Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Arrow wounds  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Arrow wounds
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »
i got this  tonight on the plains PIS2 mailing list . thought you all might find it interesting

The Post Herald
The Official Newsletter of the 9th U.S. Infantry
Company G
Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming Territory
Issue #16
March-April 2001
Article by Bill Hutchinson
Many experienced military surgeons who had seen their share of arrow wounds between
1866 and 1889 remarked upon the rapidity with which the warriors discharged their
arrows during a skirmish. They also stated that it was exceptional to see a single wound,
because if one arrow had found it's mark, it would be immediately followed by two or
three others.
Early methods of removing arrows from wounds involved the use of the famous «duck-bill
forceps». In extracting arrows, it was recommended that the entrance wound be dilated,
the barb of the arrowhead crushed by the strong pliers, or protected between the grooves
of a split reed, and thus withdrawn without further laceration of the soft parts.
Most arrows were 24-29 inches in length. The feathers were chiefly taken from the eagle
or wild turkey. If the arrowheads were barbed and either had to be cut out or pushed
through the body, they were war arrows. The arrowpoint was attached to the shaft at a
horizontal plane because the ribs of a human are horizontal. The positioning of the
feathers at certain angles controlled the arrow in flight, resulting in hardly any rotary turn
occurring, with the tip hitting smartly between the ribs. Eight out of ten were successful
hits.
Time was important in removing an arrow from a wound. Body heat would begin to soften
the arrow glue and sinew. If the shaft remained in the body for more than a half hour, it
was certain that when extracted, the arrowhead would remain in the body. A wire snare
was sometimes used to remove the arrowhead along with the shaft. Where arrowheads
were lodged in bone and could not be detached, the surgeon procured a piece of well-
annealed iron wire, two and a half feet in length, which had the ends passed through the
holes in a long suture-wire twister and secured to it's handle. The loop passed over the
feathered end of the shaft, thrust down to snare the arrowhead, and the wire being
tightened, the foreign body and instrument were to be withdrawn together.
More than seven out of every ten with an arrow wound would die due to shock, blood
poisoning, a severed artery, or infection by arrowpoints painted with snake venom or
decayed livers of animals. The great fatality percentage of arrow wounds to the vulnerable
abdomen was well known - so well known that the Indians always aimed directly at the
umbilicus.
NOTE: Here is a medical report on one of our own of the 18th Infantry, while he was
stationed at Fort Phil Kearney in the 1860s.
Private Patrick D. Smith, of the 18th Infantry, was attacked about six miles from Fort Philip
Kearney, Dakota Territory, on the evening of September 26, 1866, by three Indians, who
inflicted five arrow wounds, and removed part of his scalp. On the next morning he was
seen by two physicians. Two of the arrows still remained in his body - one in the right
side below the region of the kidney; the other had pierced the cartilage at the junction of
the first rib with the sternum, inflicting a wound three inches in depth. The arrows were
extracted, the wound dressed, and the patient supported until 10 o'clock the next
morning, September 28th, when he expired. At the autopsy it was found that the wound
in his chest had been the cause of death. The arrow had cut the edge of the right lung,
and had inflicted a slight wound, one-eighth of an inch in length, in the descending vena
cava. The right lung and surrounding tissues were considerably infiltrated with blood, and
a large amount of coagulum was found in the cavity of the thorax.

Arrow-Wounds
Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine
By George M. Gould, M.D., Walter L. Pyle, M.D.

