Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: a rendezvous discussion  (Read 168 times)

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
a rendezvous discussion
« on: April 14, 2024, 11:22:19 AM »
 at rondy this w/e a comment was made ( by a Flintlock shooter) along the lines of " well when did we start allowing coil spring guns at pre 1840 events"  basically relating to TC hawkens and the like, of which there were quite a few. 
 so I quickly asked the guy what time it was and he immediately pulled up his sleeve to check his timex and I pointed at it and said " that's when"
 No feelings were hurt.

So the Question is, would you change out a ( mine to be specific) TC spring coil lock for a more traditional V leaf spring.
 I have read that coil springs were a thing in the late 1700s but steel coil springs were not patented till the late 1850s .

I am not the most HC guy so I'm not really worried about it. I like the mentality of if I cant see it its OK .  just like the wrist watch.

Ok  start the debate !

kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
Re: a rendezvous discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 11:30:22 AM »
I personally have no interest in rendezvous. I don't like camping with big groups, and I do not like anyone telling me what to wear, shoot, sleep in or cook with.  It is just my personal feelings.    :bigsmile:
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online KDubs

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 12:06:25 PM »
 funny you say that, I enjoy the group and I like to supports the clubs in the area. I usually tin teepee it but this yr I set up in my as close to a pre 1840 camp as I could just for fun in the " primitive area" 
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 I watched another 2 guys in buckskins pull out a brand new pyramid tent , popped it up and then pull out a couple multi colored aluminum lawn chairs and sit down and pop a couple cold ones. in the " primitive area"  what ever. much like my watch story.

I don't go for the HC I go for the BP. I just wanna shoot and have fun.

this will probably be my last  Vous sleeping in a trapper camp. at 60 Yrs I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground and such things. but it was fun and eye opening.  did you know its tick season in Montana ?  :Doh!

I was invited to pacific primitive rendezvous this year but I don't think I could take it. 10 days of trying to, pretend to, be the HC mountain man.

time to retire to St Louis and open up a mercantile.  :laffing

kevin

TMA Idaho rep.

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 12:48:59 PM »
Kevin, I hope even with the cheek and disappointment in shooting, you were able to mix in a little enjoyment. I really like the way you handled the dude wearing a Timex. Job well done. I'm no authority on what's pc or not. And I don't really care. Sometimes I have to ask myself, would Daniel Boone have used tick repellent and worn muck boots if he had them? Your darn right he would have. I'm just like you when it comes to shooting and having fun. How can we encourage youngsters to become interested in this hobby we enjoy so much, with all the turmoil associated with it. So I'll just keep shooting and having fun, and hope I don't say or do anything that would deter anyone from becoming interested in this hobby.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 01:47:53 PM »
There's a BIG difference between a "primitive rondy" and a typical western rondy here in the PNW, most folks are out for a good time and to see old friends that are still sucking air! the guy with the watch, was he wearing mocs or modern footwear? lots of old timers can't wear mocs anymore because of foot or legs problems and lets face it, if it wasn't for 55+ folks at a rondy there won't be anymore rondys, unfortunately there is very little young blood getting into this hobby! so suck it up buttercup and go with the flow or head to PPR with the PC nazis! we did that once about 16 years ago as traders, also shot, never again!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online KDubs

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 02:36:59 PM »
I hear ya. I just wanna shoot and suck air as it were .
 My wife calls it larping,  live action role playing.  Like those medievil dorks on the Internet. (Insert sarcasm) Can you imagine.
 I had a great time with friends and I am looking forward to July for the next Libby shoot. Just in a camper.
 By the way I never noticed the guys shoes !
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 11:07:20 AM »
Kevin, Like you, I am not terribly primitive either.  And also like you, I go for the line, if you can't see it, it's OK.  These thread counter guys bring me nothing but irritation.  And at 78, I have no patience for these pompous clowns.  Actually, at 48 I had no patience for them, but it's just gotten worse as I have gotten older.
I have gone to and participated in primitive RDV's and I have gone to and participated in more relaxed ones, and frankly, I have enjoyed the more relaxed ones, like the CdA and the Moscow rendezvous.  I went to one down here and it appeared the uniform of the day was Levi's and T-shirts.  There was one primitive camp and the rest of the camps were either motor homes or 5th wheel trailers.  I'd say a good 40% of the shooting was done with BPCR rifles.  Not impressed at all.
I did participate for a few years at Spokane House, which was a trading post from 1810 to 1813, located at 9 Mile on the Spokane River, north of Spokane.  It was kind of fun, but it was more primitive than most.  A lot of the participants were AMM, so...
I portrayed the American Fur Co. factor

I would say go where you are comfortable being.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 01:29:04 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
My set up
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I was sick all this week after my sleeping in the dirt adventure.
 What fun
Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.