Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CAMP GEAR ?????????  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
i agree with beaverman here .  you can dabble or go deep into the understanding  of things . there also is any given number of levels in between.
 what i would tell you is just get started .  dont drop alot of money  doing it though .
  if you want chairs ,  and if this fella beaverman is speaking of is the same one who sells up at monroe each year , these chairs ar top notch . you cant build one for what he charges ..
stoves are a complete nother story .  folks buy stoves from the army surplus and then dont understand why they are so light . remember these stoves were not built for wood  they are oil or moe gas  stoves . they will burn wood but you shouldn’t stoke them to high .

the other thing i tell folks is  getting started is what level do you plan on participating  at ?
Just because you go to voodoos and not juried events or re-enactments doesn’t mean you  cant be at a higher level of authenticity , if you so wish .
 However if you do go  with simply whats acceptable at these events , realize that’s what your going to do and don’t let the accessional bugger bother you .
 If you decide to go deeper though , have some knowledge of whats in your camp . Just because an item can be documented  in 3 different places  doesn’t mean its correct .
Take the braziers . These were not as I understand it , used for cooking  in the context many use them today . Now there is no doubt that they work and work great  but  what I getting at is that there is more to  an item or having an item  then just saying it existed  and  documenting that existence.
 So if you decide to use one  then  use it . But at least know some background about it so  if some new person just getting started comes up and asks you  about what it is , you can tell them  what it actually is  and  that because of given situations  you use it for cooking  

now above all that , go out and have fun , enjoy yourself , take your time . dont dump alot of money , go slow .
after all knowlage is learned and in most cases thats free  just for the asking

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »
Completely agree with easing in to things.

With regards to braziers - had discussion over weekend at out mini-vous and one point got brought out that while braziers may not have been used for a lot of the actual cooking back in the day, they also did not have federal, state and local regulations prohibiting use of open fires or forbiding digging of fire pits. So we sort of get forced into deviating because of constraints we have that were not around back in the day . . .

Just an observation made that I thought I'd pass on . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »
Thanks folk for all the good info.The tent I order was only 165.00 the braizer is 70.00.I have a chair pattern that will work for me and all the other stuff I'll take my time putting it together.I don't plan on spending a lot $$$$$$$"NEED A NEW RIFLE"I just need the basic.The folks I hang out with aren't picky about being PC it's about shooting and hanging out together and  having a great time.Thanks Lynn
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
What you're likely to find is that as time goes on, you'll  decide on then fine tune your persona.   More period accurate equipment will be wanted  later as you learn.

It happens to nearly everyone.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »
Lynn, Here is a pic of my camp. The table & cahairs are made by the man Beaverman mentioned ( anothe smaller table is in the tent. (cost under $100.00 ) 0n the left is my "stove in it's "campfire cofigeration"

[albumimg:33eieasj]3045[/albumimg:33eieasj]

Here is a "close up of it in one of it's "cooking " cofigerations"
It is VERY versitile. It can be used in the mode shone ( up off the ground, for us "old geezers" that do not like to bend over or the center part can be used by itself on the ground ( if you are packing light ) ++ the fire pit mode for times that there are fire restrictions.

[albumimg:33eieasj]3046[/albumimg:33eieasj]

It is PC. It is made by the Blacksmith @ FT. Nisqually (HBC) I also have several assy's he made for me. The cost is VERY resonable.
( if you are interested I will email him & get a basic $$$$)
I will be using it @ our GRMM rondy.

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Thanks Puffer for the pic and the help for my camp set-up.Like your table and your set-up.I found picture of a bench and a few chairs.I'm  also thinking of making a chest and use it to seat on.Then I would have storage and a place to put my big ????.I like your fire pitt but need one that is contain.I'm going for the braizer.I order a Forester Tent it a little large for one person,I need the room,I'm over size.Thanks again "Folks"for all the help.

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »
One caution for the box you're building. Don't get too ambitious. I'd recommend keep it small and if need be - make two boxes. We got a full head of steam on our project - breat box - sturdy, solid holds lots . . . and is a mother #$!@#$ to move . . . throw in this, throw in that and suddenly the bleedin thing got real heavy.

So just word of warning from one with scar tissue . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
Quote from: "Puffer"
Here is a pic of my camp...

Do you pack all that on a horse, or your country wife's back?

:)

[albumimg:1wd21crz]1997[/albumimg:1wd21crz]

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
mules

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
Shortarm, when you start building boxes you can either fix a standard size e.g. 1ftx1.5ftx2ft or thereabouts or you can lay out all the stuff you want to put in the boxes and build the box around the stuff.  I recommend the latter approach.  I'd also recommend that you make sure that what ever you put in each box not weigh over 25 lbs or so.  If you weigh the stuff and limit it you won't end up with a box you can't lift.  One last thing, use 1/2 in lumber rather than 1 in (3/4 in actually) the reduction in weight is really worth it and the loss of strength is not that much.  Finally, the simpler the box the better.  They are usually easier to construct as well.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
I think HB Forge has stoves ? not sure
   think it was them
Keep it light ... all ya need isa place to ploop down.
lol
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »
Nice camp Rich   thats doin it right
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
Here's ours from this years SEPR - got grainy for some reason. Need to rescan I think.

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... ic_id=3065

r/
MM
TMA number #269.