Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Finished my arrows for the 2024-2025 season  (Read 325 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Finished my arrows for the 2024-2025 season
« on: July 20, 2024, 02:46:33 PM »

I finished my arrows yesterday evening. As always, a big shout out to my painter, wife, and best friend, Leah Haverstick. It's always fun doing a project with her!

This is a lengthy process for us. I started out with some bare mahogany shafts that I got from the best guy in the business, Kevin Forrester. I put the point and nock tapers on them and then flame crested the shafts with some brass templates and a butane torch. After that, I stained the shafts, let them dry, and then turned them over to Leah. She did her magic with paint, markers, and imagination and then I sealed them with several coats of polyurethane. In the home stretch now, I glued the nocks on and then fletched the shafts. Lastly, I glued on the points. All that's left to do now is see how they shoot out of my new longbow. The average arrow weight is 732.9 grains with 190 grain Meatheads and field points. I like a heavy arrow!

Go Team Haverstick!

Darren

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Re: Finished my arrows for the 2024-2025 season
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2024, 04:05:30 PM »
Surely you're not going to use those beautiful arrows that you and your wife have worked for hours to make, to hunt with. Have you ever lost any of your  arrows? How long do you look for them before you finally give up looking?

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 11:25:33 AM »
Surely you're not going to use those beautiful arrows that you and your wife have worked for hours to make, to hunt with. Have you ever lost any of your  arrows? How long do you look for them before you finally give up looking?

Thomas, I broken and lost plenty - it just goes with shooting them. I don't worry too much about it, though. I have boxes full of arrows from seasons gone by so it's not like I'm going to run out any time soon.

Darren

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 04:05:21 PM »
Darren, although I know nothing at all about archery things, I do know a good looking arrow when I see one. And  also, I've got the technology to care of your over abundance of arrows. All you need to do is shoot more deer. And then, we can all read some real good stories too.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025