Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lab Report on Burst India Brown Bess  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Lab Report on Burst India Brown Bess
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »
Im posting this over here from FF forum . basicly becouse the issue of this rifle was so wide spread , everyone needs to know the results

pichou

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lab Report on Burst India Brown Bess  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/ ... locked.pdf

As suspected...

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
let it load steve , its a word,  formate, just give it time for your dial up

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
I would like to know how thick the build-up of residue was in that barrel. Seems that if it was that thick, it would take awhile for the powder to get to the breach, kind of like an hour glass. Then, wouldn't it be like a model rocket engine? Just thought's from a totally un-scientific Polish fella.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
May the good Lord save us from from reenactors.  Clean the musket?  what is that!  :?   You mean it is not self cleaning? :rt th

The really sad part is that they have used this incident to bad mouth and denigrate guns made in India.   :roll eyes
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
May the good Lord save us from from reenactors.  Clean the musket?  what is that!  :?   You mean it is not self cleaning? :rt th

The really sad part is that they have used this incident to bad mouth and denigrate guns made in India.   :roll eyes

Have to agree Sir Mike! :rt th

I think it's rather obvious that if a bore is not cleaned, all the burnt powder residue will build up, eventually creating a blockage in the bore.  As was said above the powder would have to funnel down to the vent hole and I would sure think that all your going to eventually get is an air pocket below the blackage along with the powder setting ahead of the blockage, and who knows how many "hour glass blockages" are in that .75 caliber bore?  I think it would be like trying to contiunually shoot short started loads without the ball against the powder.

It's probably a good thing these reenactors aren't allowed to use ramrods seeings how they don't know how to put a cleaning jag on one.

However in all fairness I don't believe all reenactors are idiotic like the feller with his burst Bess barrel.  I would surely think that some know how to clean and maintain a blackpowder firearm.  At least I hope they do...

Maybe these reenactor groups need to do their battles against plywood soilders where they can learn how to use a ramrod and shoot real "balls".....  Much like the NSSA does at it's annual slugfest in the Shenandoah Valley...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
Quote from: "Wyosmith"
I let it load for 30 minutes, but still nothing.
What's the "Readers Digest Condensed Version"?

steve , send me an e-mail  and ill send it to you .
 basically what it  says is they found no problems with the structural integrity  of the steal design .
 that there was a bulge , 18 inches from the breech . said build was at point of rupture .
forward of the rupture was a build up that was gray  not black like black powder fouling .
 hence no sign of a projectile being expelled down the barrel and no  erroneous material found on the rupture that would lead to believe the  blockage was expelled through the rupture .
 Both  companies came to the same conclusion that the rupture  came from an obstruction  .
 One report also made some personal  observations  as to the state of the bore .

Neither report  found any defect in either the manufacture or the make of the barrel .
 One even went to far as to cross section the barrel itself and test the  material as well as its make up

Offline Steve S

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"
It's probably a good thing these reenactors aren't allowed to use ramrods seeings how they don't know how to put a cleaning jag on one.

However in all fairness I don't believe all reenactors are idiotic like the feller with his burst Bess barrel.  I would surely think that some know how to clean and maintain a blackpowder firearm.  At least I hope they do...

Most UK reenactment groups do use ramrods...and wadding...and no flash guards...And we haven't had anything like this yet!...also have to 'spring' at the end of each firing session to check barrel's.. clear...and everyone I know religiously cleans at the end of the day......some blank firers do know a little about guns :) ....and most of us would be live shooters if UK laws weren't so restictive.
Steve(possibly a little touchy...)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
yes steve , we should be carful not to lump everyone together . some folks do but some folks dont eather

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:48:47 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
yes steve , we should be carful not to lump everyone together . some folks do but some folks dont eather

The problem of POOR maintenance of fire arms ( esp. cleaning) DEFINATELY is not limited to "reenactors". I am sure that all of us who actively shoot, can tell story after story of a poorly cleaned gun, causing a REAL SAFETY hazard. Thankfuly, I have not had one "blow up"but IMHO,it was only do to LUCK.

It is not only after shooting, that this is a problem. I am, as some of you know, a CRSO, & actively work a number of events. One of the things I keep an eye out for, is someone having to start "beating' the ball down during a match, because of fouling. ever heard of "Short balling"???

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
Quote from: "Steve S"
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"

Most UK reenactment groups do use ramrods...and wadding...and no flash guards...And we haven't had anything like this yet!...also have to 'spring' at the end of each firing session to check barrel's.. clear...and everyone I know religiously cleans at the end of the day......some blank firers do know a little about guns :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Steve S

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
Guess some of the problem is familiarity breeding contempt.....I know people who've been doing this for 30 years....still don't want to be next to them in the ranks....perfectly safe by themselves,but always in a slightly different dimension for drill..... ;)
Steve

Offline Baker shooter

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »
This whole affair is a cross between poor weapon's care and the NCOs not doing their job. I was a CW reenactor for many years and we stressed weapon maintenance very strongly. On top of that, the muskets were inspected twice before taking the field. I've personally caught reenactors with fouled weapons and they were immediately pulled from the ranks and not permitted to participate. In my experience, I've found the vast majority of pre-20th century reenactors  to be very efficient on weapon upkeep and safety. The WW2 guys on the other hand, well,...thats another story.