Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Putting new edge on flint  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
Putting new edge on flint
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
At rendezvous back in April, gent who was putting on basics of muzzleloading had a little tool he used for chipping away edge of flint after it had worn down. He admitted he was too much of klutz to use a knapping hammer, so made a little chipping tool.

It looked like a small metal rod, possibly from a small bit or forestock pin material. It had a couple of grooves cut into it one one side that he would then set against the dull edge of the flint and then pull downward to break off small pieces of flint. He would quickly work his away across the flint skipping an equal distance between chip marks and in no time had his flint ready to go again.

I'm interested in looking into making one of those as well, but cannot recall the depth of the groove in the bar and was wondering if anyone else out there has seen such a critter or has one and can help fill in the critical information piece for me.

Thanks.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
Very interesting would like to see that also
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
Quote from: "jbullard1"
Very interesting would like to see that also

If you've ever watched someone cut glass, they probably used a tool that also had "notchs" in it like the flint chipping tool you're talking about. (only the "notchs" a glass-cutting tool has, are properly sized for "plate", "double-strength", and "single-strength", glass).

In fact, a modern glass cutting tool itself, would probably work pretty good to re-knap a dull flint (if you weren't too overly concerned about the tool not being "period-correct"). :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
i have made a couple that are used with a hammer  Mike .
basicly what i do is make them from 3?16th  piano whire  cut to approx 3 inches long .
 the tip i cut back  so it has a step thats about 1/2 the thickness of the rod .
 you place theis step at approx a 45 deg angle to the flint "Flint needs to be bevel down " with just the edge of the  step placed on the face of the flint .
 then take your napping hammer and hit the rod . this knocks a flake from under the flint . simply work it across your flint.

The other thing you can use is a set of flint nibblers .  These are a set of small duck bill pliers that  don’t fully close. Just clamp them onto the flint and twist . They will nibble away at the edge , thus re sharpening  it . The problem with these however is that if the flint is to thick , after a couple uses  they  round the flint off

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »
Mike,

On two occasions I've seen people use a short piece of threaded rod to touch up the edge of a flint.  

Rich Pierce uses an anchor bolt that would normally be used to attach a 2x4 wood plate to a concrete foundation.  He uses the short L shaped end like a hammer then in the final process he uses the threaded end by pulling the threads along the cutting edge of the flint as you describe.

I saw another homemade tool that was built like a T that had two different pitches of threads (fine and course) if you will.  It could be used as a hammer and also as described.

The use of  the tool seemed pretty simple but effective.

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
i have made a couple that are used with a hammer  Mike .
basicly what i do is make them from 3?16th  piano whire  cut to approx 3 inches long .
 the tip i cut back  so it has a step thats about 1/2 the thickness of the rod .
 you place theis step at approx a 45 deg angle to the flint "Flint needs to be bevel down " with just the edge of the  step placed on the face of the flint .
 then take your napping hammer and hit the rod . this knocks a flake from under the flint . simply work it across your flint.

The other thing you can use is a set of flint nibblers .  These are a set of small duck bill pliers that  don’t fully close. Just clamp them onto the flint and twist . They will nibble away at the edge , thus re sharpening  it . The problem with these however is that if the flint is to thick , after a couple uses  they  round the flint off

Got photos?

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
no not much to see but ill drw you a picture here real quick

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
here you go

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Cool pic Mr Monet eerr ah Cap!, gonna have to give that a try!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline MikeC

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
I made mine from nails just like the picture shows.  Works great quick and easy.

Took but a few minutes to make a few up.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
yep a nail will also work . but for just a couple bucks you can have a very strong pioano wire  that 3 feet long . IE long enough to make . 12 .
and it will never bend  oe wear out

Offline Dave

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
uh...this sounds dumb even to me, but where do you get piano wire? Don't say "out of a piano", my wife won't stand for that! I s'pose a music store - just like buying guitar strings?

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
most any hobby store will have a selection . Especially those that sell  remote control plains and cars .
 It will be over in their K &S metal  display .
Some true values also carry it

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
I've got a flint flaking rod somewhere in my "stuff"...I've had it for a long time. Most of the time I use the old fashion knappin hammer. I find by putting it on full cock so I can get my index finger under the flint for support, it's fast and easy to dress the edge by tapping with the little hammer tool.

Anyone ever use their belt knife?... ;)
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
8)
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang