Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: cap and ball reloads?  (Read 4055 times)

Offline 16gauge

• TMA Forum Member
cap and ball reloads?
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
I'm looking for some historical information re: reloading cap and ball revolvers while afield or in combat.  How did they do it?  I know I've read somewhere that spare cylinders were carried, but did they carry any kind of "kit" where they had the necessities (ball, powder, cap, and grease)?  If so, how (in what type of container) did they carry the grease for lubing over the ball?
  Thanks in advance.
"If your dog thinks you 're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
Though cap & ball revolvers lasted well into the cartridge era, folks who carried them would still have had to carry reloading supplies regardless if they used the extra cylinders for quick reloading as these would need reloaded eventually as well.

Many may have carried the paper cartidges and relied solely on those if they were within what they felt enough miles of a general store or trading post to resupply.

My guess is that most who carried a cap & ball revolver on the frontier also carried a cap & ball rifle so they would have these reloading supplies in their shooting pouch with their rifle reloading supplies; cap, ball, flask, grease (wagon wheel grease would be very common)...

Hickock carried two revolvers in case one misfired.  Most shootist of that time carried two revolvers, but as we know, they had to reload also.

Hope this helps. :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
It depends on the 'who' you're talking about.

Military types had the paper cartidges for reloads, but most civilians carried their extra powder in flasks and balls in bags. Not sure how many carried the extra cylinders like portrayed in Josie Wales or Pale Rider.

I suspect easier course of action was a spare pistol rather than extra cylinder.

If you see some of the presentation boxes which were very popular at the time, all of the necessary items were in the box - they just needed to figure out how to best 'carry' them while out and about. Either in a bag arrangement of some sort - or in in saddle bag.

Hope that helps - or are you looking for help in identifying specific historical reference that you can cite?

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Hawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
In the military..........Confederate cavalry anyway, they carried from 4-6 revolvers. When one was empty it was discarded and picked up later.
It's a Southern thang, y'all wouldn't understand.

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »
Timing is everything. Check out the latest issue of The Backwoodsman. There is an article talking about commercial paper cartridges. Not a lot of historical info - but enough terminology used that you have a good basis for hitting the web to do some pointed research.

If you can't get - let me know and I'll post some key words, manufacturer, etc. from the article (it's at home . . .)

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline TomG

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »
16 gauge,
This is how I carry my reloading supplies.
The only other way that I know of is with paper cartridges.
I know on the gun belt during the civil war they had the flap holster which was a left hip holster worn on the right hip with the gun butt forward,a cap pouch and a cartridge box for paper cartridges.
[/img]

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
For pre-made paper cartidges: looks like they were refered to as 'combustible envelope' cartidges and one of the manufacturers that sold them in boxes was American Powder Company.

Hope that helps you get targeted in tight direction.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
Quote from: "Hawg"
In the military..........Confederate cavalry anyway, they carried from 4-6 revolvers. When one was empty it was discarded and picked up later.

From what I've read that was the popular method.  

Pony Express riders carried extra cylinders to keep the weight down.  

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:42 PM »
I guess they reloaded ina hurry if they wuz being shot at ... I WOULD.
LOL
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:55 AM »
In the current issue of "BACK WOODSMAN" MAGAZINE  there is an article on paper cartriges... load fast.
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Quote from: "Minnesota Mike"
I suspect easier course of action was a spare pistol...

AKA the "NY reload".

8)

Mario

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »
Would not the utility of extra cylinders be rather limited with a Colt style pistol? Removal of the barrel and wedge in order to remove and replace the cylinder would seem to require a flat surface to lay things on or a shooter with at least three hands.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Hawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 11:32:49 PM »
Quote from: "Ironhand"
Would not the utility of extra cylinders be rather limited with a Colt style pistol? Removal of the barrel and wedge in order to remove and replace the cylinder would seem to require a flat surface to lay things on or a shooter with at least three hands.

Ironhand

Never done it but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. The wedge doesn't come all the way out and with a well used gun can be removed with thumb pressure. The barrel could be stuck in your belt while swapping cylinders. Not as fast as a Remington but doable.
It's a Southern thang, y'all wouldn't understand.

Offline Baker shooter

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:07:44 AM »
Swapping cylinders on a Colt type revolver isn't difficult at all. Back in my reenacting career, I carried a '51 Navy with 4 spare cylinders. I could change cylinders just as fast as a Remington. I hand fitted and polished the barrel-wedge-pin interface to where disassembly was practically effortless and then practiced swapping. Only two hands are necessary once you work out all the moves. Practice makes perfect.

Offline Dragoon

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 359
Colt 44 Caliber Pistol
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
I have a 44 Caliber cap and ball revolver and removing the cylinder is not a smooth process. I assume it would take a major modification to the wedge, as it is a bitch to get out.

Anyone here seen the movie Killer Angels? During the battle Colonel Chamberlain is seen reloading his pistol the old fashioned way. Now, that may or may not be accurate, just a comment.
Always Ready, Second to None!