Bill has collected statistics and thoroughly discussed this subject, remarking upon the
rapidity with which American Indians discharge their arrows, and states that it is
exceptional to meet with only a single wound. It is commonly believed that the Indian
tribes make use of poisoned arrows, but from the reports of Bill and others, this must be a
very rare custom. Ashhurst states that he was informed by Dr. Schell, who was stationed
for some time at Fort Laramie, that it is the universal custom to dip the arrows in blood,
which is allowed to dry on them; it is not, therefore, improbable that septic material may
thus be inoculated through a wound.
Otis has collected reports of arrow-wounds from surgical cases occurring in the U. S.
Army. Of the multiple arrow-wounds, six out of the seven cases were fatal. In five in which
the cranial cavity was wounded, four patients perished. There were two remarkable
instances of recovery after penetration of the pleural cavity by arrows. The great fatality of
arrow-wounds of the abdomen is well known, and, according to Bill, the Indians always
aim at the umbilicus; when fighting Indians, the Mexicans are accustomed to envelop the
abdomen, as the most vulnerable part, in many folds of a blanket.
Of the arrow-wounds reported, nine were fatal, with one exception, in which the lesion
implicated the soft parts only. The regions injured were the scalp, face, and neck, in three
instances; the parietes of the chest in six; the long muscles of the back in two; the
abdominal muscles in two; the hip or buttocks in three; the testis in one; the shoulder or
arm in 13; forearm or hand in six; the thigh or leg in seven.
The force with which arrows are projected by Indians is so great that it has been estimated
that the initial velocity nearly equals that of a musket-ball. At a short distance an arrow
will perforate the larger bones without comminuting them, causing a slight fissure only,
and resembling the effect of a pistol-ball fired through a window-glass a few yards off.
Among extraordinary cases of recovery from arrow-wounds, several of the most striking
will be recorded. Tremaine mentions a sergeant of thirty-four who, in a fray with some
hostile Indians, received seven arrow-wounds: two on the anterior surface of the right
arm; one in the right axilla; one on the right side of the chest near the axillary border; two
on the posterior surface of the left arm near the elbow-joint, and one on the left temple.
On June 1st he was admitted to the Post Hospital at Fort Dodge, Kan. The wound on the
right arm near the deltoid discharged, and there was slight exfoliation of the humerus.
The patient was treated with simple dressings, and was returned to duty in July, 1870.
Goddard mentions an arrow-wound by which the body was transfixed. The patient was a
cutler's helper at Fort Rice, Dakota Territory. He was accidentally wounded in February,
1868, by an arrow which entered the back three inches to the right of the 5th lumbar
vertebra, and emerged about two inches to the right of the ensiform cartilage. During the
following evening the patient lost about eight ounces of blood externally, with a small
amount internally. He was confined to his bed some two weeks, suffering from
circumscribed peritonitis with irritative fever. In four weeks he was walking about, and by
July 1st was actively employed. The arrow was deposited in the Army Medical Museum.
Muller gives a report of an arrow-wound of the lung which was productive of pleurisy but
which was followed by recovery. Kugler recites the description of the case of an arrow-
wound of the thorax, complicated by frightful dyspnea and blood in the pleural cavity and
in the bronchi, with recovery.
Smart extracted a hoop-iron arrow-head, 1 3/4 inches long and 1/2 inch in breadth, from
the brain of a private, about a month after its entrance. About a dram of pus followed the
exit of the arrow-head. After the operation the right side was observed to be paralyzed,
and the man could not remember his name. He continued in a varying condition for a
month, but died on May 13, 1866, fifty-two days after the injury. At the postmortem it
was found that the brain-tissue, to the extent of 3/4 inch around the track of the arrow as
a center, was softened and disorganized. The track itself was filled with thick pus which
extended into the ventricles.
Peabody reports a most remarkable case of recovery from multiple arrow-wounds. In a
skirmish with some Indians on June 3, 1863, the patient had been wounded by eight
distinct arrows which entered different parts of the body. They were all extracted with the
exception of one, which had entered at the outer and lower margin of the right scapula,
and had passed inward and upward through the upper lobe of the right lung or trachea.
The hemorrhage at this time was so great that all hope was abandoned. The patient,
however, rallied, but continued to experience great pain on swallowing, and occasionally
spat blood. In July, 1866, more than three years after the injury, he called on Dr. Peabody
to undergo an examination with a view of applying for a pension, stating that his health
was affected from the presence of an arrow-head. He was much emaciated, and
expressed himself as tired of life. Upon probing through a small fistulous opening just
above the superior end of the sternum, the point of the arrow was found resting against
the bone, about 1 1/2 inches below, the head lying against the trachea and esophagus,
with the carotid artery, jugular vein, and nerves overlying. After some little difficulty the
point of the arrow was raised above the sternum, and it was extracted without the loss of
an ounce of blood. The edge grazed against the sheath of the innominate artery during
the operation. The missile measured an inch at the base, and was four inches long. The
health of the patient underwent remarkable improvement immediately after the operation.
Fraser

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
Re: Arrow wounds
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
I dunnoh ... as a long-time traditional archer, a few points raised my curiosity ...

