Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Nipple replacement question  (Read 862 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
Nipple replacement question
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »
I have a couple rifles,  that I would like to replace the nipples on.  Question though.    I want to go to 1/4-28, so I only have to buy one size nipple,    IF I drill out my traditions/cva(6 x 1mm)  will I have enough metal left to thread for the 1/4-28.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
The answer is yes . However here is the problem  and you should check it before you drill . The difference in these is  metric to standard sizes can be  very small .
 Sometimes  folks will in fact mistakenly by a standard thread nipple and   pace it in a metric  tapped hole .
 Depending on the size of the comparison, the difference can be  off just a little .
So take a  your ¼ 28  tap and try it before you drill  .  You may find it will simple cut new threads  just fine . of course if this will work depends on the tape your using . there are many diffrent types of taps  that are used for diffrent purposes

Now if you have to drill  the old ones out and replace them  its really no problem and yes there is enough meat in the traditions bolster to do that . But do yourself a favor and use a drill press , not a hand drill . You want a good  clean hole , not an oveled one .
Use a #3 or 7/32 drill bit  that’s good and sharp

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:29:35 PM »
M6x1 is quite close to 1/4-28, (.234-26 as opposed to .250-28 ) you might try simply installing a 1/4-28 nipple in the M6x1 bolster.

If it's too tight, just run a 1/4-28 bottom tap into it.  Use some kind of lube, I like Crisco, and be careful to keep it square to the hole.  Back it out and clear the chips a few times, and for G-d's sake, quit when the tap strikes the bottom.

Good luck,

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.