Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlock speed  (Read 1792 times)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
Flintlock speed
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
Do flintlocks inherently have a delay longer than a caplock or do I need to do some tuning. I have a Durrs Egg and since I changed to R. Pierce flints I have not had a misfire, Just seems like I hear the hammer fall, and whooosh Bang. Just hard for me to hold steady during all this
Thanks
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline FG1

• TMA Contributing Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »
You will need to play with the amount of prime in pan and position of prime. Most times its around just enough to cover bottom of pan and just outside of funnel area of pan .
NRA Life Member

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:57:29 AM »
What size is your touchhole? Most rifles shoot best with a 1/16 or 5/64 hole.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:28:37 AM »
JB1...I have a Durrs Egg that I have opened the touch hole to about 5/64s.  Hank in WV can tell ya that if I close the frizzen, it will self prime and is plenty fast.  Now, if only it could help me see the targets  :oops:
Like FG1 said...try different amounts of priming and don't pile it up..
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »
The small John Bailes lock I have is the closest I have to a Durs Egg, but I guess they are similiar enough to be called a "baby" Durs Egg and Manton...

I have found that the 5/64ths touch hole works best for all my flintlocks.  I've developed the habbit of "pick and prime" with each shot and don't experience any "swoosh-bang" it seems to go right off even if I do get a bit to much prime in the pan.

For those that are use to shooting percussion, if I recall when one is making the transition to flint, you do have a tendancey to notice a small delay in ignition.  However, the more a person shoots a flintlock that small delay seems to disappear as we develope a familiarity with the flintlocks working system.  Stay with it.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Joe
what do you mean by pick and prime?
As to the touch hole I havent measured it but its what came in the liner. This is the first flinter I've been around, and in my transition from centerfire to caplock I had to relearn to shoot, same thing with a flinter it looks like, good excuse to shoot more  8)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
Morning Jerry,

Two ways to pick and prime;

#1 - Before loading powder you could stick a feather quil or vent pick in the touch hole, then load powder patch & ball - remove the feather quil or vent pick from the vent hole and prime, then take your shot... or...

#2 - Load powder patch & ball - then take your vent pick and pick the vent hole before priming - then prime and take your shot.

Either way should ensure a clear vent hole to the main charge with the priming powder.

Before opening the vent to 5/64ths, take some more shots with the pick and prime method(s) and see if this helps.  If not, then it may be time to get a 5/64ths bit and see if the vent hole needs to be enlarged.

Hope this helps my friend! :shake

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:45:38 AM »
Thanks Joe
Will give the pick a try

Offline MikeC

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 10:48:24 AM »
The Durs Egg Lock is inherintly a fast lock.  Make sure you have a good flint properly seated and tight in the jaws.  I have opened all my liners to 1/16 and experience no problem.  I wouldn't go bigger unless you absolutely feel that is necessary.

Joe is correct there is a curve that needs to be overcome when switching from percussion to flintlocks and only shooting takes care of that.

Position of prime shouldn't make a difference since you don't check it while carring the gun before taking a shot, amount of prime does make a difference and I found less is better.  A properly setup flintlock should fire when shot upside down.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:03:21 AM »
Jerry,
Going into the "Pick and Prime" thought a little deeper, the real thing you are doing there is not clearing the vent hole.  In actuality, prior to picking, the surface area that is being looked at is whatever can be accessed through the vent - not much.
However, when you use the pick, you are actually opening up a conical area in the compressed powder which greatly increases the surface area the flash has access to.  Hence, the ignition characterics of the firearm are increased.
Regarding hole size, personally, I like to protect the threads of the touchhole and that's about it.
It should not go click, whoosh, bang.  If you can identify those various steps, it's toooooo slow.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline mike rumping

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »
How long is your hammer fall for the Cock also?  this can make it seem forever to set off.  also if hunting, always clean eveything thouroughly with 91% alcohol, then dry it, and let sit overnigt, do not reoil!!!  you'll never have another misfire when in the woods if you protect the lock w a cows knee and put a davb of wax on the barrel channel in front of the lock and around the pan as well.  ALWAYS PUT IN A NEW FLINT  Sorry, I know this wasn't really the question, but in hunting, i've lost a couple bucks before this dawned on me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:26:08 AM by mike rumping »
http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
TMA #226
Expires: 2/14/11
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
Thanks that makes sense John. Normally a grain of powder blocks the hole. I just checked the hole and its right at 3/64" not quite 1/16. I will work with the prime and pick a while before drilling to 1/16. I guess I need to lower the charge some until I get this worked out. 90 gr ffg and a .690 rb pretty rough on my old shoulder. Should be good load for the hog hunt coming up

Offline FG1

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »
Another little tidbit , after carrying while afield , when raising rifle for a shot give the gun a tipping to the right to clear any powder that may have stacked against touchhole before shouldering. Any powder stacked there will fuze or may even cause a charcoal blockage to hole. That ruins any chance of a follow up reprime . I lost out on a nice antelope from a hasty shot try. It just walked out of site while I was trying to clear the vent . :oops:
NRA Life Member

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
Quote from: "mike rumping"
How long is your hammer fall for the Cock also?  this can make it seem forever to set off.  also if hunting, always clean eveything thouroughly with 91% alcohol, then dry it, and let sit overnigt, do not reoil!!!  you'll never have another misfire when in the woods if you protect the lock w a cows knee and put a davb of wax on the barrel channel in front of the lock and around the pan as well.  ALWAYS PUT IN A NEW FLINT  Sorry, I know this wasn't really the question, but in hunting, i've lost a couple bucks before this dawned on me.

You bet!!! :lt th

Offline sniper68

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
delete
Help Honor and keep alive our Forefathers Memories and Traditions. Join the TMA
Charter member #13
DAV  USMC Vietnam