Quote from: "The Post Herald"
The arrowpoint was attached to the shaft at a horizontal plane because the ribs of a human are horizontal.
I would have surmised that it would have been stronger to align the head across the grain of the arrow, as once on the bow, the grain of the arrow shaft is typically perpendicular to that of the bow.

Quote from: "The Post Herald"
The positioning of the feathers at certain angles controlled the arrow in flight, resulting in hardly any rotary turn occurring, with the tip hitting smartly between the ribs.
I read it, but it doesn't make sense to me.  Any angular orientation of the flight feathers would likely impart a rotation.  From a theoretical engineering standpoint, stating 'positioned at angles' and implying that 'no rotation takes place' is, well ... quite impossible.

All in all a neat view into what may have happened overall!   I like the forensic insight.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
well here is my thoughts . granted its been along time ago . but i do remeber the big bear brod heads would float if you didnt purposly  set the vains with alot of helical inorder to make the twist . intother words thay would fly flat
 i think this is what he is saying  but i dont know for sure

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
Captchee:  I agree those Bear b'heads drifting off course!  

Again, it was only a small point (no pun intended) but the need to impart spin and then orient the blade horizontal so it enters a rib ... are quite opposite factors.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
The fletch on an arrow today is put on with a dihedral angle according to left or wing feathers.  You must use all three feathers from the same wing at the correct angle or the arrow will not fly well.  This causes the arrow to spin much like the rifling of a barrel does to the ball or bullet.  A helical clamp will exagerate this spin.

This defintitely stabilizes an arrow with a broadhead that has a large plane surface.  The historical native arrows were smaller and the stone more dense so the arrow did not need as much spin to stabilize.  I believe that they still used same wing feathers and there was some spin.

About 10 years ago, a group of bowhunters did an experiment here in Kalispell to try to determine arrow pentration and the effects on the arrows by ribs.  They took a dressed pig carcass and cut it in two along the spine giving them two targets.  They also had a foam backstop to catch the arrows tested.  They were concerned with arrow speed and weight, broadhead shape, size and weight and fletching surface required to stabilize the arrow.  Not surprisingly, they found that smaller more dense head penetrated better, were not as affeted by ribs and needed less fletch to stabilize.  The downsize was these were all compund shooters, but the physics was useful. I wish I had a copy of their test - all I have is a word of mouth digest from a guy who participated.

As fas as us traditional bow shooters...
We cannot match the arrow speed of a compound so tend to have heavier shafts and heads.  We still have to abide by state regulations as to arrow weight and head size.  I have found that the thin razor type heads are more likely to shatter on ribs so I choose a solid heavy 4 blade construction and keep it sharp!

The moral of this story is that they are designed to penetrate and cause massive bleeding - I sure don't want to get stuck with one and have to have it removed in the ways Captchee desribes above  :oops:

Thanks for the report Captchee - you always find such interesting stuff.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
............In July, 1866, more than three years after the injury, he called on Dr. Peabody to undergo an examination with a view of applying for a pension.

That soldier should have know he wasn't going to get no pension!
Heck, in todays world, VA wouldn't even talk to him with only "eight" arrow wounds.

Just kidding.
It was a good read. In fact, I have never read anything quite like it......had to go back and read it couple of times.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
That's some interesting reading,.... thanks Captchee.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
Even a straight fletched arrow is going to spin. the natural curvature of a feather will not allow it to fly without turning the shaft.

Even a javelin thrower (which has no feathers on his javelin) incorperates a twist in his release to spin the spear.

When bare shaft tuning my recurves I notice at 10yds my 2 BLade broadheads hit the target vertical.......... they're mounted to rest on my arrow rest horizontal.

Long story short? If an arrow is going to fly??.... and arrows gonna spin.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
myself , i think this observation may have more to do with range then  actual arrow flight . maybe also with style of shooting .
 i know when i was heavy into compounds , i did alot of trying and testing of diffrent vains and  helicals .
 basicly  what i found was some  broadheads to more helical then others  or they would plain .
 I can also tell you this . the Hadatsa  arrows that fletcher made me last year  will  land the head . horizontal near every time when shot past 15 yards.
 the 4 vain 2 feather  Tsalagi arrows that i have shot also land horizonal . they fly flat as soon as they stablize off the bow

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »
Were there different arrow configurations for different uses, riding along side a Buff and shooting and arrow 3'4 feet into the target might be best suited with an arrow different from one used to shoot at targets (solders /other tribesmen) from a greater distance?

