Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: cap and ball reloads?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Baker shooter

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Colt 44 Caliber Pistol
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
Quote from: "Dragoon"
I have a 44 Caliber cap and ball revolver and removing the cylinder is not a smooth process. I assume it would take a major modification to the wedge, as it is a bitch to get out.

Like I've already stated, I have hand fitted the barrel wedge and polished everything. The weapon didn't come from the manufacturer that way. There was no major modification, just removing the rough machining marks and polishing the parts. Files, croackus cloth, and Arkansas stones. It takes me about 8-10 hours to hand-fit everything. I've seen a lot of factory assemblies that look like the wedge was just knocked in with a hammer. I have a stainless '60 Army that after reworking the wedge can be pushed loose with just thumb pressure but when installed holds everything in place securely. I fit my wedges to where they do not come totally free of the barrel which minimizes loosing the part when reloading in total darkness. I can also recharge the weapon, with live or blank loads, in the dark just by feel. Practice makes perfect.