Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: native stir-fry  (Read 1175 times)

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
native stir-fry
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »
I'm a big fan of 'one-dish' meals because they're easy and pack a great diversity of flavor and nutrition into one dish.

Probably everyone makes this, but I figured I'd share a recipe I make often, especially in summer with our home-grown vegetables.

1--about 1/2 pound of game meat (90% of my meat is venison, so I usually use steaks, cut into thin strips about 3/16 by 1 by 2 inches or so)
2--vegetables from the garden

Vegetables usually include, sliced: onion, bell pepper (especially red, yellow, and orange), garlic, zuchini, carrot); chopped or chunk (whole): sugar/snap peas in pod, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus; sliced in disks: hot peppers (like jalapeno, thai chili, cayenne, etc.).

Store-bought: bamboo shoots, water chestnut, bean sprouts, mushrooms (unless you grow or forage your own), baby corn. Any mushroom is good, I like cremini, shiitake, or portobello. You can of course substitute frozen bagged or canned corn, peas, etc.

Saute meat first in olive oil or safflower oil (for healthy alternative) or butter (for flavor  :) ) and saute onions until gettting limp (add garlic early for less garlic flavor, later for more). I like to use a vegetable peeler to shave carrots, so they can be added later, but chopped or sliced carrots and bamboo shoots can be added with the onions a the start. Broccoli or cauliflower should go in early because they take a while in the pan. Peas, asparagus, and zuchini should go in next for a light cook. Add other veggies to cook to desired degree of tenderness versus crunchiness. I like to cook things minimally, so peppers, garlic, water chestnuts go in late - pretty much just to warm, unless you like the bell pepper a little 'roasted'.

To make more of a cacciatore, drop most of the veggies except onion and garlic, and throw in a bunch of canned tomatoes at the very end (just enough to warm).
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)