Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Sadistic buttstock is killing me!!  (Read 4467 times)

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
This is what I prefered having against my shoulder when I was shooting stout loads with rilfes, I still have the wide buttplates on my smoothbores but use a lot less powder now days

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
Sadisdic buttstock is killing me!
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:12 AM »
This has been a very interesting and "informative " discussion. although it wandered a little off corse from the basic theme, I think a disscussion like this can bring out muc vital information
           It appears we wound up talking about the killing effect of 100% pure lead projectiles to those containing alloy that keeps the expantion to a much lessor degree. I know many here also do now or have in the past been high-power cartridge rifle shooters. Before the high speed camera became a factor in external ballistics. The experimenting was on water jugs,jello blocks ,phone books, pine boards and animal flesh. Some of the pioneers in this field were Jack o'conners Col. atkins Elmer Kieth and a few other old guys. Both the goverment and ammunition producers paid close attention to what theres old guys were doing. They would have an idea  about penetration and expansion and roll their own bulletsn and put it to the test ( sort of like were doing here).
             Most here i'm sure know why "ball' or full copper jacket prjectiles were agreed on by the Geneva convention. The ballammo would put a soldier out of action but still do a minimum of bone flesh trama. and up untill Korea it took at least two other soliders to stabalize and remove the wounded person to an aid station. This thery didn't hold true when the n.koreans charged , they just left the dead and wounded on the field and usrd them for traction.
              Sorry, I got wandering. The point I'm trying to make is , many here have different theory s as to what is the best kind of wound to inflict to put an animal down as close to the point of impact as possible.Like all subjects in black powder muzzloading we all have our own pet theroys. We are restricted  more by bore capasity and the law of dimminishing returns in muzzleloadding than in modern cartridge guns This being the case we should be able to work up what suitsa us as an individual with less experimenting.
               There are those of us that feel rapid expansin of the projectile will impart the greatest trama to the animal and tthis is a desireable trait. there are those who feel deep penetration is the way to go. Its my opinion that a combination of the two is best. As with the "ball" ammo used by the military the wound channel is basically the same dia. and the projectile nearly alwas exits near the same dia. as it entered. This would be the case with projectiles cast from ww or lintype. We must also take in consideration that in general we are limited in the largerbore muzzloaders to velocitys UNDER 2500 PSI. Now if we were to look up the tests done by Ed Yard and a few other researchers we will find that to try to drive a large bore muzzleloading projectile beyond this will end up destroying accy. and getting severe punishment on the butt end of the weapon. This is where balance comes into beeing a factor.We need to cast a projectie that we fell will give some expansion and deep or complete through penetration with acceptable accy.
                Say we settle on stright ww lead and cast with it. the projectiles will be just slightly lighter than pure lead. We patch and lube with our favorite materials and set up our target at 25 yds. put in a moderate powder load of ,say 130grs. 2f and fire a five round group. if it looks to be good up the charge to 135grs. etc.etc. untill the groupstarts to expand. in the 62cal this may take place at 150 to 160grs. at this point drop back 5grs. and now we are going to check for penetration and expantion. Gather up all the phone books and pack them ia box back to back and fire your new accurate load into the ohone books. measure the number of books or part books it cut through. This test can also be done with pine boards but phone books are cheap. Now if you feel that the penetration is less than what you desire .Cast some more adding lintyp yo the mix and try the penetration test again.
               This sounds like a lot of time and work but if you are seeking the ultimate load projectile combination than this is how its done. Remember no matter how much powder you stuff in the bore you reach a point of bore capacity or diminishing returns. Personally I like pure lead and moderate loads. If I;m looking to have a bruised body I'll get kicked by a mule.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
I seem to remember some one some where had a formula that could be used to calculate how much powder could be used in a muzzleloader.  This formula established based on bore, barrel length, ball weight, powder grade (ffg/fffg etc.) just how much powder could be burned in the barrel before it was expelled out the muzzle unburned.

Anyone know where that is? :?   Somehow 200 gr loads in a .62 cal just seems like a waste to me.  E. Baker in in the 1820's said that as a rule of thumb, 1/3 the weight of the bullet was the appropriate weight of powder.  .610 ball=342 gr. (today) which leads to 110+/- grs.  

Also, going in one side and out the other does not equate to killing power.  Consider the .45 vs 9mm handguns today, a 9mm goes in one side and out the other due to velocity but the lowly .45 goes in one side and stops transferring all of its energy to the target. (it has to get up to do anything else after being hit)
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
I think there is quite a bit of the information you speak of in the Lymanblackpowder Loading manual. The idea of shock transfer was a point i tried to make. the full copper jacket military round punched clean through the body transfering only a small amount of its potential energy. If you were to make that projectile into a hollowpoint or unclad lead tip it would destroy much flesh and bone and the expansion factor would transfer as much as 75% of its energy to the wound area. This is the era when Remington cameout with the Corlok and winchester with the silver tip etc. controlled expansion they called it.
            I also have some articles by Ed yard on chamber/breech preasures in relationship to black powder loads. The preasure test barrels were made by TC. I am a beleiver in pure lead balls. lead by its very nature tends to stay together.when we start to harden it up with alloys it can shatter even on a rib bone pure lead will deflect as a unit and continue to transfer its energy as a unit. Most balls recovered lose only about 10% or less of their starting weight. In most cases the pure lead ball will travel through to the other side of the animal and be found lodged under tth skin onthe far side.This ,to me, would indicate that ALL the available energy was transfered to the wound channel
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
I have always liked the 1 1/2 times the cal. for a powder charge .50 cal 75 gr powder .62 cal 90+ gr powder not heavy loads but more than enough for N.American game. at sensable ranges.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "tg"
I have always liked the 1 1/2 times the cal. for a powder charge .50 cal 75 gr powder .62 cal 90+ gr powder not heavy loads but more than enough for N.American game. at sensable ranges.