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »
This is an ACE Super Express 200gr head on the end of a cedar shaft. The broadhead sliced the rib in two and went out the other side on to the ground. Bow used was 51# laminated longbow. No need to go between ribs in this case.

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
From all I have read the main difference was the size of the arrow head.

Tribes had various styles and lengths of bows and arrows.

It had a lot to do with what natural materials were available and a whole lot to do with 'how my grandfather made it'

There was obviously some very reaching trade routes as well since artifacts found were from all over the continent.

I wish we could be more sure, but since these were natural materials, most have 'gone to dust' with only the stone points remaining.

You can get involved for days studying the subject.

As for me, I think I would rather just sit around the campfire with the like of Captchee and Longhunter and just listen to the stories the way the 'grandfathers ' told them.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
Hadda lot to do with the use function and available material Fletcher. So yes sir you are correct.

You find alot more shorter plains style bows where bison were hunted and horse back archery was more common. you find both longer bows as well as arrows where more ground ground stalking and stationary prey or shots were common.

I honestly believe head size THEN was the same as head size NOW.

And as Ron is a fella thats can vouch on penetration power on game as well. If memory serves me Ron won world titles shootin bows in the 100# range. and I also  know he's killed big game with bows under 55#s. thats some HUGE  draw wieght/BH arrow combo and set up differences there.

I truly love BIG snuffers and ACE 200gr supers. but you won't catch me trying to kill deer with them on a sub 50# bow, lower performance bow, or light wieght arrow. My favorite set up for that is a 60# curve,  and a twig thats gonna come in around 580-600grs when tipped with a 200gr ace super express.

Lighter bows?? I'm a WW fan.

Science has 1,000 differnt formulas and methods as does physics to explain to man how penetration works. But in good ol boys terms?? A bowlin balls gonna knock a bigger dent than a soft ball, and it's easier to punch a needle through a hey stack than a shovel. So way before physics proffessors and scientist were here to explain to us all how broadhead size and shape as well as arrow weight and energy placed behind such arrow effects penetration..... I gotta good notion the natives already knew that.

The seminole one fletch or (two fletch as many view it) is one of the main two feathered arrows people see and why it's brought up in most conversations. in all acutality the seminole two fletch was actually a "one fletch"

The reasoning was simple... the best and most available arrow material in their area was cane. They merely SPLIT the nock end of the cane... slid a turkey feather in to the split where it's "fletches/fibers" were evenly disperesed to each side and wrapped it in with sinew.

I spent 4yrs in england and while there read up and talked and visited as many places as I could to learn of the english longbow.

The length and draw wieght of these bows were two fold... you can NOT get that sort of draw wieght out of that design out of the woods they had available WITHOUT the bows being as "tall as a man" Their beliefs were heavier draws helped penetrate armor and lengthen the cast of the shaft. In all effect an arrow will kill as far as you can shoot it. Anyone willing to stand in the middle of a field while someone lobs arrows at them from 150yds away to prove that false?? I'll run the video camera. ;)

Just rambling a bit.... BUt both steer back to materials available. as well as function... Bodkins were designed to penetrate mail armor... we find native heads we call "bird points" merely because they're small..... I would venture to bet smaller heads were for harder to penetrate animals.....

From what I've gathered in my readin the only difference was native american (especially those hunting bison!) were in all reasoning NOT trying to kill their game with a single shot..... It was simply a "shoot it til it stops twitching.... if it runs too far track it down and shoot it again."

Arrow lethailty?? You ever see the test where a 5 gallon bucket is filled with wet sand?? You can put a 600gr shaft with a razor sharp 2 blade off a 70# recurve COMPLETELY through the bucket full of sand... on the other hand..... my 45 acp loaded with 230gr hydra shocks WOULD NOT get an exit hole on the bucket. I know I know force of momentum and penetration compared to ballistics. tomoato potato....... but it shows the stick can do it's job.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
Good reading Dawg....:rt th

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »
The point about horseback archery/bison hunting got me thinking. Anyone know if the shorter bows evolved after the arrival of the Big Dog on the plains? In other words, were their bows longer before they started hunting horseback? Just curious...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393