Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Newbie to flintlocks  (Read 2630 times)

Offline MedicineSoldier

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
DGW called and sold the rifles and kits as the "Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle."   Basically their version of what many consider as a southern mountain rifle.  Terminology used for sales purposes sometimes gets a bit confusing if not misleading.  Take two similar factory rifles from different distributors and one is called a Kentucky rifle and the other is called a Pennsylvania rifle.  And neither of them may be truly close to either style.

Medicine Soldier
I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
 – George Mason

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
I finally got to shoot the Flinter. I was using .350 balls and after about a dozen shots I never had to swab the barrel. With that said accuarcy was poor in my opinion. We set up at 50yrds and with different charges and trying .010 & .15 patches I was lucky to get a 3" group. What are the different dia. for the .36 cal. With not having to swab the barrel i`m thinking the ball was maybe too small.  Any opinions ?
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
i would think that the .15 patch with that diameter ball would have worked just fine, what are you using for lube?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
i would think that the .15 patch with that diameter ball would have worked just fine, what are you using for lube?

Spit or Borebutter.  Also, It went down the barrel pretty easy.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Sounds to me like you are just shooting.  Lots of fun, but it isn't telling you anything.
Bring it back to 25 yards, decide on a starting point for a powder charge, like 20 grains.  Use your .350 ball and your .015 patch lubed with saliva.
Fire a three shot group from the bench.
Wipe the bore.
Post a fresh target and mark the first target with your load.
Increase your charge to 25 grains and repeat the process.
Increase to 30 grains and repeat the process.
Increase to 35 grains and repeat the process.
Increase to 40 grains and repeat the process.
Increase to 45 grains and repeat the process.
You should notice at some point that the group is getting smaller and smaller, then it starts to increase.  You can try to adjust your measure by a grain or so or decrease but that is getting pretty picky.
Now that you have found your good charge, then you can start working on fine tuning the load.  go to .018 ticking if you want.  Or .020 patching.  Try some different lubes.
If the .350 is a little loose, you might find some .355 or .360's somewhere.  Try them.
There is more to it than the old 3 shot zero they taught us in the Army with the old M-14's.  And that is all part of the fun.
I stress the 25 yard range instead of the 50, because that pretty much alleviates atmospheric problems, like wind.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 06:23:56 AM »
Now that mension it, it was pretty windy that day. I also thought about double patching. I`ve only had it out once and like I said i`m new to the flintlock game. Working up the right load is all the fun. It took me about 3 months to get my .50 cal. shooting but it sure was fun gettin` it there. She`ll shoot tight all day long now.

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
I personally haven't found borebutter at all   slippery & don't think it is much of a "lubricant" Have come to like Old Swamp Hunter or Mink Oil (Track of Wolf), but I am far from a Lube Expert.
I'll save my lifetime supply of borebutter variations to squish over top of revolver balls.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 08:50:26 PM »
Quote from: "James Kelly"
I personally haven't found borebutter at all   slippery & don't think it is much of a "lubricant" Have come to like Old Swamp Hunter or Mink Oil (Track of Wolf), but I am far from a Lube Expert.
I'll save my lifetime supply of borebutter variations to squish over top of revolver balls.

I`m sure borebutter is no worst than a patch full of slobber and tooth goo. I can`t see that being very slick either  :lol:

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
Its amazing just how slick Spit is. :shock:

I assume that when you were shooting the other day you had the gun on sand bags or some such and where on a solid bench?  If not there was so much of YOU in each shot that the rifle capability was pretty much canceled out.  You have good days and bad days the rifle just has days.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm fairly new to this but not to shooting in general. There is no substitute for a good bench and sandbag rest to take the human factor out when you are working up a load and testing the accuracy potential for your rifle.  I also suggest you swab the bore after every shot while developing a load. Dirty bores often do not shoot as well or even to the same point of impact as clean ones. If you hunt, you will most likely fire your first shot at game from a clean bore so it just makes sense to me to regulate my load and sights with a clean bore, at least clean as it can be with a spit patch followed by a dry one between shots. Opinions differ on range but to me 25 yards is too close. Most all guns, centerfire included, will rag out a hole at 25 yards but some of them shoot like crap on down range.  50 yards is a good place to get your sights set and see sort of what your gun will do. 100 yards is to me at least the final real acid test of the gun's capability off the bench. Everyone has his own criteria for what is acceptable. For me, I want my rifle to reliably put three balls in a decent group on a common index card(3"x5") at 100 yards off the bench. If a rifle will reliably do that off the bench, I KNOW that any missing I do is my own fault and not my rifle. I have no experience with smaller calibers so my experience may not help you. However, on a still day I suspect my process will work for you. FWIW a 3" group at 50 yards standing or offhand is darn fine shooting. However, 3" off the sandbag bench at 50 is pretty mediocre. Actually to me, 3" at 100 off the bench is pretty mediocre. JMO Hope this helps. :-)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
Agree w sand bags. Would say that last fall getting to know my .45 cal Pedersoli Frontier it seemed to have "days" or maybe "hours" of its own, relating, it seemed, to Michigan humidity late in the day. Mostly spit patch, from rest, shots stringing up and down at 50yds. (that part really was not me). Experience w that Other Lube caused me to make a new ramrod.
Recall that Cocoa Beach might not be all that arid?
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst