Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A muzzleloader tale - cap to flint conversion  (Read 1829 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: A muzzleloader tale - cap to flint conversion
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
When a original was converted to percussion  it was for a better ignition  but today when it is converted back is mostly for financial gain which is destroying the guns heritage
Feltwad

true dat ... but sometimes the conversion back to its original form is for function, or maybe just for restoration back to whence it was originally created.  for me, it's all good - pick out what mindset seems to feel best.

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
good scoop to hear, semi - thanx for posting that, gives me hope it'll be a piece of cake ......didja have any issues with the touch hole liner mating up propery with the lock's pan, for the "sunset location"?  that also can be critical.

The touch hole lined up perfectly. It looks as though when these guns are designed to be either caplock or flintlock. All dimensions are the same.  The only difference is whether the factory installs a percussion lock and drum & nipple, or flint lock and touch hole liner as the last step.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
good scoop to hear, semi - thanx for posting that, gives me hope it'll be a piece of cake ......didja have any issues with the touch hole liner mating up propery with the lock's pan, for the "sunset location"?  that also can be critical.

The touch hole lined up perfectly. It looks as though when these guns are designed to be either caplock or flintlock. All dimensions are the same.  The only difference is whether the factory installs a percussion lock and drum & nipple, or flint lock and touch hole liner as the last step.

that's what pedersoli told me, that the gun was designed for interchangeable ignition lock systems, but good to hear back from the real world that it appears to be so. thanx!  :shake

Offline JohnCWF

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:55 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I've had a percussion Frontier sitting in the box for 6 months just trying to work up the courage to make the conversion. I have Pedersoli's flint lock. You make it sound too easy... guess I'll have to be inspired and give it a try...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
hold on a bit with the conversion ...

after pulling the bolster i cleaned out the threads and lubed them lightly with Nikal anti-seize grease.  then i went to screw in the M8x1.25 thread touch hole liner - it went in a few turns and then it was literally impossible to screw it down fully.  it's as if the threads are of a different size.  i queried pedersoli and they're sending me their M8x1.25 touch hole liner gratis, to see if there's a difference.  will post the results here.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »
Had the same problem with the touch hole liner when I converted my Frontier 36 from cap to flint.  I just ground off the back side of the liner a thread or two, and while I was at it i coned the inside of the liner.  The L&R lock is a good sparker.  I use French amber flints, and have yet to have failure to fire, as long as the flint is sharp.
I think you will be happy with the conversion, I know I was.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
they're sending me their M8x1.25 touch hole liner gratis, to see if there's a difference.  will post the results here.

Hi Rob,

It's more than a year later.  Did you get that screw yet?   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
they're sending me their M8x1.25 touch hole liner gratis, to see if there's a difference.  will post the results here.

Hi Rob,

It's more than a year later.  Did you get that screw yet?   :laffing

~Kees~

hah!  it's been awhile, hah?  :Doh!  ;D

i honestly don't remember if they did send off a new liner to test out, that gun didn't last long in my safe, sold it to another club member.  oh well.  so many guns, so little time.  :wave  :*: