Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Does your lube effect accuracy?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
not be too snarky, but I keep seeing some of you "new guys" wanting a "lube that will work in all conditions, but not get all over my hands and stuff"....maybe shooting traditionally isn't for you? No offense intended, but this is a fairly "dirty" sport in general!!! It's like the "boys" who ask me how to make a fire with flint/steel, but don't want to get burned or maybe a little flint cut or get smoke in their eyes!!! LUBE is GREASY!! It'll put "patina" on you and your gear and it's just part of "it"....if you ever find this mysterious lube(and a way to make fire without smoke!), let me know....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
A little thing I fergot to mention (that speeds up my loading time a bit), is that all my powderhorns are drilled to 3/8",... this allows me to fill a 90 gr. measure much faster than a horn that's only drilled 1/4".  :rt th  :)  

YMMV
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
Mark,

Not taken snarky at all. But sorry bro ya aint gettin me to stop shootin these guns that easy (HA!!) it's not that I mind the mess (man you don't know what messy is!! lol). It's not only that I'm an outdoorsman, but I work outside pretty much as well 102 in August or 20 in dec. I'm out there in it.. I don't think I own a pair of jeans that doesn't have oil, paint, caulk, tar, solar seal or something on them. Messy is not really the issue, getting my hands dirty isn't really the issue.

STINKING lubes (like that funny smell bore butter has) and PLASTIC SQUEEZE TUBES in my leather possibles bag are my issues. And like Mark said I guess I could just use those prelubed patches (which work OK) but then I gotta PLASTIC ZIPLOC BAGGY in my possibles bag.

I don't mind having a patch material thats already lubed, but if it's floating loose in my bag?? It gets all over my primer flask (done clogged that nipple once) and makes a mess down inside my bag. I don;t want to have to fumble through lard and fat to find a roundball, a pouch, a primer flask, capper or anything like that. Don;t wanna grab the cord my vent pic is attached to and pull it out and it look like a lollipop with a lard ball on the end of it.

So if a messy lube is what I need to use?? I'll use that....... I just don't want it to stink sa bad in such an UNNATURAL scent. I've watched a deer walk straight up to a gut pile and job it's nose in the blood, so I know fats and such aint gonna bother em. But I've watched em turn wrong side out at the mere wiff a a new rubber boot as well.  And if I need to use a messy lube?? No problem! But I'm making a seperate pouch specifically for patches and nothing else (And I aind seen no historical evidence of dedicated patch bags yet so I know there's another way.)

So I guess other than my original question which was does different lubes effect accuracy. I need to ask another one......... another two.

You hunt pretty cold climates. Do you use a different lube for warmer weather versus colder weather??

And while sitting there watching deer at 200yds this morning the light sort of went on as I peered at the stock on my flinter. well DUH!! Put the friggin lube/grease/whatever in the dadgum grease hole!! I'm going to try deer tallow for it as soon as season is over and I got range time to experiment.

Now that one I have figured. Carry a dry strip of patch material, and as soon as I figure out which recipe works best for me just fill the grease hole up in the stock.

Now on to my Plains rifle. You guys with patch boxes. do yall carry greased patches in them?? or dry ones?? Would or is this the best way of doing it?? Just stuff a strip of prelubed patch in the patch box? If so I think I'll order a patch box and put it on the rifle.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:38 PM »
first off-my name is Mitch(not Mark)<grin>.....I keep my greased patches on my shooting bag strap. I use pre-cut square patches. I will run a thread thru one corner of the patches(close as you can to the two edges), usually about 10 per "stack", I'll lube'em, then "sew" the thread thru a hole and back up thru another(tiny holes), tie off the thread tight. Now you have lubed patches on your bag. when needed, just pull one off(I suggest you experiment with this at home, before you go to the woods) and you're ready to load. if the patches are a bit dry, a quick lick on the barrel side of the patch will suffice(for me anyway).....I've also just rubbed some grease into the patches before I go out. I mostly use "grease/oil" year around, as I leave my flinters loaded almost all the time. I do use spit when shooting at a rendezvous or at the range(in the summer anyway)....hope this helps, Mitch

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »
Sorry bout the name thing. That sounds pretty neat. so your not sewing all the patches with one thick thread then?? You're sewing an individual patch to your bag and then right next to it  another individual patch to the bag?

Do you ever carry your lube for extra as well??

I may just try this AFTER deer season ( only thing I'm trying until then is to kill mor edeer ;)
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01:54 AM »
Quote from: "IronDawg"
Mark,

Not taken snarky at all. But sorry bro ya aint gettin me to stop shootin these guns that easy (HA!!) it's not that I mind the mess (man you don't know what messy is!! lol). It's not only that I'm an outdoorsman, but I work outside pretty much as well 102 in August or 20 in dec. I'm out there in it.. I don't think I own a pair of jeans that doesn't have oil, paint, caulk, tar, solar seal or something on them. Messy is not really the issue, getting my hands dirty isn't really the issue.

