measuring because of it's finer granules.  :)

Nice buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 08:28:46 PM »
Good advice from rollingb. And you'll find a load using other granulations that will shoot as well or even better. Although 1.5" at 50 ain't too shabby. But that's a good excuse to hit the range, make some smoke, and experiment. Good luck.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 08:37:47 PM »
Nice work!!! Rifle looks as good as it seems to shoot!
 :hairy
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen