Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Sadistic buttstock is killing me!!  (Read 4470 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
Sadistic buttstock is killing me!!
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »
I got a Tennessee type rifle with a heavily curved buttplate that is killing me. The rifle is .62 cal and I shot it about fifteen times yesterday evening with heavy loads and the top of my shoulder looks like it was attacked with a mining pick!! I am a pretty big ole country boy and thought I was tough but daaaanggit!!  Can I grind the sadistic horns off this steel buttplate?  Any of you all ever altered one of these things so it is a bit more pleasant to shoot. I finished off my range session with a towel between the stock and my shoulder but I would sure like to be able to blast with the thing without the towel. :-)

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
Mark...Try placing the butt just to the outside of your shoulder instead of square on your shoulder (as with a modern type rifle).  Some folks will pull them down even farther...kinda at the top of their bicep.  That should keep the pointed ends from digging in.
What load are you shooting?  
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »
yep, what TwoSteps said....shooting that curved butt is "different" than shooting a shotgun or modern stocked rifles...
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline FG1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
Yepper what they said  :lt th
NRA Life Member

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:11:19 PM »
Men, Respectfully, I am shooting 180 grains of 2F in .62 cal. I am NOT going to shoot this thing on my arm/bicept! Not to fly in the face of tradition here but I will grind the whole point off the plate and have it look like Hades before I settle in for a day of heavy loads. That top point gouges me when I hold it too low and the bottom point gouges me when I hold it higher. Something has gotta be physically done to this thing. With a light load it is fine. With a heavy one it is punishment!  A .458 win mag does not bother me. 3 1/2" heavy duck loads all morning are fine. This pointed butt thing has a ring of bruises and swollen spots on my shoulder that caused my wife to gasp!!  Gotta do something here besides just move the pain around. :-()

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Listen to what more experienced shooters are telling you. Hold it out on the arm more. They know.  :Doh!
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
8) "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline FG1

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
I think if it wer me , Id find a flatter butt plate and put it on . Sounds like too much gun for the style of butt plate .
NRA Life Member

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
you're not "just moving the pain around"...do a little research into historical shooting styles and you will see what we are talking about....no one here that's offered advice is trying to hurt you further....you can try what's offered as good advice or do what you "think" is right...your gun, your money...but "we" do know what works....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:21 PM »
Mark, that crescent butt isn't styled to fit your shoulder, it's SUPPOSED to fit around your upper arm...  :Doh!
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Uhhh... yeah.  What these guys said!  Trust me, they've been at it a long time with bigger bore guns than that!  They know their stuff.   :shake
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
mark, I would have to agree with the others here. These curved butts are NOT made to fit the shoulder. That dosn't mean to say that you may have to re-cnnfigure the butt to work properly if you have exceptionally large arms and shoulders. This is one reason for having a custom fit when having a gun built.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »
If you don't want to shoot off your arm (which is what that buttplate is designed for) take off the plate, smooth the wood and put a flat piece of metal or horn on the butt. It is a "backwoods" Southern rifle, correct? Them good old boys were the Kings of making it work with what they had. Many did not even have buttplates ( I'm not reccomending that tho). But in the end, it is your rifle, do what makes you happy.
Bruce

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »
Removed comment
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
The buttplate DOES not go clear out on the bicep - do like the old timers did who shot these big  bores - raise your right arm so the elbow is level with your shoulder - you can then put the plate just to the outside of the shoulder pocket - trust me and the others with this - I've shot 8 bore muzzleloaders like that and no pain. Do a lot of dry firing and mounting the gun in this position and once you get used to it it will become second nature...
First of course let the bruising go away.........then lower that 180 grain load to 140 or so at most - IMO there's just no need for that much powder for any game on this continent and FWIW I've hunted moose, bear, and elk for about 40 years with a .54 or .58 and have taken shoulder shots a lot especially on bear.......
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf