Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's a tinder box  (Read 1431 times)

Offline 45flint

• TMA Forum Member
What's a tinder box
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
I've heard of having flint,steel and char in a container , but I've heard the term "tinder box", are they one and the same ?
NRA Life Member, new to flints, have .45 JP McCoy

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
Yes, I would say so. Now, that all depends on who you talk to. On here...I believe most would agree....start talking "tinder" to outsiders and such....they might be apt to believe the "tinder" is what we call "tow".
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
I just refer to my kit as "fireworks." Buckskin bag with a hank of tow in the bottom, and my metal box holding steel, flint, and char.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
I call mine a "Strike A Light" box.   I dunno what's traditional but in my strike a light there are a fire steel, a flint chard, a burning glass, char cloth,  and some red cedar bark for tinder.

The fire steel and flint make sparks, the burning glass concentrates sunlight, the char cloth catches the spark and the tinder catches fire from the ember in the char cloth.

Your mileage, as always, may vary.

Three Hawks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:13:29 PM by Three Hawks »
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
Is not a tinderbox that  half pistol looking thing that has a rocklock and trigger that sits above a small box full of tinder? kinds like the rich womans lighter for her kitchen?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline deadfallpaul

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »
When I was selling antiques a tinder box was a  tin container about 5 inches round that had a socket for a candle on top.
You opened it up to access your flint, steel and "tinder" and a candle stub.
Sold quite a few of them.
Wish I had a picture!
THE TMA.  JOIN TODAY!

Common Sense Isn't That Common!

Molon labe!

TMA  member #  336    exp. 3-1-10
      3rd Ulster Co. NY Militia
    National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc.
    N.R.A.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:26 PM »
Thanks Paul, so whats the rig I talked about called? anybody got a clue?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
8)
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
Is not a tinderbox that  half pistol looking thing that has a rocklock and trigger that sits above a small box full of tinder? kinds like the rich womans lighter for her kitchen?

I'm not sure of what you're describing here Beav but I believe a tender box is just that, a place to store "tender" for making a fire.

When I hear the term "Tinderbox" my mind goes back to my young days in the early 1940's and my Great Aunt, who was the oldest living member on my father's side at 102 years old when she finally passed on.

She often described the metal box containing her "strike-anywhere" matches, as a tinderbox....She kept her "tinderbox" on the wall in the kitchen to light her WARM MORNING Kitchen stove which was a very nice old porcelain covered wood stove with  really large twin ovens, a side reservoir for water on each end, and two over head warming ovens....now that was a stove, and it was often used to heat the entire house in the winter time, as the fireplaces were just to inefficient in that day.

I believe a tinderbox is about anything used to store your flint and steel, along with anything else you may use to start your fire such as tow, or flax seed, or sap splinters.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Mike Ameling

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:23 PM »
As it is generally used today, a "tinderbox" is the container you carry your flint/striker/char in.  And most things being sold as "tinderboxes" are actually tobacco tins - like those oval brass ones with a magnifying lens in the lid.  Those are "tobacco" containers.

A true tinderbox held bits of charred punky wood in it.  Sometimes your flint/steel were also kept in there.  You struck sparks down into that "tinderbox" until that charred wood caught a spark.  You then fished that ember out and started your fire.  And you also then put the lid back on your "tinderbox" to smother out any embers still burning in it.  

A lot of the early "tinderboxes" were true wood boxes - carved out of a thick board with a fairly tight fitting lid to set down in them.  That tight fitting lid put out any still burning embers inside it, and saved that charred wood bits for the next time you needed to start a fire.  When you needed to refill your "tinderbox", you fished some coals out of your current fire, put them in that "tinderbox", and closed it up.  Those coals would then smother and go out - and be ready for you the next time.  The wood tinderboxes usually ended up pretty "charred" or blackened on the inside.

The metal "tinderboxes" worked the same way - just in a tin container instead of wood.  They often had an extra plate to set down inside to snuff out burning embers.  And often had a socket on top for a candle.  You stored your flint/steel inside but on top of that snuffing plate.  So you had everything in one container to start a fire and get that candle lit.

Those pistol shaped items were just a mechanical flint striler.  It worked just like the lock on your flintlock gun.  But the "pan" was often very deep - to hold your charred bits of wood to catch the sparks.  And many times, the "barrel" was hinged and a candle was stored inside it.  Sometimes that candle was already in a socket that swiveled up, other times it was just stored there to be taken out and set down in a socket attached to the "pistol" somewhere on the side.  They usually also had a pair of legs under the "barrel" to hold it upright.  CVA or Dixie used to sell kits to make into a small one of these.  I picked one up at a garage sale years ago, but I need to get or make a trigger for it.  The rest is all there.  One of these --- projects ---- to tinker on sometime.

So those oval brass containers are actually Tobacco containers, but many people use them to hold their fire starting kit.  They work very well for that.

Just my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Offline Pichou

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://sites.google.com/site/historicalfurtradewi/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »
I have not seen description or picture of a original tobacco box with burning glass in brass.  Originals are steel or Japanned.
Pichou (Biziw)

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Beav -  I think this is what you are talking about. Its called a tinder lighter ca. 1690-1710

[albumimg:4h3s6utq]3636[/albumimg:4h3s6utq]
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14