Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: BUYING A BESS ??  (Read 867 times)

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
BUYING A BESS ??
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
I just had an individual as me the following ??
1. Wants a GOOD quality
2. what makers ?
3. where to buy?

Yed I did refer him to the TMA, I would like your suggestions to also add to my knowlede.

Thank you

PUFFER
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »
The only Bess I have ever owned I traded off many a year ago.  I believe it was a Pedersoli.  And I also believe I was really stupid to get rid of it.
It sparked extremely well, and the touch hole (not liner) was large enough to self prime with Ffg.  It was fast!!!  It would also fire upside down, should the need ever arise.  Still have the little blue tattoos on my left bicep to prove it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »
The only 2 real choices are the Pedersoli Bess and the various Indian made ones. I love my Pedersoli Bess. If I could only own one muzzleloader, it would be the one. They are very good quality and parts are readily available and don't need to be hand fitted.

The Indian made Bess' are great for reenactors but I wouldn't want to use one as a true shooter. Parts are hard to come by and need to be hand fitted. And the fit and finish have a lot to be desired.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
Puffer what about jess?? the guy buttons got his baker from, does he build a bess?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
I also LOVE my Pedersoli Bess!  It is just as Hawkeye said.  I won't ever give mine up.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
They are very good quality and parts are readily available and don't need to be hand fitted.

The Indian made Bess' are great for reenactors but I wouldn't want to use one as a true shooter. Parts are hard to come by and need to be hand fitted. And the fit and finish have a lot to be desired

Sorry fellas, have to disagree with you here.  Perhaps it's the state of the newer besses on the market?

Pedersoli makes a poor copy of a 2nd Model Bess, which for the vast majority of history minded folks, is incorrect for reenactment in North America.  I have had to harden several "new" Pedersoli frizzens in the past couple of years, I have replaced several main springs that came cracked from the factory, and Pedersoli replacements arrived cracked as well.  Finding Pedersoli parts "available" on line is easy, finding them in stock is not always as easy.  Finding forged after market, quality mainsprings is easy, but they do sometimes need fitting.

I have a proper 1st Model King's Musket from Loyalist Arms in Canada.  I have the 1756 era version with nose cap and metal rammer.  The fit is excellent, the markings are proper, the function of the lock is correct; sparking well, and it is rated to fire live.  The wood is not correct (neither is Pedersoli's) but for $300 less than the incorrect Pedersoli...., I have no trouble refinishing the stock.    

I know of ONE incident where an Indian made Bess blew up, it was not a Loyalist Arms Bess, AND it was most probably due to the incorrect dumping of several unfired charges building up in the barrel beyond the breech.  

LD

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/flintlockmatchlocketcmuskets.html/
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:00:16 AM »
I agree with Dave. The new Pedersolis have been having a quality control problem.

The India Besses:

A. Are perfectly safe to shoot live.
B. Are more correct for most impressions other than a brit Regular of the RevWar period.
C. The parts that need fitting don't break very often. I don't know of anyone that's had to replace any springs, etc.

Mario