Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Back to muzzleloader school  (Read 203 times)

Online No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Back to muzzleloader school
« on: April 12, 2024, 09:27:20 PM »
What are, fluid film, and fixing wax?

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Back to muzzleloader school
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 01:30:27 AM »
Fluid film is a spray on protectant been around since the mid 60's, from their web site,

"FLUID FILMŪ products offer powerful corrosion protection for all metals and superior lubrication for all moving parts. They are long lasting, thixotropic liquids and gels that have been used for over 55 years in the highly corrosive marine environment of ships and offshore drilling rigs.

More recently they have been introduced and successfully utilized in the lawn & garden, aviation and automobile industries, as well as providing a non-hazardous/non-toxic solution for home maintenance. Facilities where they are used include government, commercial fishing, gas companies, farming, salt, power, and industrial plants."

I did an experiment bout 17 years ago, sprayed a combination wrench then hung it on a line under the dock at the inlaws place on the hood canal (salt water) tide rose and fell twice a day leaving the wrench exposed to the water and air, checked it a year later and it looked like the day I hung it!, great protectant, I use it on the inside of my trailer tongues, I will not put this down a barrel , it's like trying to get cosmoline off, there are much better products to use and the stuff isnt cheap!

Fixing wax, have no clue!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online No Powder

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 08:40:23 AM »
Thanks Jim. I've heard of guys using both products on their muzzleloaders, but had no idea what they were.

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 10:50:05 AM »
As an afterthought and an FYI, 25 years ago one of our club members and my good friend Lorne (our resident transplanted Canukastani) hade this 45 cal hawken that somebody hobbled together back in the 70's, no name or makers mark on it, decent build and a tack driver, we don't know how much iron was in the barrel but that thing would rust in 2 weeks no matter what gun oil/ ballistol/ WD/ etc we tried, finally we were at my shop cleaning after a shoot and talking about what to try next and it dawned on me that I had some tri flow in my tackle box that I used on my reels, we lubed the barrel with that and VOILA! no more rusty barrel on that and that's all I have used to lube since!

Belay that, it's Break Free not tri flow (senior brain fart)!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 11:45:19 AM »
Which Ti-Flow product is that?  There seem to be a bunch of them!

https://www.triflowlubricants.com/all-products/

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 12:02:05 PM »
Fluid film is a spray on protectant been around since the mid 60's, from their web site,

I did an experiment bout 17 years ago, sprayed a combination wrench then hung it on a line under the dock at the inlaws place on the hood canal (salt water) tide rose and fell twice a day leaving the wrench exposed to the water and air, checked it a year later and it looked like the day I hung it!, great protectant, I use it on the inside of my trailer tongues, I will not put this down a barrel , it's like trying to get cosmoline off, there are much better products to use and the stuff isn't cheap!

Many moons ago, a friend in Ketchikan told me about the Black-T finish he had on his shotgun.  He said it was the cat's meow for the rainy salt water environment, and he did not steer me wrong.

The background story is that a Coast Guardsman had a part time business as a gun shop.  He had a deal with WE Birdsong where he would send in all the metal from someone's gun and they would refinish it: solvent clean, bead blast, Parkerize and then add the Teflon finish as the final layer.  As an advertisement, the Coastie had them do a junk shotgun barrel.  He then took the barrel and, with an audience including a reporter, rubbed it on the concrete curb to thoroughly scratch it, then hung it off the dock at the Tongass Dock Store, same as you did except for only a month.  At the end of the month he retrieved it, again with witnesses.  The bore was one mass of rust while the exterior was totally rust free.  I had several rifles done with Black-T and it served me well in SE Alaska.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online BEAVERMAN

Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Winter Hawk

NMLRA Life

Online No Powder

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 01:21:05 PM »
Thanks Kees. The reference to Fix'n wax was using it in a muzzleloading barrel. So looking at the recipes, I suppose you could do that, except the ones with salt in. But my routine seems to be working so I won't be changing anything.

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 04:42:37 PM »
I WILL NOT use any beeswax, lard, bore butter or wonderlube or ky jelly, or, or in any of my barrels for anything, beaver milk to lube patches break free to store, never ever have to swab or clean during a shoot and never a rust problem anywhere, your mileage may vary.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online No Powder

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 05:10:59 PM »
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together . I'm like you Jim, as I have my method worked out and don't plan to change it.