Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blowing down barrel  (Read 4942 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Not being in a hurry, after firing a round I just drop the ramrod down the bore a couple times until it stops smoking.

Personally I am not quite at the stage in life where I care to put the muzzle of a gun in my mouth. Understand it is effective, though.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
With regards to this thread I'm curious about which style ML would be more prone to catch and hold a glowing ember.  

A flintlock has two ports (vent and muzle) after firing to allow a natural inflow of air.  Would that aid a more complete combustion of residue thereby making a flinter less probable to cook off a new load?      

A caplock only has the muzzle to allow the air to return until the old cap is removed (manually or otherwise).  Is it possible a new load was poured down a barrel with the old cap still in place?    

In the experience of those who have witnessed the occurence was the ML a caplock or flintlock?

With modern powder I find it hard to imagine how any part of a reasonable and properly loaded charge could remain smoldering in a barrel.  With the high heat, high pressure, and oxidizers I have a hard time seeing it.  

Now if you mention a poorly built rifle with some crazy nook or crany that can trap an ember I might consider that.  Were the cooked off loads in MLers with a patent breech?

I'm just curious.

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
in the case i saw , salt , it was a cap lock with a drum bolster .
 but i also shoot only flinlocks  and as i have said . seen the hot coal glowing  in the touch hole  during night shoots

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
Some years back I sold my matchlock rifle to a fella named Jurgella. His right index finger had a signifcant scar, I think in place of a fingerprint. He had most correctly not put his hand over the ramrod, which is why he did still have a pretty good finger. But, during some reenactment, the gun went BOOM when he loaded it.

Hope he survived shooting that matchlock, I found it Exciting to shoot. It did always go BOOM.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »
I don't ever have the opportunity to shoot at night.  Seeing a glowing ember in the chamber after firing would sure be a wake up call.  

I don't blow down the barrel nor do I wipe between shots.  I don't advocate either way.  

But I never shoot for speed nor use large powder charges.  

Salt

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »
between my wife and i , salt ... we shoot near 30 lbsof powder a year
 at our Night  shoots , we shoot at chem sticks at 30 yards
 its very hard to see your sights .
 but when you move then back and forth across the light you can see them .
 its fun and and very impressive .

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
at our Night shoots , we shoot at chem sticks at 30 yards

I'd looove to see a picture of a light stick blowing up!! :shock:
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
Quote from: "Two Steps"
at our Night shoots , we shoot at chem sticks at 30 yards

I'd looove to see a picture of a light stick blowing up!! :P
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline viking-sword

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
When this thread topic first started I read with interest about all the opinions and possibilities that could cause such problems. I did not keep up with the subject after a time as things of other interest took me away so I admit that I have not read every entry on this topic and beg your forgiveness in that regard.  I do in fact blow down my barrel after most every shot, but not before pulling the hammer back and either clearing the remnants of the,cap, or opening the pan of my flinter, in this way, I'm not futilely blowing air down the barrel that has no escape port. Of course, most times, when I do this I'm reassured immediately, that my charge has gone off from the smoke exiting the nipple or flash hole, that was until recently, when I tried being more versatile with the shooters that I have, as I only own large caliber rifles, .54 and above and I wanted to start hunting rabbits and other small game. It was suggested that you could use your big guns for this if you only diminished greatly the size of your powder load, which I did, and you know what? It works, It works well, but when you take 13 pound gun and reduce the load so much that it doesn't kick at all, and very little if any smoke is produced save for the cap, or the primer powder going off, It gives you a concerned pause as to whether you actually expelled a round ball out the end of that gun or not. I actually reduced the powder charge so low on one occasion that I heard the ball poop out the end of the barrel less than ten yards in front of me with the patch only a few feet in front of me, and yeah, there was some unburned powder still in the barrel, I discovered this because I went to pick up the patch while carrying the rifle muzzle down and saw what came out the barrel end left on the snow. Had I just went for another followup reload as is my habit, I would have loaded another charge of powder down the barrel of unburned and perhaps still smoldering powder from the previous shot. I no longer use my rifles in this manner. I am instead looking into a much smaller caliber rifle for small game hunting. Not saying it can't happen will always bring about a situation to prove us all wrong. Had I dropped the butt of my rifle to the ground that time it would have recollected the unburned powder to the bottom of the barrel just as I was close to sticking my face over the muzzle. I still follow this practice of blowing down the barrel(perhaps it isn't wise)but I do always load reasonable loads for the caliber I'm shooting, and there is "never" any doubt as to whether or not a charge has gone off. I expect there will be thought on both sides of this post, but I just thought I'd share some food for thought from my own experience. Wes

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:27 PM »
I started shooting muzzle loaders back in the '70's and at that time and into a goodly part of the '80's, blowing down the barrel was encouraged.  That's just the way it was back then.

I can not recall one time in all these years of shooting muzzle loading rifles that I did not know if my rifle fired or not.  Maybe I'm odd but I have always known if my rifle has fired.

Do I blow down my barrel after the shot?  Yes I do...

Do I teach others to do as I do?  No...

Have I ever seen any documentation on someone blowing their head off from blowing down their barrel, or someone elses?  No...  

Have I seen folks muzzle sweep the firing line when their ML fails to fire?  Yes...

Do I visit while loading my rifle?  No...

Do other people visit when they're loading?  I've seen it happen...

I really have no opinion on blowing down the barrel, except I'll continue to do it.  If that somehow endangers the person's off to my left or right,,, well,,, sorry.  

I do ask that you don't barrel sweep me or step behind me to pick your nipple or nap your flint when your rifle fails to fire.  Of that I would be appreciative of, as this is the most dangerous thing I've seen many a shooter's do when they have a misfire.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
Over the weekend I spoke with a long time ML shooter about his experience with loads cooking off when powder is loaded in the barrel.  

He told me he had never witnessed a powder flare during loading but had heard about an incident durung an NSSA rapid fire shoot.  

I see how rapid reloading would be more prone to an unwanted discharge.

Salt

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Blowing Down the Barrel
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
I am such a slow loader,it is not a problem with
me.To you really fast loaders,it makes more sence
to blow from the bottom than to blow down the
barrel :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Prime rules of gun safety are to treat every gun as being loaded, and to not ever point a gun, loaded or not, at anything you dont want to put a hole through.

I think that covers it.

Offline bushy

• TMA Forum Member
Blowing
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
I blow down my barrel.  Alot safer than pointing a flinter at the reenactors standing across a field.  Playing cowboys and Indians with real guns is way beyond all safety rules of gun handling.  So sayeth me.
Love to shoot those smoke poles but I just point them at targets or game.  This topic has been way overexposed.  Gun Safety is your own right.

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Amigo)Stay Well and Shoot Often

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
My offer still stands,... ANYONE who can get my muzzleloaders to FIRE without LOADING them, can have them.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6