Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: English Big Game Rifle  (Read 680 times)

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
English Big Game Rifle
« on: March 10, 2024, 06:54:37 PM »
Enclosed is a image of an original English big game rifle that may interest members .Built in the 1840-50 period only two ever built by William Powell and son it is a 62 calibre with a two grove rifle to take a belted ball  .
Feltwad

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: English Big Game Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 09:30:02 PM »
Nice! 
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 10:12:07 PM »
Is that original condition or a restoration? looks fantastic.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 03:28:26 AM »
Restored by the previous owner in 1985 or there about by William Powel Gun Makers
Feltwad

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 11:23:17 AM »
Woah!  I hadn't noticed the multiple (!) fold-up rear sights on that puppy before!  What distances is that calibrated for? That is cooler than cool!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:20:50 PM »
Feltwad,
Some beautiful rifles sure do come across your hands.  It is a privilege to see some of them.
I also noticed the column of flip up sights on the rifle.  On my 8 bore, I had a set of three sights, and that was good for 200 yards and the number 3 sight wasn't nearly as tall.
I have no experience with banded ball shooting.  Any info you can give us on shooting that beautiful piece?  Powder charge, loading, etc?
Thank you,
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 05:57:31 PM »
Woah!  I hadn't noticed the multiple (!) fold-up rear sights on that puppy before!  What distances is that calibrated for? That is cooler than cool!

~Kees~

Bigsmoke

Personally I have very little info  i  bought it has a collectors piece and to shoot it here in the UK the law will be very  strict ,if only a few shots it would have to go  on a firearms certificate and can only be used on a approved  militia type range. The shooting of game  eg deer  with any type of muzzle loader is not allowed .
The previous owner who I understood shot abroad and  had the gun restored in 1985  by the original maker  firm William Powel  I approached  them for a full report   ,load, range etc but they would supply but the cost was excessive so I left ii
Feltwad

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 06:11:57 PM »
Thank you sir.  I appreciate your response and I understand the problems involved with firearms in the UK.
Much like Canada, I would imagine.
Too bad William Powell and Co had to be that way with the information.
Regardless, you do have a very nice piece of firearms history there.
Enjoy!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 07:18:18 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ] A better view of the top rib sighting  notice that the leaves have no V and the rib is marked off in intervals
Feltwad

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 07:19:30 AM »
Not much response to this thread i entered because I thought it would have been of interest  but it seems not
Feltwad

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 09:43:22 AM »
Is there a mathmatical equation worked out for each (Front Sight Hieght) - (Rear Sights Hieghts) - (Sight Spacings) and anything else that may come into play?

One would really have to get there notes out if their memory is as bad as mine. :laffing  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 11:24:34 AM »
In addition to that, what is the proper way to use those rear sights without any v's cut  in them?  Surely they don't expect you to center the front sight, or put it  wherever it needs to be on that flat back sight do they. A little rough for splitting a playing card, don't you think?

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 01:59:40 PM »
I do see a vertical scribe line on each of the faces at the center so imagine you would line that up with the front sight.  If it is a bead up front you could have the bottom of the bead just kiss the top edge of the rear sight blade, centered on the scribe line.

But what are those other numbers on the top of the barrel, increasing towards the muzzle?  They are all the same distance apart so can't be more sight leaves which haven't been raised yet.  Very peculiar!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 07:29:10 PM »
More questions, not to make Feltwad feel better , but I know nothing about this type of gun and I thought my questions were dumb. Does a belted ball look like the planet Saturn?  And does it take this type of ball because of the 2 groove rifling. If that's the case, I would assume it can be as accurate , if not more accurate than a rifle that uses round balls. They say you learn something new every day. Times a wasting today, and I haven't learnt anything new yet today.  :stooges:

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 02:28:53 PM »
what are the numbers down the barrel? at first I thought they were marks for the tip up sights... I don't think so...

belted bullet.... seems to me that in the back of my dusty mind... there was a British martial rifle that shot a belted ball... maybe something about a leather patched belted ball....

That looks to be a very heavy rifle...
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.