Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's Everyone Doing?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline RedOneFive

• TMA Forum Member
  • Ozarks Hillbilly to Nebraska Sandhiller
Re: What's Everyone Doing?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2024, 11:52:01 PM »
I'll have to see if I can incorporate that now. Thank you.

Side note.. One of my best shoots and funniest rendezvous memories is with Marty at our candle shoot. We put everyone else out pretty quick, then back and forth for shot after shot until finally Marty says to me " I don't know about you, but I don't have the balls to finish this!" so we shook hands and shared first place.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2024, 09:36:17 AM »

Mostly just veggin'............  :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2024, 04:19:06 PM »
Just sitting on the porch again thinking about this coming weekends shoot. Deciding which gun to take. And wondering if dmarsh and I are the only TMA members still sucking air?

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2024, 04:37:25 PM »
I'm at work, nursing home.
 State inspectors are here all week. Awesome!!
Kevin

Semi retired nurse here. I have worked extended care and have been thru state inspections.

I think I would rather face down a wounded grizzly empty handed. 🤠

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2024, 04:43:28 PM »
I found a book about making a "board bow". It's really interesting and while I made a lot of mistakes I should end up with a decent 45 lb flat bow. {I hope}

IronHand

Lazarus Long

Offline No Powder

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2024, 05:38:50 PM »
I really admire you guys who are intelligent enough to do things like that. Please explain what a board bow is. I've never heard of such a thing. Probably because I never took an interest in archery related things. And a little late to become interested now.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2024, 10:58:03 PM »
I really admire you guys who are intelligent enough to do things like that. Please explain what a board bow is. I've never heard of such a thing. Probably because I never took an interest in archery related things. And a little late to become interested now.

A board bow is one made from a board, rather than a stave of wood.  There are a number of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

Even better, how about Ironhand (Fist of Steel?) giving us the title of the book, and the author?  I'm interested in trying my hadn at making one myself.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2024, 08:35:51 AM »
Still sucking air.  Busy this year getting the house ready to sell when the time comes (hopefully years away).  With all the rain we were trying to get out log home washed and oiled.  Got it washed yesterday and it came out looking new even though she is 40 now.  Rain predicted the next 4 days so oiling will be hopefully next week after the rain.  New floor on the front porch and BBQ porch remodel.  Painted the inside where we have sheetrock. 

Spent the last week of May at our cabin in Vermont getting it opened up for the season.   Hope to get some shooting in this month.  Also spending time with my mother-in-law who will be 100 in September.  We take her for rides and visit her as she is now in assisted living and doing very well.  No meds and pretty much takes care of herself.  Getting all of our medical and dental appointments taken care of so we can spend a lot of time in Vermont.  So, the old fart and wife are busy... :bigsmile:

"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline No Powder

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2024, 09:40:13 AM »
Well Dave, it sounds like you're busier than a three tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Nothing wrong with that. Keeps you young  (I think).

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2024, 11:01:52 AM »
Yesterday was spent trimming and dropping a few small trees that shade the veg garden. pyro wife was burning the stuff too small for fire wood, today I'll be weed whacking around the beds and machete trimming those dam black berries away from them, then build and set the 4x6 form for a dry concrete pour for the new garden shed the boss lady wants, hoping to get back to that powder horn and get it finished over the weekend, that's if she doesn't come up with another chore!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2024, 12:24:26 PM »
Did a bunch of mowing yesterday while it was dry.  Watching the veggies emerge (I was late getting seeds in the ground).  We're down to 2 cats, and the oldest came down with hyperthyroidism.  Had him on blocking meds, twice a day for the last 3 weeks. Took him in today for a blood draw and now he has dropped to the hyPOthyroid range so we'll go to one blocker per day.  That will be a relief as, even with a pill shooter, it was a struggle to pill him.

I'm slowly working on a new stock for the Hodgepodge rifle.  Today a new butt plate and nose cap arrived from Deer Creek Products so I'll be fitting those to the wood.  The stock itself came from Pecatonica; I had sent in the existing stock for them to replicate.  They did NOT cut the butt to the same as the original, left it long so I'll be messing with that for a while.

Otherwise life goes on.  Wish I had a log home like Dave!  I've built several cabins but never lived in them long enough to require cleaning and oiling....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2024, 02:17:20 PM »

A board bow is one made from a board, rather than a stave of wood.  There are a number of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

Even better, how about Ironhand (Fist of Steel?) giving us the title of the book, and the author?  I'm interested in trying my hadn at making one myself.

~Kees~

The Backyard Bowyer by Nicholas Tomihana.

Pretty basic instructions and the photos are not great but he does give practical advice on how to make a bow with limited tools and space.

IronHand

Lazarus Long

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2024, 08:12:53 PM »
Well Dave, your post took me back to our days in Idaho.  We also lived in a nice log home about 3 miles east of Hwy 95.  We were there about 15 years when we decided to have it washed and oiled and recaulked.  It sure looked a lot better when it was done.
Before we bought that, we had a cute little log cabin between the town of Priest River and Priest Lake.  I really liked that place.  We snowmobiled out of it in the winter and cut firewood out of it in the summer.  In the spring and fall, we would just go up there and relax and enjoy.  I had a recliner next to a window and all one had to do was sit down in it, recline, and guaranteed - you were asleep in 5 minutes or less.  Oh well, so much for yesteryear.
Right now, we are in a campground in Washington on Silver Lake.  To the east is Mt. St. Helens.  What a view.  It's sure not as much as it was 40 some odd years ago when it blew its top.
John  (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2024, 09:38:45 AM »
Off to a shoot today. Said the other day I was sitting on the porch trying to figure out which gun to take. Well gonna try the old Renegade with that Scheutzen powder. If it works well today, maybe I'll use it again tomorrow.

Online KDubs

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2024, 10:26:39 AM »
Good luck, report back
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High