Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What size R/B for 12 ga?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Matt B

• TMA Forum Member
What size R/B for 12 ga?
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
If this has been asked before, please link me to that discussion. Looking to see what size round ball would fit a 12 ga s x s. Planning for the fall hunt, I've taken deer with my two 50 cal caplocks already.

I was also thinking loading one barrel with round ball and the other with several .36 cal round balls.  

Thoughts?

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
I use a .690 with heavy denim patch in mine
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Re: What size R/B for 12 ga?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
Quote from: "Matt B"
I was also thinking loading one barrel with round ball and the other with several .36 cal round balls.  

Thoughts?

My first thought was "check the regs!"

In MN you can't deer hunt (In Muzzleloader Season) With more than one barrel or with more than a single projectile in that barrel.

That being said... Let us know how you make out with it.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Is you gun improved cylinder bore?  I have heard that accuracy is made worse when dealing with 'choke'

Anybody know for sure?
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »
Both mine have no choke and I'm lucky to hit a target past 40 yards with a PRB
 But DANG If I Do Connect  :shock: The 10:00am BNSFe doesn't hit any harder
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »
The .360 rbs should (IIFC) chamber, or stack in twos in your 12ga.  .310s would stack in threes.  I've fired my 12ga with 9 .310's loaded in it with fair results at about 35 yards.  To be fair, I haven't had the time to really play with different loads yet  :(

BTW...if your bbl is choked, use the choked size to chamber the rb's.  In other words, don't drop them in one at a time and stack them in threes at the breech and expect them to stay in the same position/relationship/stack... whatever... when they get to the choke.
Leastwise, that was what I was taught...ymmv.
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »
I had a T/C New Englander with a cylinder bore.  I used a .715 ball in it with great results.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Matt B

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:20:39 AM »
Guys thanks for the replies, especially Riley's. I never even thought there might be something about how many barrels. So yeah there is, only one barrel.

Guess I'll have to bring two guns with me. Maybe try the pistol out, it meets the rules.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Re: What size R/B for 12 ga?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12:13 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
Quote from: "Matt B"
I was also thinking loading one barrel with round ball and the other with several .36 cal round balls.  Thoughts?
My first thought was "check the regs!"

In MN you can't deer hunt (In Muzzleloader Season) With more than one barrel or with more than a single projectile in that barrel.  That being said... Let us know how you make out with it.

Pretty much the same in WA.  One  neat thing about the WA black powder regs is the season is called "Primitive" not "Muzzleloading" and only real black powder, pure lead, and ignition systems "open to the elements" and not using centerfire primers are legal.  Only one barrel of a multiple barreled gun and a single projectile.  A pistol may be carried for personal protection or Forest Grouse, but a Coup de Grace must be administered with a legal arm.  The only covering of a projectile is a patch on a roundball.  NO SABOTS or JACKETTED bullets.  

I can't remember the number of times I've seen guys using inlines and break actions who I told about the regs call me all sorts of names.  Some not nice, if you can believe it.   I recommended they read the regs with particular attention to the penalties which are draconian.  

Upon conviction of violation of hunting regulations, you are barred for life from hunting and fishing, all your appurtenant gear including, but not limited to, guns, tackle, camping equipment and vehicles may be confiscated, heavy fines and serious jail time too.

A couple years ago one nitwit who was on probation for other game law violations got caught with an inline,  then had to serve his two years, and had his pickup, camper, a pair of four wheelers, the trailer and half a dozen guns confiscated.  Why they didn't fine him ten or twenty thousand dollars mysistifies me.  Maybe the judge just forgot to.

WA is not a good State to screw around with game regulations.

Three Hawks.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.