Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Best flints  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
Best flints
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »
Looking to buy some flints so I am just wondering, what do you guys think is the best type of flint and where can I find them?

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Best flints
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
For my money,  the best are Tom Fuller's black English flints, available at Track of the Wolf. The price is not too bad if you buy them by the dozen.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:03:32 AM by amm1851 »
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
I agree with amm1851.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Neolithics Flintknapping Supply and Stonewall Creek Outfitters are also worth a look/comparison shopping.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Tom Fuller's black English flints is what I use. I like 'em!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
ome more for Fuller's :hairy
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
Neolithics Flintknapping Supply and Stonewall Creek Outfitters are also worth a look/comparison shopping.
Maven, when looking at those websites you provided, a little something came to mind.
I prefer the "flat-top" flints and have always made mine using a "Mittzie Wheel" on a dremel tool.
On the web sites you provided the flat-tops are actually pictured.

Not that long ago, Ohio Joe informed me you can easily get flat-tops when ordering from TOTW by simply noting your preference.....something I had never realized before.

Also, a few months back I came across a bag of flints in my shop that I had long forgotten about.
I found 43 new flints that came about because TMA once made a "group buy" and, if memory serves me right, I bought five dozen....it was such a great deal I thought I better get all I might need for a while,  of course that's the very same reason Wal-Mart sends people out to greet me when they see me coming, they know I'm an easy mark. :P

However,  all the flints were peaked, not flat-top, so I suspect I will have to continue using my dremel and Mitizie Wheel until those are gone.

Thanks for sharing that information.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
gun flints are at least a bit subjective.  there are to basic types, "common" and "fine".  a common gun flint is typically thick and a pair of beveled edges where at least one slopes less and is used for the cutting edge against a hammer steel.  sometimes the other steeper bevel can be used to spark as well.  the fine gun flint is thin, with one almost knife-like low sloping cutting edge.  some say that a fine gun flint is more fragile and won't last as long as a common gun flint because it's not as robust a build, but boy do fine gun flints spark a big bunch ... it'll take a fine gun flint any day.  TOTW sells black english flints, which i prefer, and as mentioned are called "tom fuller flints" ... last i heard, tom fuller has passed but his name carries on.

i'm a terrible gun flint knapper, but i did manage to flake off a fine gun flint of georgetown, texas, chert that i stuck in a lyman trade rifle, and she do spark mighty nice ...

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
I also use mostly Fuller flints from TOTW.  But still have some of Rich Pierce's white flints.  There's a good handful of mixed flints from a 5 lb bag I bought with a friend a good while back.  They were very old and from a recently found cache.  Most were huge flints for larger locks than we're use to.  There were broken pieces that were perfect for the early English and large Siler locks.  A lot of them were amber French flints and they are very good.  Most of the flints seem to last a long time.  The huge ones could be cut in half and make two nice rifle flints.  I have a couple of guns right now with those flints installed.

I, too, didn't know you could specify flat top flints from TOTW; but I do now.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks Hanshi...I've been trying since yesterday to remember Rich's name  :Doh! I too use mostly Tom Fuller English flints, but I still have some left from Rich.  I use them mostly in a .40 pistol.  Rich was a great guy to deal with...
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »
Al, I have used Rich's flints and also have some left. Last I talked with Rich, he wasn't making flints anymore - though he told me that if I was really in need, he get me some. So maybe he's doing them again? I don't know?  :shake

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »
They've been my favorites for quite a few years. Last I heard, he's quit making them.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »
RussB said
"Not that long ago, Ohio Joe informed me you can easily get flat-tops when ordering from TOTW by simply noting your preference.....something I had never realized before. "

Russ how do you do that? I went to the site but I could not find how to select flat top flints.

Thanks
IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 11:54:30 PM »
RussB said
"Not that long ago, Ohio Joe informed me you can easily get flat-tops when ordering from TOTW by simply noting your preference.....something I had never realized before. "

Russ how do you do that? I went to the site but I could not find how to select flat top flints.

Thanks
IronHand

Not Russ, but I can answer this...

At the end of your transaction there is a comment box. Just type in "I would prefer Flat Top Flints" Thanks!

-or-

If you're ordering by mail with check or money order, just drop them a note along with your order.

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
I too prefer flat top flints and have used the usual black english flints, as well as french amber flints, and even the white chert flints with satisfactory results. If I had to choose one style, I'd probably choose the french amber. Black english come in a close second.

K