Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: In Search of Bow Woods  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
In Search of Bow Woods
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
From the Maple Syrup thread comes the discussion of trading (or finding) bow woods:

There has been quite a bit of interest the last few years in primitive bows, and the materials to make them.

Top of the line and top of the price are Osage Orange and Pacific Yew.  Pacific Yew has always been in western North America, Osage was introduced (southeast first I think) but early enough that the natives used it.

Other varieties of wood were used that are not worth mentioning because they do not last long enough to make a good durable bow.

Local woods that are worth looking for are Hickory, White Ash, Red Oak and Black Locust in the eastern states.

There is less to choose from in the western states, like Vine Maple or Ocean Spray.  There has been some White Ash planted in the west but conversations have it that it is not the same quality of bow wood as the indigenous from the east.

I am always wanting to try new materials, although I have had great success with hickory.  It is durable and makes a better bow that White Ash or Red Oak for about the same price.

I really want to try Black Locust if I can find someone to sell or trade.

A good bow stave is cut from the clear bottom log of a tree from 6" to 8" in diameter.  That will yield from 4 to 6 stave pieces.  Smaller trees will make bows, but they will tend to be 'wimpier' and more prone to string follow.  You know; young and tender - old and tough!!!

A length can be anywhere from 56" to 72" and yield a good bow.  Green tree cuts should be bound together and dried in a flat stack for 3 to 4 months or better before working.  Some like to dry with bark on and some with bark off.  I won't argue either way but I prefer bark off since the log is so much easier to peel!

After 3 to 4 months drying I cut the stave to rough proportions and dry some more.  Some bowyers hold out for 2 years or more before working the wood to really cure and seal.  Once again I prefer to work it after less than 6 months drying since it is way easier to work.  Then I can dry the stave to 80% or 90% in a 'stove pipe dryer' and speed up the process.  I won't argue that those who wait longer and work the wood harder don't make a superior product.  Their bows often sell from $250 to much higher.  By 'cutting some corners' I can keep the cost under $120 or less.

My aim is to get folks shooting without a huge initial cost.  They can work up to the spendy if they wish later.  I also like to teach bow making and the easier the wood to work, the faster people learn.

Also, if a piece of wood 'blows', and they will, the new bowyer is not as frustrated as when laying out a lot more $$ for the cost of the wood.

ps - Lightseeker or anyone else, got a line on that Black Locust to sell or trade???

Thanks

Fletch
|<---WWW---<<<|
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline LightSeeker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:18:52 PM »
Fletcher,
  Why as a matter of fact I do, as my father is a lumber broker and deals with sawmills all day long- he can get special cuts, but because locust is so hard, he may have to ask several mills before we get what we want.  Now that IU know what you need, we can probably work something out.  So what are the actual dimensions you want? I do think we can get your needs met! :P
As the heat prepares the metal to bend, so does the Lord prepare those he loves....
LightSeeker
TMA #206 Exp 6/19/09

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:36:20 PM »
Bows can be made from hardwood lumber that is plain sawn.  Better bows are made from stave cut logs that allow the bowyer to follow the growth rings.  By leaving a full ring on the back of the bow and tapering the wood to the belly, the bow is less likely to split, will retain more energy and is less likely to string follow.

Certain bows like Pacific Yew and Osage also work best when some outer ring (sapwood) is left and the belly is of the heartwood.

I do not know too well the characteristics of the Black Locust.

The secret to making a good bow from lumber is enough thickness in the stock and straightness of the grain cut to be able to shave down to a single growth ring over the entire length.

I will have to read up on Black Locust to find out the growth characteristics.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
NRA Training Counselor
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »
Fletcher, sounds like the house is getting close to completion and the shop will finally have some room for you to get back to work!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:32:34 AM »
Fletch, correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not prefered to have your blanks split instead of cut?  I'm just going from memory here. I seem to recall this talk a while back about the osage staves.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:29:02 AM »
RM - you are right.  the preferred bow stave is split from logs into wedges.

For instance a 6" diamter log could be split in half and then in quarters yielding 4 wedge shaped staves about 4 1/2 " at the outside.  The split method will generally follow the straightest grain.

An 8" log is split in half, and those in thirds yielding 6 staves about 4" wide.

After peeling and drying the bowyer can further cut or spilt them to desired overall width and then shape according to the method preferred.  Most flatbows are made from 2 1/2" to 3" at the widest.  "D" shaped longbows may only be about 1" to 1 1/2" wide.

However...

It is possible to make bows from 'board sawn' lumber.  It is much faster and far cheaper.  When using white woods since as Hickory, White Ash and Red Oak, which are very straight grained trees, the plain sawn cuts will yield decent bow material.

I use these boards to make my 'entry level' bows that can sell for under $100.  Making bows by the split stave method will generally produce a bow that is less likely to break or string follow.  It takes a lot more time to make one by this method, so the cost of the bow goes up.

I have had good reliability in my Hickory bows.  My wood source knows just how to pick good grain that follows straight through the entire piece.

I have picked my own at hardwood stores a few times, You can make a bow out of a piece of wood that is true 1" x 3" and 6' long. However, I bet less than 1 in 20 pieces of wood available there will have the cross grain and long grain that I want so you need to know what to look for.

My early tries proved that if the grain 'runs out' of the overall length, the probability that it will 'blow up' drastically increases.

Hope this helps and more folk will try it , it is great fun and satisfying to make something by hand that works!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
NRA Training Counselor
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
Fletch,

Any thoughts on ironwood?
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
I have used it to make some pistol grips and a few have used it for bow riser/shelf portions.  It can have beautiful grain and color.  It can crumble when to try to cut curves on it.

As far as the limbs go it is about as flexible as a brick and as easy to cut!!!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
NRA Training Counselor
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
This thread had some dust on it, but I am still looking for that stave of Blacl Locust to try.

Anyone out there know of a source near you?
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
NRA Training Counselor
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
PM sent
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
Fletcher
If your dealings with jb1 don't work out send me a PM. I don't want to step on his toes.
Razz
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
Quote from: "Buffler Razz"
Fletcher
If your dealings with jb1 don't work out send me a PM. I don't want to step on his toes.
Razz

Buffler
You aren't going to step on my toes, mine may not be bow quality
Go ahead and show Fletcher what you got

Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
Fletch Im sending you a pm...
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
Ok Jerry, thanks. I've seen pictures of the bobcat that tangled with you and lost. I'm not lookin to have my hide being your next hat.  :)
Here is what I have. I did some horse trading a while ago and have a piece of black locust that was rough profiled for a bow. It was taken to one ring, but I would say to take one or 2 more off. It is 66" long, 1 3/4" wide and about 1" thick thru the limbs. The handle area is much thicker. It was sealed with shellac. There is a slight bit of twist to one limb, but certainly appears that it would come out with a heat gun and form. If you think you are interested I can take a bunch of pictures and either email them or post them on photobucket. Just let me know.

Razz
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
PM sent to BR  waiting one from Indy
Fletcher the Arrow Maker