Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: cow's knee?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Lady of the Woods

• TMA Forum Member
cow's knee?
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
Ok, I guess now that I have a flinter I need a cows knee for her. . .  any suggestions on material, design, how to make it?? help!
Z
Lady of the Woods
member #358. Exp. 7/1/09.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:03:41 PM »
best is to use the rear leg(or hock)....I've got one from a buffalo, and another from an elk....there are some patterns to make one, but I've always use the real thing...Mitch
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »
I read somewhere to use an old shamie you use for drying your truck. cut a piece about 8" square, and coat it real good with snow seal. It will be flexible but hold shape if molded around your lock.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Steve S

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Quote from: "melsdad"
I read somewhere to use an old shamie you use for drying your truck. cut a piece about 8" square, and coat it real good with snow seal. It will be flexible but hold shape if molded around your lock.

That's what I did....sewed 2 thongs on for ties,coated it with dubbin...works fine...& no complicated cutting/sewing.. :)
Steve

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »
Quote from: "Steve S"
Quote from: "melsdad"

coated it with dubbin

What is dubbin? never heard of it, is it a more period correct sealant?
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Steve S

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:59 AM »
Snap!...Never heard of snow seal...Don't know if Dubbin is just a British thing...It's for softening/waterproofing Leather & has been around since at least WWI....small tins in most shoe repairers over here.
Steve

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Now that I think of it BEAVERMAN recommended "White's Boot Dressing" to me to waterproff my shooting bag. I bet that would work just fine also.

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/boot_l ... s_oils.php

look toward the bottom of the page.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »
British, don't know. We had Dubin in Canada, so maybe.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Black Hand

• TMA Forum Member
Re: cow's knee?
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »
Quote from: "Lady of the Woods"
Ok, I guess now that I have a flinter I need a cows knee for her. . .  any suggestions on material, design, how to make it?? help!
Z

Place your gun on half-cock with the frizzen closed onto a piece of paper.  Draw lines along the stock fore and aft of the lock (~4-5 inches each way) and trace the outline of the lock/cock/frizzen area and along the bottom of the stock.  That is your pattern.  Enlarge it a bit around the frizzen/cock area and make it longer along the sides (to accomodate going around the gun).  Cut out your pattern and trace it onto 2 pieces of leather.  Cut the pieces out and a long thin strip for a welt (~1/4 inch wide and longer than the upper part of the pattern (The pattern will look like a long rectangle with a hump for the frizzen/cock area).  Sew the welt in between the 2 side pieces, turn right-side out, dampen the leather and fit it to the stock/lock area.  Allow to dry and trim off leather where it might need trimming.  Add ties (I use 2 at each end at each "corner") and grease it well.  I also added a 5th tie to the center of one bottom so that I could tie the cows knee to the trigger guard so it wouldn't be lost when I removed it.

I used a light weight, top- grain leather and made the cows knee so the smooth side would end up outside.  I greased it very well with deer tallow inside and out and used gentle heat so the leather absorbed as much as it could hold.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:29:11 AM by Black Hand »

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »
Z....IMO, and FWIW, I would make sure I was going to need, and use one before doing a lot of anything.
I have owned a couple over the years and they were just more hassle that anything much of real value, and that was when I lived in Shelton, WA the real "back door" to the Rain Forest.

Tucking the lock of my flinter under my arm proved much more practical that trying to cover, and uncover, the lock......besides, when it's pouring down rain you need to freshen the prime about every hour or so anyway...just dump it out, wipe / dry the pan, and re-charge.....IMHO, a "stall" for the frizzen has a lot more value than a Cows Knee.

Still yet, all this ramblin is just one man's thinking. If you feel you need a Cows Knee, then go for it. A lot of folks do have 'em and use 'em, so they can't be a real bad thing.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline M1Tommy

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Z............ a "stall" for the frizzen has a lot more value than a Cows Knee.

What's that?  umm, a 'stall', not a frizzen?

Sincerely,
Tommy
TMA member #383, exp. 02/28/2012
NRA member
Bikers For Christ, Arkansas, Member
Brotherhood of the Grey Beard Bikers, Member
Arkansas Confederation of Motorcyclists (sec.)

Offline Black Hand

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
Quote from: "M1Tommy"
Quote from: "RussB"
Z............ a "stall" for the frizzen has a lot more value than a Cows Knee.

What's that?  umm, a 'stall', not a frizzen?

Sincerely,
Tommy

A little leather cover for the frizzen only.....

Offline M1Tommy

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
Does it go between the pan and the frizzen?

Tommy
NRA member

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
no, think of it as a glove that goes over the frizzen.
The purpose is to prevent the firearm from accidentally going off - hence where the phrase "going off half cocked" came from.

If the flint cannot come into contact with the frizzen, then it cannot make any sparks.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline M1Tommy

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
OK, I had that in my mind's eye as what a cow's knee is, but the cow's knee is considerably more involved and covers most all the action extending some over the stock,  right ?

Tommy
NRA member