STINKING lubes (like that funny smell bore butter has) and PLASTIC SQUEEZE TUBES in my leather possibles bag are my issues. And like Mark said I guess I could just use those prelubed patches (which work OK) but then I gotta PLASTIC ZIPLOC BAGGY in my possibles bag.

I don't mind having a patch material thats already lubed, but if it's floating loose in my bag?? It gets all over my primer flask (done clogged that nipple once) and makes a mess down inside my bag. I don;t want to have to fumble through lard and fat to find a roundball, a pouch, a primer flask, capper or anything like that. Don;t wanna grab the cord my vent pic is attached to and pull it out and it look like a lollipop with a lard ball on the end of it.

So if a messy lube is what I need to use?? I'll use that....... I just don't want it to stink sa bad in such an UNNATURAL scent. I've watched a deer walk straight up to a gut pile and job it's nose in the blood, so I know fats and such aint gonna bother em. But I've watched em turn wrong side out at the mere wiff a a new rubber boot as well.  And if I need to use a messy lube?? No problem! But I'm making a seperate pouch specifically for patches and nothing else (And I aind seen no historical evidence of dedicated patch bags yet so I know there's another way.)

So I guess other than my original question which was does different lubes effect accuracy. I need to ask another one......... another two.

You hunt pretty cold climates. Do you use a different lube for warmer weather versus colder weather??

And while sitting there watching deer at 200yds this morning the light sort of went on as I peered at the stock on my flinter. well DUH!! Put the friggin lube/grease/whatever in the dadgum grease hole!! I'm going to try deer tallow for it as soon as season is over and I got range time to experiment.

Now that one I have figured. Carry a dry strip of patch material, and as soon as I figure out which recipe works best for me just fill the grease hole up in the stock.

Now on to my Plains rifle. You guys with patch boxes. do yall carry greased patches in them?? or dry ones?? Would or is this the best way of doing it?? Just stuff a strip of prelubed patch in the patch box? If so I think I'll order a patch box and put it on the rifle.

When I use "lubed" patchs,... I pre-cut the patchs, then lube them and put them in an "Altoid tin".

Whenever I need a patch, I simply pull the tin outta my bag, grab a lubed patch, then drop the tin back into my shooting back,... NO "fuss", NO "mess".

I do burn all the fancy writtin' off the tin and rub it down with some steel wool, in order to make it look nice and "old timey".  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 08:12:54 AM »
yep i used to  do the same as rollingB , and used a empty cap tin to hold pre lube's
 i  never did stitch patches together as i only used pre cut for  maybe a year .
 what i did was take a strip of ticking and  cut it a little larger then the patch i wanted .  then i folded that strip back and forth , also the  width of the patch . . then cut  around  the stack  so as that you leave just about 1/8  of the fold left  on  two sides  of the stack of patches . this leaves the patches connected by an 1/8 inch area  . If you want more the 4 or 5 , then  just  fold 4 or 5 at a time . Cut them out , then refold another 4 or 5 along the same strip . You can continue and have all the patches connected , even if you want 100 on a strip .
To load , simply place the patch on the muzzle ,  just as you would  if you were cutting patches at the muzzle start the ball , then  grab the next patch in line  and give  a yank . the patch will disconnect from the one you just loaded .
 No fumbling  around with opening a tin ,  no trying to separated just one patch so  you don’t accidentally double patch .
 To lube them , just heat up you chosen mix  to a liquid state . Once there ., just soak your patches in it and squeegee out the excess that doesn’t absorb into the patch .

Another miss conception IMO is that a lube must be sticky and goopy to work  I don’t believe this is the case.  its also where a lot of new folks trying to use spit patches for the first time go wrong and then  get the idea that spit will foul a charge .
  Simply put , you don’t need a lot  just enough to dampen the patch , be it lubed or spit .

If any of you were to see me at a shoot , I will have a long strip of ticking tied off to my rifle bag strap . But when hunting  I only have a piece about 12 inches long . Enough for approx 10 ball .
 I always carry a minimum of 10 balls  no mater if im planning on just a day  hunt

As to how fast  one can load ? Again I would agree with Rolling .
 But you have to be organized . Be able to reach into your bag ,  while locked on your target and instantly grab what your wanting .

Shooting event wise , im not very good at the speed events . Best I ever did  was 8 shoots on target at 25  , in 2 minutes . But that was only loading a Patch on the first  shot  and spitting balls  after that .
 It wasn’t even good enough to place  in the top 5 .
 Hunting wise though is much , Much different .

