Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: alcohol wipes for wet pans  (Read 916 times)

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
alcohol wipes for wet pans
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
a buddy asked me today about using alcohol wipes to drive out moisture when the pan gets wet

last day of flintlock was heavy wet snow/sleet/freezing rain

he opened his pan several times and each time it was "mud" in his terms (water and pan powder)

he asked what to do

I went through the long spiel about ensuring good lock fit, good fit of frizzen on pan (keeping stray grains off the flats), using a cover or cow's knee, etc. etc. etc.

then he asked what I though about using alcohol wipes

I said others I know (you folks here) often use alcohol as a final wipe after cleaning to get moisture out of the bore

but he said he used these wipes to clean off the pan and it "worked like a charm" to dry it out

anybody else done this?

not PC, but everthing matters when hunting, so I might just carry one or two on those days - that same day (I was hunting alone, not with him), I fell 2 or 3 times and dumped my lock right in the snow - saturated pan. had to brush and wipe and blow to get the moisture out
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
carry a dozen or so in my bag at all times,this is what i use to clean the pan and run down the bore every 6 to 8 shots. at the end of a days hunt or shoot after cleaning, i pour about an eighth of a cup of denatured alcohol down the bore to displace any moisture. followed by a couple dry patches,then the final oiling. also for moisture control i highly recommend polishing the pan,not only does it help control moisture it keeps the pan cleaner for more shots between wiping.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:30:17 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about with the terrible weather the last day of the flint season. I may give the alcohol a try sometime.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:59 AM »
I'm kind of like David, when out practicing i'll use baby wipes to clean the pan occasionally, and run the barrel when she gets tight.
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:11:20 AM »
So the crud gets removed, and the alcohol evaporates faster than water, but the problem of moisture getting into the pan isn't solved, so it really doesn't matter.  You were right telling him to worry and attend to the problem of the water's origin.

Now in heavy humidity after that first shot, I sometimes have a damp bit o'crud left in the pan, and an alcohol wipe would work well for that.  Don't forget to prick the touch-hole as wiping tends to smear gunk into the T.H.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
:shake
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"