Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: smoked venison  (Read 1050 times)

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
smoked venison
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »
A buddy of mine let me try some smoked venison an Amish friend made - OUTSTANDING.

THe smoker is pretty simple: basically a miniature outhouse - sized box or 'building' erected over the tail of a 10+ foot steel pipe (6-10 inches diameter). At the head of the pipe is where the fire is built - in a fire pit or open, whatever your druthers. I've heard of other folk building their fire right on the floor of the 'outhouse' or in an old scrapple or cracklin' kettle - whatever works. Preferred wood is sugar maple, but a dose of hickory or fruit wood (e.g., apple) probably would be nice, too.

Anyway, this Amishman takes chunks of meat - on the order of 1-2 pounds, dips them in boiling water briefly, wipes them down and puts an extremely light coating of salt on them. Runs a length of cord through one end, then hangs them in the smoker for about 2 days. This is a "warm smoke" at around 180 degrees. The chunk I had was like a really good jerky (only more tender) for the outer inch and the center was a soft, pink, super-tender delight.

I imagine you could do this with a cold smoke at 80-100 degrees for 3-4 days or a hot smoke at 240-260 degrees in a 3-4 hours, like smoking a pheasant.
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline mike rumping

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:45:06 AM »
A miniature outhouse?  LOL  I honestly think my friend I would word it a bit
differently on that description.  I'm not really being critical mind ya, but if some
flatlander come across that, well let's just say we all know at least one that might
think, ' Man, if a miniature outhouse would work for a little meat, I know of a large
outhouse that'll smoke a bear carcus!!!'  LOL :(  ;)
http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
TMA #226
Expires: 2/14/11
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson