Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rogers and Spencer  (Read 2878 times)

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
Rogers and Spencer
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
I've kind of had a hankerin' for a Rogers and Spencer revolver.  How are they?  Would a Remington or Colt clone serve as well?  I currently have a Pietta Colt 1861.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
Have Rogers and Spencer - sweet shooting revolver. Shame that after all the advances made in developing it, that most ended up as scrap.

Top strap has nice sighting grove, cylinder is beveled for ease in putting caps on nipple, easy to extract the cylinder, short stroke with the ramming lever.

Overall very well designed revolver. Good balance. Nice sized hammer with lots of traction where your thumbs pulls the hammer back.

I like it. Don't shoot it much any more, but I like it.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
I had one briefly a while back.  I had another one a long time back.  Don't know why I sold either of them.  I enjoyed the size of the grips - big enough to get a hold of.  It had a fast action, but with the hammer spur so straight up, it was a bit awkward cocking it, to me.
Both of the ones I had seemed to shoot pretty well, although I did not ever work all that much with either of them.  They are a real solid built firearm.  I'd give them a thumbs up.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline api

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rogers and Spencer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
Hello.
Which powder loads and ball size do you recommend for original Rogers & Spencer revolver?

Offline old fogey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
If you really want a Rodgers and Spencer, they can be found (used, of course, as I beleive that they are currently out of production,) over at Lodgwood Mfg. Ltd., and that link should take you straight to the R & S for sale!

Offline hoot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
I have a rogers and shoots very well the problem is euroarms don't make the rogers parts anymore .and parts are hard to find . I just bought 2 mainspring from lodgewood a couple of weeks ago 29.00 each and 10.00 for shipping . I would stay away because  of parts . Allen

Offline old fogey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:26 PM »
You can get a mainspring for $7.50 (as well as almost every other part you'd need for a Rodgers & Spencer,) at the Winchester Sutler.com site!

Offline hoot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
they say they have parts  the small red lettering says many part are out. If S&S or Lodgewood don't have them then probley you are not going to get them. The last  time I saw a mainspring and nipples tat low of a price was 8 years ago

Offline edhvhram

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
I recently picked up a R&S nice feel to it. Hopefully ill be able to get some spare parts for it..

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
My experience with c&b revolvers is limited to the Remmy '58 and the R&S.  Both were exceptionally fine revolvers and both had their downside.  The R&S was among the most accurate big bore revolvers - notice I didn't specify c&b - that I've fired.  The pistol had many improvements over earlier c&b guns.  It also had, for me, a few problems.  First was the dinky brass post that stood in for a real front sight.  It easily became loose and was worthless to aim with.  I also didn't like the tall hammer and ultra strong mainspring.  It required two hands for me to cock it.  It was large and required a special holster.

But along with the accuracy the revolver was tight and locked up solidly.  It was easily as well fitted as any modern revolver I've fired.  I eventually sold mine because I need a smaller, lighter gun to carry in the bush.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline freddy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 06:35:21 PM »
I have a R&S (Euroarms mfg) purchased around 1980. Nicely finished, feels nice in my hand, superior design. Never shot it ... reason unknown but I'm glad I didn't. It is now a "closet queen," for display only.

Some disagree with me on this, but shooting any BP firearm very slowly degrades it. I enjoy shooting modern replicas as they can be reproduced again, but this mint replica is, at least in my mind, mostly in the same category as a vintage arm. (Shoot it, disassemble to clean, re-assemble, oil it ... it all takes its toll.)

Too bad the R&S design was too late for the CW, maybe too early for the cartridge era.