When I first started  our I did a lot of reading. One of the reads was  on British loading standards .  As I recall it listed   4 shots  shouldered and fired in under a minute .

I worked like a beaver all summer trying to get to that . Never did . But I did get 3 loaded and off . OHHH I was all set . . Opening morning  I dropped a big muley doe in the snow  . She flat dropped  like a car had hit here . I started to reload . Im locked on  her boy I tell you what .. I was big time now .!!!
 When I walked up to her  she was done . Was a wonderful shot ..
 that’s when I hear my dad laughing  . I thought he was going to  literally fall down .
 He would slow down look up , wipe the tears and go right back at it
 Finally he says , you know you might want to unload that rifle . And then starts in laughing again . So im thinking ??????/
 I picked it up   pointed it at a big pine . She went  pop and the ball shot out  maybe 15ft .

Seems all my practice was  wasted . The blood was pumping so hard I had dumped most of my load of  powder all around the muzzle and onto the snow. When I had   thought I was putting items back in my rifle bag , I was missing  the bag and  thus had a nice trail of coderments   which my dad was picking up behind me .

So today I tell folks . Make that first shot count . Then reload like  the Calvary is on your tail  , but don’t go so fast that you brain shifts to neutral, but forgets to tell your hands .

Take enough time to load properly . Never EVER walk up on a downed animal  with an empty gun . Even if you think its all over  especially not   one with horns .
 I cant say about white tail , but  have seen  mule deer , elk and moose males and  females use their last spark  to  get up  and try there very best to stomp a   mud hole in you .

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
Mitch, :-)  BWAAAAH!!!  LOL!  Now I bet it's been a long time since you got a compliment like being mistaken for ME!!!!  Ha ha h a ha ...Now after all our good natured fussing and ribbing....that little honest mistake by ole Irondawg is priceless!! Just thinking about confusing us for oneanother is killing me! :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »
yep, it had me laughing too!! and IronDawg-I do sew my patches in a stack-one thin thread,enough to hold the patches, thin enough to let it rip thru the corner. If I was a bit more computer smart and had a camera, I'd post a picture. and mark-you are most welcome in my camp anytime

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
Wow - this turned into a big conversation and I seemed to have missed it starting.

Anyway, I think the experts have made the good points and all I want to add is that his would be a great topic for the Journal so it could be available to viewers new and old.

It may be a good time for a mutilple input article, since there are so many ways to do a good patch lube and so many 'old timers' set in their ways as how to do it.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
Another thing I do with bigger ball(like for my 20g)-I'll take a square patch,place ball in the center, and then "sew" the patch to the ball. It's called a "jaeger patch" I think. Basically, I'll pull the 2 opposing corners together, run a needle/thread thru as close to top of ball as possible,then the same thing with the other 2 corners. a couple of wraps of thread, tie off the thread ends and trim. then lube as usual and these ball go in a small pocket on the front of my shooting bag. Don't freak out and start  worrying about the patch staying on the ball, I've not had that happen yet and have been using this technique for about 6yrs.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »
Hmmm, I'm going to have to try that Mitch. Sounds interesting.  :th up
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
Mitch, Thanks for the camp welcome. Same here. I bet we could stir the fire with a couple of other buddies and have a good ole discussion bout guns and politics and the likes of such stuff as us banterers like to cuss and discuss about! :-) Long as you been at this, I know I would  learn something and that is what I am into at this point. :-)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:17 AM »
OK, now a serious question about lubes. Exactly what are we striving for? I can now see that there is a great quest of sorts going on for the holy grail of lube concoction. What do the special blends do that ...say...the ox yoke prelubed(wonderlube) patches won't do? This is an honest question, not a banter! :-) I am well known to be a fairly newcomer. I can see that many of you mix and heat and cook and go to great lengths to get some slickey on your patches and I figure there is bound to be some reason for it that I have not been told about yet!! What are we trying to do, acomplish, avoid, achieve, improve, deter, enhance.....etc....that regular pre-lubed patches like I use won't do? I mean, it it takes moose snot then I will twist a moose's nose but I would  like to know why first?? :-)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
I am well known to be a fairly newcomer.....

Mark, with all due respect, this dog will no longer hunt.

You have been a guest here for two years, so you are are no longer seen as just a newbie. If your curiosity drives you to ask a question, just ask it. No harm, no foul.

If it is the Holy Grail in Muzzleloading that you are looking for, it is going to require a lot of personal experimenting along with the acceptance of some of what you read on any open forum.

Once again, Whats good for the Goose is not always good for the Gander.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4