This is also something I heard many years ago when I was spending time in Texas with the Paso Del Norte Muzzleloaders.
I recall one gentlemen in particular took it on his own to take the "newer" shooters under his wing, and this 1.5 measurement was preached until they had it coming out their ears!

I think as a starter, the old rule has merit.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Quote from: "tg"

This is also something I heard many years ago when I was spending time in Texas with the Paso Del Norte Muzzleloaders.
I recall one gentlemen in particular took it on his own to take the "newer" shooters under his wing, and this 1.5 measurement was preached until they had it coming out their ears!

I think as a starter, the old rule has merit.

Uncle Russ...

I agree completely.  It has always worked best for me with all my rifles.  I've tinkered around with other loads but always come back to the 1 1/2 times the caliber.  This might just be an old addage that was lost to history except for a few that it was passed on to and they as well passed it on.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
I may bump it up a few grains to pull a group tighter but I have just never had any need to shoot 120 grs. in a .54 or 58 the animals I shot evidntly did not watch me load my gun, they died rather nicely with the moderate load, more power to those who like to shoot the max loads I just have not found them to be of any benifit.

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
Wyosmith:
Is those types of butt pads acceptable on a Hawkin. Cause me thinks thats what I want on a .62.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
180gr of 2F is an insane load, IMHO. Cut it in half and I think you will be very happy.

I loaded my 20bore NW gun with 70gr of 3f and feared nothing in Alaska.

It is a ML .62 rifle, not a bolt action .338 Ultra Mag...

Mario

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
I notice quite a few of you are advocating the use of wheel weights for RBs.You had better stock up because the day of lead wheel weights is very limited.California has banned their use this year even suing Chrysler to force them to stop selling cars so equipped .Since California is the biggest market for new cars I don't see mfgs using different kinds.All of the left coast is on board.Costco and Walmart and many more are joining in voluntarily.It is the goal of the EPA to eliminate them nationwide by 2011.Europe has allready done so.The vise is closing on the use of  lead for any purpose. The total lead ban is being pusued deliberately and very cleverly by banning its use in areas where there is little or no resistance,pretty soon the only users will be shooters then watch out.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
Words of wisdom there Charlie!

And I gotta agree with ya ....the writing is on the wall. And has been for some time now.

The more I read of the "reasoning" behind much of this, the more I wonder how this person, or that person ever got elected if they actually believe the nonsense they're spouting off....and there in lies the root of the problem.

It's not that they actually believe a lot of this garbage, but they know that by passing this law, or that law they are getting closer to their ultimate goal, and that is to totally disarm every law abiding citizen, or fix it to where they have nothing to shoot in the guns they were unable to take away from ya.

Yep, grab what wheel weights and lead you can while the grabbing is still good.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »
When selecting material to cast up round balls consider this as well.  A .610 ball made of pure lead weighs 342 grs.  made of wheel weights it weighs 329 grs. and made from linotype it weighs only 314 grs.  If you want hitting power pure lead is the way to go.  At 13 grs lighter wheel weights aren't too bad but at 28 grs lighter than lead linotype is a big step down.  Almost 9% lighter.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
I have done quite a bit lead smelting, for my modern rifles, not bringing the modern thing up other then to illustrate a point. Many muzzleload shooters around here advocate pure lead when shooting whether it be for hunting or target. But when you start talking vel. > 1600 fps. you need to stop and rethink the pure lead idea, trust me on this pure lead > then these vel. will flatten out like a pancake on what ever it hits and two things are going to happen not all the time but enough time that it will cost you eventually.
1. It will flatten out and make a total mess.
2. You will not get the penetration you would with something along the lines of wheel weight.
If you do have a source of pure lead you can make it harder by adding antimony.
I do not have it handy, but there are some good sources on the Internet for exact recipe's.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
I just got back. What a nice discussion!! Very informative! I shouldered my .62 with the killer stock out on my arm like you guys said do and it felt pretty good. I put it just off the shoulder at the base of the delts at the very top of the connection of the bicept and it felt like it got that sadistic point off the meat enough to be comfortable.  It will take a little getting used to! I am an old competition shotgun shooter and assault rifle shooter and I am used to really tucking my weapon in tight on the shoulder and getting a good cheek weld on the stock so this out on the upper end of the arm thing is a little different. However, I trust you guys enough to try it....probably this evening.  The lead discussion above is good. Sounds like for my purposes I need some wheel weights maybe with a little linotype mixed in for some expansion and almost certain deep penetration(exit) with a hefty powder charge. I just gotta get me a mold!